APBA Powerboat action | FerrariChat

APBA Powerboat action

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by AxerJk, Jul 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    There's a short intro, and don't worry - the music stops as soon as the boats start moving. ;) It was my first hydroplane experience, and I definitely plan on going next year, it was fantastic!

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGD9se32MI&list=UUGJJFu2QrwKMwHW9HcS2q_Q&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 4re Nut, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cool stuff. I went a race way back '91, very impressive rigs!

On a somewhat related note (boat racing), this article was recently in our local paper, http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/st_tammany_man_makes_big_splas.html.

Hope you're ok with the thread hijack. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #3 Str8shooter, Jul 26, 2012
    Great video and I enjoyed the drag racing one as well :D

Glad to see you've discovered Unlimited Hydroplane Racing. My father took me to my first race in Miami back in the late 1960s at the old Miami Marine Stadium.
    While they are very cool today with the turbine engines, they were equally cool back in the day when they had big airplane engines which earned them the nickname Thunder boats.

I liked the racing so much I returned every year until they finally stopped racing in Miami. All I had for a camera back then was a kodak Instamatic which didn't work very well at all but here's a few from when I got my first 35mm camera and telephoto lens. I got it just in time to capture the last of the Thunder Boats and the beginning of the turbine age.

Keep up the good work. You're on the right track of creating some memories of your own :)

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Of all the sports where it's said "TV dosent do it
    justice", Unlimited Hydroplanes is definately the one.

Coming from Lakeland, Florida (home of Bernie Little
    and Miss Budweiser fame) we attended the Miami
    Unlimited Hydro events through most of the '80s.

It's absolutely stunning to see a boats that big and
    heavy go as fast as they do in person.

Seems like back in the '80s, there was a boat race
    of just about every type happening in Florida throughout
    the year and Bernie Little was involved with them one
    way or another, hard to find a more inviting group of people.

We met an SST140 driver from Naples who invited us
    to a test he was doing on a private lake that was so remote
    it was a miracle we found it.

Once the team got through their test, the driver offered to
    let us give the boat a go for a few laps. Quite an interesting
    sensation as balancing the power and trimming the boat with
    toggle switches on the wheel to keep it straight and level.

Too bad it's all gone away, apparently the pencil pushers
    made all these great events impossible.

BHW

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I ran across Chip at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1999
    when I was working for the BMW Motorsport Beck's Beer
    LMR V12 team.

We were in the pits waiting for the Thursday night practice
    session to begin. Chip was there in a PR capacity
    for Michelin and was the first to render assistance
    when Tom Kristensen took a tumble off the car
    while practicing driver changes.

He was very recognizable but still spoke rather weakly,
    a result of his massive upper torso injuries in Unlimiteds.

BHW

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #7 Str8shooter, Jul 27, 2012
    I remember those days fondly :)

The Miami Marine Stadium was such a great spot for boat racing and it really is sad they let it slip away. It was a spectacle to watch in person as you soak up the sound and speed under the shade of the grandstands. Always seemed that Miss Budweiser was the one to beat and Bernie Little was quite the character. I remember one year he showed up with a jet boat that he gave rides in between heats and did his best to get a few screams out of his passengers.

When my family moved to Naples I had a drivers license by then and continued to go back every year until they quit racing. I moved on to offshore powerboat racing which seemed equally as crazy for the drivers and spectacular for us spectators. One thing I have yet to see and experience is the drag boats and I have it on my list of things to do.

Here's a few more pics from my days spent at the Miami Marine Stadium and one from an Offshore Powerboat race of the Cocoa Beach pier.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #8 BigTex, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Great shot of Dirty Laundry....

APBA still sanctions the Offshore or did it break up into other management??

I know there were four fatals at the Finals last year...too many.

We really enjoyed the "East meets West" they used to hold in Corpus Christi..
    RIP Jack Carmody.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I discovered unlimited hydroplane racing in Seattle in 1979 and have been a fan ever since. Bill Muncey won the first two races I ever attended in his Atlas Van Lines "Blue Blaster", which is currently being restored by the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum in Kent, WA. Anyone who is a fan of the sport needs to visit the museum if they're ever in Seattle. You can find out more at www.thunderboats.org.

