Apartment Hunting in Honolulu...Recs? | FerrariChat

Apartment Hunting in Honolulu...Recs?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by koreanguy, Apr 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koreanguy

koreanguy Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    Hey everyone! Long time member that enjoys reading more than posting.
    I'll be moving to Oahu in June for 1 year. Any tips or places you recommend living around downtown or ala moana area? I'm trying to be smart with $$ and hopefully keeping rent ~$2000. I've been told to stay away from waikiki due to traffic and tourists. Again thanks everyone!

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Capital Place is nice and immaculately kept. Directly off the Pali Hwy so pretty easy access to just about anywhere. Moana Pacific is also nice and has a wine bar and restaurant in it. Those are the only two places I have experience with because I live in Kailua. I do have several friends who lie in both of those buildings though. I do agree with steering clear of Waikiki.

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    $2k will get you a relatively nice 1 bd in town.

Living in downtown is convenient for work, but not much atmosphere unless you go to Chinatown for the the parties with the younger crowd. I used to have a place in Harbor Court and it had a great view, but with management changes, you always had to go to your assigned stall if you were there for more than an hour. Residential parking was up on the 11th and 12th levels.

Living in the Kakaako/Ala Moana area is very convenient, but can also be noisy. I like Imperial Plaza or Hawaiki Tower. Nauru Tower is nice, but didn't like the parking. Moana Pacific has a great location, but the parking lot is not gated, and there are lots of people in those two building. Build quality isn't the greatest either. Royal Capitol Plaza gets really hot in the daytime.

Up the block from Kakaako in Makiki is Admiral Thomas. I like that building as the staff is great and it has an awesome location. If you work in downtown, you can walk to work if you desire.

Another place to keep in mind is Nuuanu. You are a hop, skip and a jump away from downtown and Nuuanu is nice and cool. The condos I would suggest in Nuuanu are Craigside, Nuuanu Brookside, Nuuanu Parkside and 2040 Nuuanu.

4. koreanguy

koreanguy Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    thanks guys really appreciate the advice. i've been calling around and everyone keeps saying I'm looking too early!...for a June move in. They all want me to call back in May.

In any case I'll look at the recommended places listed above.
    Moana Pacific looked nice but was ~2500 for a 1 bedroom...a 2 bedroom was only 1-200 more.

5. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Whatever place you get, make sure it has A/C in the bedroom. It gets too hot on Oahu from August through October not to have A/C.

6. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I am gonna be in Hawaii for a week in Mid may for a week,
    Any ideas where to stay ? I am visiting with my other half and we are flying from San Fran.

7. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    I lived downtown in the Executive Center for 8 years and loved it. Location was very central to everything, even though the nightlife was lacking (but Waikiki is just a few minutes away).

Later, I lived in a house near Kahala Mall. Loved that part of town too, but after 2:30p forget about using H-1 - too much traffic. After that, I lived in a house on Alewa Heights. Again centrally located and with a much better view than Executive Centre.

The one place that I really despise living (and even staying at the hotels) is Waikiki. Crowded, busy, noisy and full of tourists. Not my scene.

8. koreanguy

koreanguy Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    Thanks again. Still hunting!

9. koreanguy

koreanguy Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    Anyone have thoughts or experience at Chateau Waikiki on 411 Hobron Ln?
    I know staying clear of Waikiki was key...but was wondering if it was still bad at the west end.

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Chateau Waikiki isn't bad, but the units are small. The area is getting better with the redevelopment, but if you want a little more space, take a look across the street at Villa at Eaton Square.

11. koreanguy

koreanguy Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    Finally got a place. Thanks for the help!

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Where did you rent?