Anyone with a 10 degree slope on driveway? Big favor to ask | FerrariChat

Anyone with a 10 degree slope on driveway? Big favor to ask

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by AlexBen, Mar 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Hello everyone,

If this post is not appropriate feel free to remove.

I’ve had plans for a few months to sell my ‘04 996 Turbo Cab for a Cali 30 but haven’t found the right trade yet. In the meantime, I am looking to buy a new house (currently under construction) in Bergen county (Paramus) and the engineer is telling me that the slope of the driveway will be 10 degrees. I was hoping someone on the forum had a similar slope on their so I can see if the 996TT can actually pass there. Obviously I checked the manufacturer measurements and the front end is said to be at 7.9 degrees but with wheels turned it could be ok. But nothing replaces a real life try hence my question: does anyone have such slope on their driveway so I can give it a try on a Sunday morning please?

Thanks very much for the help

Alex

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    LOL sounds like something I might have done years ago ... I hate damaging my cars too which is why my DD is a 22 year old K2500 Suburban with a 454. Impossible to scrape anything with the lift on that thing and curb rash is also not going to happen. I'm in Hudson county and roads here are abysmal.
    Maybe you should try and simulate it with a couple of planks on a car lift?

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Perhaps you can counter the slope by entering the driveway at a very step angle - almost perpendicular and turning into it. Backing out, the same procedure. One wheel at a time. I dont know the slope of my driveway, but its enough I slide down it while shoveling snow every year. All our cars, we enter at a steep angle, never head-on. Front wheel drive has an easier time of it. Many, many cars who have thought they can turn around in my driveway I have heard scraping the undercarriage from the rear of my house. And my driveway has the scars to prove it.

4. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    You won't be able to go straight up it but will have to turn into it at an angle that feels like you are trying to drive across its face before turning up, if that makes any sense. My driveway is very steep but I have learned to navigate it with a 997.2 at stock height as well as a 360 and 599. To pull out I actually have to roll down in reverse and turn before I hit the end of the driveway so I am perpendicular and then drive out on a similar angle.

5. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Thanks very much for the feedback, everyone. Yes I keep in my back pocket the trick of turning sharply before entering the driveway (and similarly in reverse).

6. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Do you know the steepness of your driveway? The front of the 599 seems quite low as well

7. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It's at least 10 degrees. The 599 is tough, the 997.2 much easier to deal with.

AlexBen likes this.
  8. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    Its not really so much the degree of slope so much as it is the shape of the driveway and length of the transition as it goes from flat to steep. Since the driveway has not been constructed yet talk to the contractor - he should be able to build the transition point in such a way that it will not bottom out. Unless for some reason the drive way must have an abrupt transition to 10 degrees the contractor should be able to make the change gradual enough so as to not bottom out. May necessitate some retaining walls along the side of the driveway which you may or may not like.