I attended the 1981 unlimited race at Miami Marine Stadium, and marvelled at the difference to the Seattle race. At Miami the boats passed very close in front of you, and the sound reverberating off the grandstand roof was deafening! The Pay N' Pak turbine boat was making its competitive debut (after having flipped during practice at the Tri-Cities race the preceding summer), and it was so quiet that you could actually hear the roostertail water falling back into the bay behind the boat! They had trouble with the salt water on the compressor blades, but took the cowling off and managed to finish.

I also attended the Sailfish Regatta for limited hydros in Jensen Beach the same year. The little boats were certainly fun to watch.

I have since attended unlimited races in Madison, IN, Syracuse, NY, and Philadelphia, but I usually go back to Seattle every 3 years or so and volunteer to conduct pit tours. Along the way I've met Steve Reynolds, Jim Kropfeld and Chip Hanauer, among others. It's a great sport to watch (though I wish someone would bring back the Merlin engine) and I wish that there was more of it. Nowadays, the season-ending race is in Doha, Qatar!

The current sanctioning body for the unlimiteds is called H1 Unlimited http://www.h1unlimited.com/.

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #10 Str8shooter, Jul 27, 2012
    To be honest I never tried to keep up with the politics of Offshore Powerboat racing.
    I do remember when it was one big happy family and guys like Don Johnson raced. The boats were super bad and so was the competition. Then someone got the not so bright idea to start their own series and the division began. It certainly hurt more than it helped the sport.

I grew up in Naples with one of the guys that tragically lost his life last year in Key West. I was also there when Tom Gentry lost his life after spinning out in front of the Pier House. Earlier in the week I got to photograph the action from a helicopter and got some great shots and video of Gentry's boat. I was watching from a boat anchored just down from the Pier House when he rolled it. Both the Unlimiteds and the Offshore boats race on such a thin edge of control it really is amazing what they do. Its too bad they have to put their life on the line to do it. Here are a few more pics of guys that race on the wild side.

11. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #11 Str8shooter, Jul 27, 2012
    Here's a couple shots that may be from the 1981 race. I don't have the slide handy to check the date.

Is this the Atlas Van Lines you're talking about or is it an earlier model they are restoring?

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's cool, Chip was a bit like Senna in the "ruthless competitor with a heart of gold" sense.

do you think his voice issues were a result of physical injury, or some manifestation of PTSD? I've heard both theories and they both have some scientific merit. either way a fascinating story, I wish someone would make a movie about him.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    From memory, Hanauer experienced one or two major blowovers in the Miss Bud. In one of them, he crushed his sternum, broke ribs, etc.

A friend of mine broke his sternum racing go-karts and it affected his voice in much the same way for months. Having broke a couple of ribs myself in go-karts, it's a horribly uncomfortable
    injury, breaking a sternum must be awful.

BHW

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great pics!

15. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Those pictures are spectacular! I would love to get some pictures/vids from a helicopter, as well as from one of the rescue boats.

Chris

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks for the shots! They bring back memories. You can see the Pak running without the cowling, and it also looks like they have at least one of the air intakes blocked off. Until they went to dorsal air intakes around 1986, the salt ingestion problem had not been solved.

Yup, that's the Blaster. The cowling behind the cockpit had been enlarged for 1981 for reasons not known to me. It wasn't for driver safety, since they were still not belted in; maybe Muncey had added something to the engine that required a bit more room. He was desperate to get on even terms with the Griffon-powered Miss Budweiser that had been cleaning his clock throughout 1980, and that ultimately cost him his life. In the 1981 season finale at Acapulco, he set up the boat to run dangerously light in the final heat, and he was, in fact, ahead of the Bud when the Atlas blew over backwards and landed on him. Until about a year ago, he was still the winningest unlimited driver of all time.

The deaths of Muncey and Dean Chenoweth less than a year apart led to the first use of seat belts in 1983, the first trial of a canopy in 1985, and the definitive cockpit design (still fundamentally what is in use today) by the Miss Budweiser team in 1986. Within a few years the canopies (cut down from F-16 units rejected by the USAF) became mandatory. There has been only one death in unlimited racing in the last 25 years.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Reminds me of the good old days of powerboat racing in south Florida when I lived in Ft Laud. I had a 28' Checkmate with twin 350 mags. About 80 mph top end and had such a blast at the races and the Poker Runs I competed in. Lots of those teams were funded by the "square groupers"!

