348 - Are 348 and 308 OEM black plastic shift knobs the same? | FerrariChat

348 Are 348 and 308 OEM black plastic shift knobs the same?

Discussion in '348/355' started by dave80gtsi, Oct 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I "think" that this is the case, based solely on casual observations made at car shows. And then the 355 series went to a 6-speed chromed knob, right?

Should this be the case, since many of you newer 348 model folks might not poke around the 308 / 328 forums very much, you might have missed a thread up there about a very nice alternative to the cheap-looking and -feeling black plastic shift knobs:

Bespoke Black OEM-Style Wooden Shift Knob | FerrariChat

Note that, while I did start the aforenoted thread, I have no financial interest here. I'm simply passing on a trusted resource for a very high quality improved knob, coming from a very satisfied user.

Thanks - DM

P.S. - Did the 348 series used white or orange R-1-thru-5 numerals on their OEM knobs? I've seen both.

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I've never seen orange numbers, only white on the 348. Unless someone painted them to match the gauges.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've never seen the orange coloured #'s......at leats that matches the 348 gauges :D

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Upon further investigation, I do now believe that the OEM orange numerals is a 328 thing.

Best picture which I could find:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nevertheless, it's your car, so you can make them any color which floats your boat!

5. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just a note about shift knob pattern colors. If you want to restore the fresh white look there is a paint "crayon" available that works well. We used to use it at work when restoring the white highlighted areas of helicopter cyclic grips. Use a toothpick or something that will not mar the finish and "dig out" the old dirty fill and then clean with a toothbrush and soapy water. Once dry, rub the crayon back and forth across the grooves until you have filled all numbers and lines flush. Take a clean microfiber towel and polish off all the excess product and it will look like new.