Apparently Timing Belts should be replaced every 15 years or 31,250 miles .. | FerrariChat

Apparently Timing Belts should be replaced every 15 years or 31,250 miles ..

Discussion in '612/599' started by smggms, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    BOKE likes this.
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #3 randkin, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Matt, This is an old discussion topic, I believe Taz responded to this very item on a different thread - the later factory addendum was changed to 5 years and 15,000 miles and he showed a copy of the addendum. The thread may predate your joining the forum. Try doing a search for this information I am sure you will find it.

4. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    I did search “”15 years factory belt change “””
    before I posted .. nothing come up..
    so I thought I discovered something big ...lol...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think your search was too specific, try just timing belts. One of those threads has the info or search for Tazandjam (Terry H Philips) posts on the subject if you really want to find the info on the subject. Terry is kind of the resident technical expert.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many of the tech manuals were being written very early in the production process for Ferraris and never really updated. In this case likely before accelerated wear testing was done on the Kevlar cambelts. Change interval is 50,000 km/32,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

In this case the 15 years is a likely typo. 50,000 kms is actually ~31,068 miles, so they rounded up.

Here you go:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Terry, Thanks for reposting the information.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, that 15 year replacement standard may not be off at all. My 2003 Harley Deuce turns 17 years old in August. It has 38K miles on it and the drive belt looks fine. Two years ago a buddy of mine changed the drive belt on his 2002 Softail after 15 years and over 80K miles. He said the belt looked great and he only changed it because he was doing other work on the bike and figured he would just do it while stuff was apart.

I would say the the belts on my Harley and his have been regularly subjected to stresses much higher than the timing belts on my 612 OTO. We both do a lot of hard acceleration in the lower gears, and both bikes with riders weigh close to 900 lbs. Now there are two things to consider. One, the Harley belt may be of better strength/quality than the Ferrari belt. And secondly, if a drive belt breaks, well no big deal.

I just did a belt change after 5 years last year. I'll probably change them again 2023, but then maybe I'll test their longevity. Hey, I'm not risk adverse! :D

daytona355 likes this.
  9. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thank you for clarifying ..
    Got excited for a minute .. LOL
    so now the million dollar question..

if it belt only you need to change Avery 5years ( this the only major part can cause catastrophic damage )..

Can you use this procedure to change belt only .. bear in mind this from Ferrari dealer and only 4 hours labor..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is actually no such thing as a major service for any of the 65 degree V12s. People, including pros, tend to lump things together at the 5 year point (all fluids, filters, inspections, adjustments, F1 checks, cambelts), and call it a major. If you have no leaks (you do), the belt change can be done separately without removing the cam covers. If you are confident of cam timing, a lock and swap cambelt change and aux belts change is not that big a deal. There are still things to do annually, every two and three years, etc. Most of us with a new V12 just had everything done so you have a baseline from which to operate.

Now when you have to pull the engine like the Boxers, TRs, 348s, Mondial Ts, F355s, etc to change the cambelts, that pretty much qualifies as a major. Quote from Boxer owners manual "if for any reason you remove the engine, change the cambelts".

Themaven, 2NA and daytona355 like this.
  11. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Terry .. well said ..I totally agree with you .. It make lot of sense .. been searching this subject for long Time.. since i had my 456..
    I think many owners fell to this trap .. you need ’’’ major service ‘’ ..
    so either the dealer /shop mislead them to make money,for un necessary replacements to tensioner, gasket bearing etc..
    Or their techs incompetent not familiar with these old cars simple maintenance requirement ..

And make it worse you have companies .. advertise and selling kits for these so called major service ...
    I found the original books came with 612 .. on for USA version 2005
    It’s clearly say 5 years belt change ONLY or 30k miles ..
    2 years fluid change.. simple straight forward maintenance.. and even you have leak from cam seal .. competent mechanic can replace in 5 hours Labour .. with our tearing the engine parts and remove the belts ,cam head etc..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I actually think changing out the tensioner bearings/pulleys every 5 years with Hill Engineering versions is a good idea. Easy to do when the belts are changed.

14. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Do they make specific noise/sound if they fail?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If they fail, you are liable to hear 24 valves bending followed by a rapid decrease in rpm.

Themaven and randkin like this.
  16. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thanks for the info ..
    The hill engineering version , how long they last ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yeah there will be NO QUESTION what has just happened. I’ve had a chain tensioner go in a early 911 and I was real lucky no broken valves but I knew immediately what had happened and just shut it off. But that is a story for a different thread.

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Are the Hill Engineering replacements just better parts than the OEM or the just much less expensive and same quality?

FIN612 likes this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's a good question. It would be interesting to know if they make the drive belts for Harley. If so, I would buy the Hill version with confidence regardless of price.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    HE bearings/pulleys are made of better materials, use superior production techniques, and last longer than OEM bearings. They should last 5 years at least, which is all I care about.

HE makes no belts or Harley parts, as far as I know.

randkin likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with this. I am aware of some vehicles with timing chains having problems because the tensioner (some made of plastic) failed.

22. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My experience with timing chain tensioners is the plastic rails breakdown and those pieces of plastic contaminate/damage the tensioner causing their failure. So perhaps changing the rails is more important than the tensioner but considering the cost of catastrophic failure changing both would seem prudent.:)

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    With how they are made these days, the belt isn't the issue. Its the Ferrari bearings. I changed the bearings and belts in my 612 about 8 months ago. They had been replaced 6 years before by the previous owner. The belts were practically in new condition. One of the Ferrari bearings was starting to leak (posted a photo at that time). Replaced them with Hill. No need to discuss modern belt strength, its the bearings that fail first.

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It’s amazing how Ferrari service shops still insist these engines need 3 year belt changes, despite being shown Taz’s evidence to the contrary. I’m sure that if the Ferrari update had been the other way around, recommending shorter belt change intervals, the paperwork might not have gotten lost in the same way.