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A lot of great memories from those days. As I recall,
    the excuse for no longer running Unlimiteds at the
    Miami Marine Stadium was the grandstand portion
    was compromised by Hurricane Andrew.

However, we see concerts and other events taking place
    there so it dosent make a lot of sense why they don't
    come back unless the salt water affects the turbine
    engines.

The craziest boat we saw there was an improvised and
    enlarged tunnell hull with eight (8) on board engines in
    orange Arcadia colors which must have been around 1986
    or '87.

We got up close as the boat was placed in the water and mechanics
    ran up and down the length of the engine bay making
    adjustments to the engines.

Suddenly, one of the crew members approached us and said
    "You guys better clear out if here, when the engine start this
    while area will get soaked". We'd just gotten out of the blast
    zone when the motors fired up sending a wall of water soaking
    the whole area where we were just standing with our video and
    still cameras.

Out on the circuit, the eight motor boat never really ran
    very well, it oscillated violently sponson to sponson which
    must have beaten the driver up pretty good.

In the same session, Jim Kropfeld smashed the circuit record
    in the Miss Bud and went on the win the event. The victory party
    at the Jockey Club went on far into the night.

BHW

19. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    These are some excellent stories! It makes me wonder why powerboat racing isn't broadcast on TV much, and isn't as popular as NASCAR. The sound, the smell of the boats, and seeing the waves spraying 20 ft in the air is just spectacular.

Chris

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had once heard for the apparent abandonment of Miami Marine Stadium as a racing venue had to do with protecting endangered manatees. But that is only hearsay.

I remember seeing photos of the oddball Arcadian tunnel hull, but I never saw it race, and even though I assumed that the effort would be futile (as it turned out to be), I still would have liked to have witnessed it.

There have been a few tunnel-hull unlimiteds over the years, both inboard and outboard. The late Don Aronow campaigned one for awhile, first with two Indy-style Cosworth V-8s and later with Chrysler Hemis, to little avail. Eventually the boat was redone as a four-engined outboard and actually finished third in a World Championship regatta near Houston.

21. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I went on the Google to see if I could find out what happened to the stadium.

From various sites I gathered that the boats had become too fast for the stadium so they quit holding Unlimiteds there. Then Hurricane Andrew damaged the stadium and the city condemned it.

However, an inspection of the site showed the stadium to be structurally sound. The city of Miami still didn't want anything to do with it and let it sit.

Graffiti artists moved in and proceeded to use the bare concrete as their canvas literally covering the entire stadium with graffiti. Its interesting that the stadium was constructed entirely of poured concrete which was unfinished. Those of us that were there can fondly remember how hot it was outside on the shoreline and how much cooler it was when you went inside the stadium :)

So the stadium now sits covered in graffiti and the city of Miami still doesn't want it. Fortunately, a group has formed in an effort to restore the stadium and bring it back to its old glory. I don't know if they could still hold Unlimiteds there but it would be a shame to lose such a space and have it replaced by condos or something.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #22 BartonWorkman, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    But they've got a $1+B to build a baseball
    stadium.

Unfortunately, Bernie Little passed away a few
    years ago and with his passing we lost the biggest
    motivating factor in driving boat racing of all types.

He drove the Miami event and even brought
    F-1 tunnell hulls to Lake Parker in Lakeland
    one year, that was neat.

We'd run into Bernie everywhere boat racing was
    happening, and a few sports car races too.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great shots!!

Thanks!

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think it's safe to say that unlimited racing had a love/hate relationship with Bernie Little. On the one hand, his showmanship and drive helped publicize the sport and keep it going during tough financial times. On the other hand, his team's huge budget (courtesy of his longtime friendship with the Busch family) scared away other potential sponsors who didn't want to spend the kind of money that it would take to beat him.

Think about it: the Budweiser sponsorship that started in 1963 was among the first big-time sports sponsorships of a racing team in the U.S., and one of the longest lasting.

25. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Where is powerboat racing taking place in Miami now? I'm assuming that they still have it somewhere in a place like Miami.

Chris