Anyone with information on the current 94s on the market? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone with information on the current 94s on the market?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Auraraptor, Dec 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh i didnt understand this either. Cars/interest on cars was never deductible.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #27 Melvok, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ALL Testa and 512TR/M oem diffs blow Darius, I may have shown pics in my thread about gb's ...

Only way to go is to get rid of the oem diff and replace it in order to make your car safe ... also for the 512M ...

Happy to say that there are at least two firms that can help you on these (imo) upgrades. :D

The mentionned car has a new diff and should be O.K. for now.

But if I would be interested in that 512TR I would indeed ask about this repair ...

As said: all oem diffs blow ....

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Mel. I didn't realise...thought the late TRs and Ms had reliable diffs.

vincenzo likes this.
  4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #29 sherrillt, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Hate to and don’t want to start this up again, but it makes me fume to see others talking baseless absolutes. as my position has been for the past decade there is NO proof ALL fail and even recalled Brian and other techs chime in who work on these cars regularly echo likewise. I’m at over 30k and no issues to date and I’m a regular driver unlike most. I watched new owners come and go over the years on here with comments on this unfounded urban myth claiming the gloom and doom. Not saying a problem doesn’t exist and some owners haven’t had a failure, but there are NO absolutes in this case and there is not a means to actually determine definitively.

Now if you’re going to say ALL hood struts/shocks fail...that would be correct.

vincenzo and Melvok like this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #30 Melvok, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Sorry to be a bugger ... not reliable, they are different and stronger ... but we have pics of blown '94 oem diffs ...

That's why we can say: it's not a matter of IF but its WHEN :D

So imo one solution to keep your F in shape; upgrade your TR/512TR and 512M diffs always ....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Aren't the late 94 and M diff carriers forged and not welded? Is this a picture of a 94/M diff?

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    So, @Melvok, having scared us all witless about failing 94+ TR and M diffs, you have any evidence?

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #33 Melvok, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Please Barry .... of course .... take your time and read: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512tr-gearbox-problem.343161/

Many more diffs went down and were not reported ... be sure ... they will all go eventually.

Simply because the were made for (Ferrari F365) 300 Hp's and not more ....

In the 512TR/m there is 400+ available ....

9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I have read all of that thank you. Apart from one picture of a carrier with some work bearing (which could have happened for any number of reasons from poor workmanship onwards), there is nothing to suggest a 94+/M carrier has ever failed, To suggest that they will all fail is scaremongering unless you mean in in the same way as the Earth being swallowed by the sun which will happen eventually, but not one to lose sleep on.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well, you don't have that diff problem yourself Barry ...

If you had a 512TR or M, I am almost sure you would not take any risk that its diff might break, now knowing the absurd price to repair it all again.

Better safe than sorrow :D

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Is there any evidence that a non-welded once piece OEM diff from 94+/M has broken?

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #37 Melvok, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    I have had some in my hands ... if that is enough ? For me it is ...

Under this bearing was a breaking ...

Attached Files:

13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    are there any tips on how to prevent like shifting etc and what early signs to look for before major damages?

14. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    What exactly has failed under the bearing on this one given there is no weld?

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry: no :)

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  17. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Thanks. This is an old-type welded TR carrier as you say. Do you have a similar photo with the later 94+/M forged one piece carrier showing the same issue?

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The photo above this one is the '95 "new" oem diff. I have no more.

At the time (7 years ago) I had no clue about collecting these photo's ... happy with this one.

My damage was then repaired ... since then all info flooded in ...

B.t.w ... why all the interest ? Planning to obtain a 512TR/M ?

19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I am looking at a 94 TR with a gearbox number > 1315. So, in theory, it has the new forged diff carrier. No one here has ever reported a break in the new forged version, and you say you have a picture of a broken 94+/M diff but the the break his hidden under the bearing. It is not that I don't believe that what you are saying is true, but I would like to see concrete evidence that the later OEM diffs also break. So far I have not seen any.

And if all you have is one photo of a OEM 94+ diff that doesn't show a break, then your claim that all OEM diffs including the newer forged ones WILL break is a big stretch.

Does anyone else have a broken 94+/M diff story?

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #45 Melvok, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    We have seen gb's of the newer versions (>1315) in which we foud 512TR diffs (exploded) ... I wonder why ...

I wish you all the luck, if any info on the 512TR is needed give me a shout ... :)

Be careful where you buy one ... and have it fully PPI'd ...

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice 1994 512TR for sale in NL: and why was the diff renewed ?

With two previous owners and just 28,000 km on the clock, this is a superbly beautiful and authentic 512 TR. Purchased from new, in October 1994 from Auto-Neuser.
    In keeping with its` low-mileage the bodywork is pristine. It has black leather upholstery and many luxury accessories. It has the original TR rims.
    It has been fully maintained by Ferrari as evidenced by the stamped service books. At the last service, at 27.000 km, the car had a top-to-toe revision.
    New timing belt and belt tensioners, aircon service, and most importantly a diff revision/adjustment at a cost of € 13,000.-, formed part of this in-depth major service.
    Full documentation is available. The cars` performance is undiminished and the handling a dream. This is an exceptionally lovely and sound 512 TR and one we rarely see.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Mel - you have hit the problem I am faced with. i plan to do a full PPI, and now include a boroscope inspection of the gb, and diff if possible.

But, I was looking for a 94+ car because it has the upgraded diff, and and paying more than a comparable 1992 or 93 car, and now if you are saying 94+ cars can also have diff failures then why pay a premium. I might as well buy a 1992-93 and spend the extra money on upgrading the diff carrier myself and also possibly the input shaft to the Australian one offered by Rob Hayden who is a member here I think.

So, now I am wondering whether the extra premium the 94 cars are asking is worth it.

Nice 512TR by the way.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even with a boroscope you may not see if the diff is broken or not.
    newman once has written that he put out a diff and only when it was out he has seen that it was broken
    when you will see with a boroscope a broken diff then mostly there are also more things damaged already.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    A 512TR of 1994 does has more value imo because it has the ABS system which previous 512TR's do not have.

But have it tested ... one member over here (who has a prugna '94) bought one .... but after a while we noted that the ABS was not in working order ...

He also upgraded his diff to an upgraded diff ... :)

If you don't want ABS, get a '92 or'93 512TR ... mine was '92 ... and I did not miss it :D

And .... you do not need the "upgraded shaft" ... this shaft is sort of "fuse" for the gb.

Installing a heavier one gives greater chance of breaking the box imo.

I live near Deventer in NL, visit me ...

25. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I agree that the OEM 512M input shaft is too thick to act as a fuse. However, I understand from Rob Hayden'sthread about 6 years ago that his alternative was made of metal that allowed greater twisting than either of the OEM shafts, and transferred the drive more progressively. Again, I am going by what I read.