AOL Autos: Mondial 8 "Five Worst Car Designs of All Time" | FerrariChat

AOL Autos: Mondial 8 "Five Worst Car Designs of All Time"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sammyb, Dec 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #1 sammyb, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    REALLY???? I mean, c'mon, the Mondial 8 isn't even the worst looking FERRARI, how can it be on this list. I suppose it's because the f*$(tards who write this excuse for automotive journalism have never attended a concours or own more than a NADA guide for car books!

To which I ask of the clownshoes who contributed to this disaster of a car article: "How is it that all of the worst car designs in history are all cars most people have heard of and are in the last 35 years?" What -- a Sabra or Shamrock too freaking esoteric for your meager knowledgebase concerning the subject about which you're writing?

Look, I'm not the world's biggest fan of the Mondial 8, and I've spent a lot of time around one. That being said, while it's not the best looking, at least it's not an ugly car (especially in coupe form, which was pictured in the article)...plus they drive much better than their acceleration tests would have one believe.

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I have to agree.........
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    with AOL Autos! ;)

3. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    To rank the Mondial 8, in the same class as the Aztek, is asinine.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 JoeZaff, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks to AOL, we get to relive this discussion every three months. Seriously, with all due respect to the OP (who I am sure was unaware of the prior threads), this has been discussed to death, and every time it comes back up. we give more credibility to it.

Nobody, and I mean nobody who is not trying to sell papers or get web attention, would ever put the Mondial, or any other Ferrari as one of the worst cars ever made. Its just silly.

There are SOOOOOO many bad cars out there that an honest article would have been boring as hell!

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yep. Mention 'Ferrari' to gain an audience. Wanna bet how many people remember or have heard of a Matador? Same old.

6. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Apologies for not realizing it was a repost of the original feature. I never go on AOL's site, but I just got a new computer and it was assigned as my home page. On the plus side, this laptop is a screamer compared to the ten-year-old desktop it replaced. I happen to like classic cars, but I think using classic computers was a bad call for the last few years ;).

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    LOL

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #9 jgoodman, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The Mondial is hideous...its worse the the Aztek. i cant even put into words how ugly it is.

Just kidding...I love Mondials :D

10. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

That was close! I was about to launch a missle.

11. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Forget the Mondial 8, the Mondial t is the worst car ever. Every three years you have to pull the engine out. I don't think even the Yugo or the Hyundai Excel were that bad. :)

dave

12. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Hey, I like the Hyundai Excel...I'm launchin' a missile (it's made out of a Yugo, with spare parts from a K-car)!!!

BTW, I like the Mondial a lot...especially the coupe version. I actually made a serious offer on one before I bought my 328, only the seller didn't want to complete a transaction on ebay so I could obtain the financing.

You can take your wife and kid in the Mondial. Now I have to leave one at home.

13. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    LOL on this one
    I pair the fair weather days driver 82 Mondial 8 with a Jeep Compass for a light duty cheap transportation rain vehicle--both seem to do well for their respective purposes.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only reason they pick on the Mondial is they think nobody knows the 400 (the other often bashed Ferrari) to get the proper shock value.

The reason they do this is to get attention and sound smug: (wow! A ferrari was actually judged awful!). It's the car version of picking on the rich guy.

It's ridiculous. There is no way the Mondial should be anywhere in this discussion.

I would suggest to the author they put a Mondial next to a Nissan GT-R and tell me -- which is prettier. End of story (and his credibility as a critic).

15. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Right on the money. Shock value all the way.

Also, re: the GT-R, I remember the first time I saw one on the road. It pulled up next to me while I was in my Dodge Ram 2500. The GT-R made my truck feel small.

16. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Sooooo, which one? I bet its the wife! lol :)