Apple Car Play in SF90 | FerrariChat

Apple Car Play in SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by phanliu, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Does anyone with this option tell me if the CarPlay appears in the entire dash screen?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. gclemons

gclemons Rookie

Nov 12, 2015
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yes, it does. You can also view the non-CarPlay screen and have it take up a section (ie when using Nav).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Thank you much appreciated.

4. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    How?

I was using CarPlay today - it takes up most of the screen. How do I use CarPlay and still get the Rev counter in the middle?

Btw the CarPlay is a pain - keeps disconnecting.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    #5 j09333, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Mine does the same. We have to wait for softupdate for this disconnecting issue.

It is stupid to have navscreen not syncing apple map screen. This way, we can hve both nav and rev counter and car info.

It seems like ferrari reused old interface with new look only.

6. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Did you guys’ Apple car play get fixed? Heard there was an update sometime in October of theirs year.

I just placed my spider order - thought to put it in before they closed the books this month.

7. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    After ios 15.1, it is better now but still disconnects.

We are all waiting software update from Ferrari :)

8. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Just got word Ferrari made Apple Car Play ‘standard’ in SF90. Not sure if that is true for all other line ups. Price definitely up!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I completed my spec for a Spider in December and there was still a charge for CarPlay. Maybe they will include it in next year’s specs.

10. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I recently saw the price list for the 296GTB in UK and CarPlay is included. Was not the case with SF90

11. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Absolutely

12. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I specced my spider in December without Car Play and dealer called and notified that now Ferrari is including it with a price bump as standard.

spyderman likes this.
  13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Apple Car Play will be standard on all Ferrari models moving forward and yes there will be a slight price bump on MSRP as well.

jm2 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Today I was fiddling with the apple carplay but I have two issues maybe someone can help me with.

1) above in this thread, it was mentioned tha tyou can shrink the display down. I know I can *remove* the big display, but using the side swipes when the big display is up did not actually move anything. Am I missing something?

2) The voice control does not seem to work with the carplay at all. in my focus rs, i can simply say nice things like "play artist xyz from my library" and away it goes. But when I do that in the sf90, even with the carplay thing up, it does not work. On the side it says things like "say play xyz" but when i do it never selects anything from my libary despite them being there. any tips for how to best use voice control with apple carplay in these cars?

15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    1. Press home button long to switch between carplay screen and car screen. You can not shrink carplay screen to one of those small side windows along with rev meter. It is just dumb outdated platform sf90 uses :(

2. Siri can do what you said. Once carplay is up, the command you give to the car is not linked to carplay. You have to have a misic inside sf90 library to play. Your music in iphone should be selected by siri.

RumorDude likes this.
  16. gertbauer

gertbauer Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    Gert Bauer
    Just got my SF90 delivered (EU spec) and it has the same issue: carplay gets disconnected occasionally. So also in 2023 deliveries, this problem still not fixed…a bit embarrassing for such high end car.

You can return to the main menue: tap the control button, then the home button (and also some others) lights up. long press the home button.

Unfortunately, when you are in the car screen with rev-meter, the little carplay window doesnt show the last carplay app running. I only get a straight white forward arrow, but it doesnt seem to be related to a carplay app running (for example google maps nav).

or is there a special setting to get it displayed in a logical fashion (as a small window in the main car screen or even full screen as in view max.mode) ?

another question: carplay seems to be only possible by usb connection and not wireless. is this correct? didnt manage to get the a wireless carplay connection.

thx!
    gert

17. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    SF90 runs old F12,488,812 system.
    So no, it will not display any of carplay contents. You have to switch to carplay screen to see the contents.

Yes only USB I believe.
    When SF90 disconnects carplay, simply turn off(it is already off if your iphone is connected by cable) wireless connection by tapping wireless icone and wait for a while then phone reconnects itself.

It is easy reset I found. It is better than physically reconnects the cable.

However, such is life that car disconnects iphone when I need most!!!! Lol

cesman likes this.
  18. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari needs a rethink on dash layouts. The new models are worse for CarPlay than the old ones. The best dash layout is a centre touchscreen that both driver and passenger can operate. Both SF90 and 296 with their haptic controls are hopeless. The Purosangue should have got a centre screen instead of a large passenger screen. Bring back the centre screen that the rest of the car world has!

Boomhauer and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. gertbauer

gertbauer Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    Gert Bauer
    *SOLUTION* for the apple carplay connection issue (blackouts)…and its even bluetooth wireless!! I ordered for 30dollars from aliexpress.com this bluetooth carplay adapter. I connected it with the data port (the one under the dash is somehow not working for data, only charging) in the armrest and it works like a charm!

20. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Can you please post exact details of the item? The Bluetooth connectivity is an absolute joke.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  21. gertbauer

gertbauer Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    Gert Bauer
    I put a link in my post. Its a "wireless carplay adapter" (put this into google you you will find also other brands....the one i put into my post works perfectly fine for me and its so small, the armrest space is not even full). You plug it in your USB Dataport and its powered by the port itsself, so you dont need an additional electric input. The first time you connect it, on the main dash display you see a message, that you need to connect it with your iphonne. You go to your iphone, activate bluetooth (its not already on) and search the item. Once found you connect it and your phone gets into carplay mode automatically. Next time you get into the car (with bluetooth on), carplay automatically starts. BE CAREFUL, that you dont connect to your ferrari bluetooth system (i would set it on "ignore" on the iphone). Have fun :)

spyderman likes this.