Are 348s really that bad? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are 348s really that bad?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pk328, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I agree that all the nonsense about on limit handling ect is a bit OTT! after all on public roads its all a bit academic.

Whilst Im sure there are some owners who have had trouble free experiences with the 348 im afraid you are in the minority. My dealer has many 348 in for service and constant attention, mainly with electrics, ecus, cats, exhst ecus and the build quality of the car is poor. As with all Donkeys it gets better with a later year but the general opinion was that the 348 was the worst for reliability of the more modern fezzzas and none of the mechanics would buy one. 328 yes, 355 yes other yes 348 NO

Its very difficult to make subjective judgements from a just a few experiences of individuals but when you have the opinion of a group of mechanics working on these day after day I think I value that more

2. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Thanks for the reply 355f I suppose after owning three 348s over the last 14 years and still have the original one in my garage i would have had at least one of the problems that you list but i can honestly say i have not I know how to look after my cars and have them serviced properly ,maybe that helps I have three friends in our area group who own them and its the same story no probs
    So my advice to anybody wanting a value for money Ferrari is choose carefully check out previous owners and if all is well go for it

VIVA LA 348 RAY 360m

PS 355f have you actually ever owned or driven a 348

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I must echo Ray’s sentiments. I have had my (1992) 348 for four years and I adore it. The worst problem I have had is a flat battery and I don’t blame the car for that (I now have it on permanent charge in the garage when it's not in use). I have driven it to Belgium, Germany and Italy twice with no problems save the £185 it cost me to get the gravel out of the car after I spun off (too busy looking at that 360 Spider in the mirror!) during one of the track sessions during the Spa Ferrari days last year. I have recently (January) returned from a trip to the factory in Maranello. 3,000kms round trip with snow on the hairpins in the dark coming back up towards Mont Blanc. It runs perfectly on normal unleaded and I have a smile on my face for a week after I’ve last driven it. Even if I’m sitting in a traffic jam I can look in the wing mirrors and see those red haunches and I find a smile spreading across my lips. I’m sure the 348 is not the greatest Ferrari of all time, but it is still a truly fabulous car with a magical engine and I haven’t regretted buying mine for one second

4. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    oh dear seemed to have touched a few nerves here!!

Yes I have owned for 5 months a 348 and driven several others.

Im sure there are MANY happy owners and im sure many dont get problems!!

all im saying is statisically it is POTENTIALLY more problematic than a 328 or 355; well serviced or not!

So the issue is ;is a 348 as reliable as a 328 or 355 and im sure that anyone would answer it is not and thats what the questioner wanted to know.

I remmember when i bought my first 355 some 4 years ago. I posted a similar question on a ferrari website and all the responses I got back said something like; 'ive had mine for 2 years (done 2k miles!!) never gone wrong; a great reliable car no issues at all if its a good one! and yet the one I purchased had many issues which I later found were quite well known. So the feedback I got was worse than useless.

So its only by being open about experiences and not defending the model just because we happen to own one!! that an individual can get a balanced response; Indeed some have posted to the effect that they own the car and its been more relibale and better built than a toyota and thats fine- its a balance to a debate bt that does not mean to say others are not entitled to offer a view which differs from theirs!

5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I thought the original question was about more than reliability. I can only say my own 348 has been pretty reliable, I wasn't attempting to speak for the model in general. I do, however, believe it to be a generality (and certainly true of the 348) that a later car of a particular model is generally better in that early production bugs have been ironed out. I believe, for example that the battery was re-positioned on the 348 to help with the handling. I certainly recall Autosport on originally reviewing the car in, I believe, late 1989, saying that they wanted one, but not quite yet. I suspect a later 348 may well be more reliable throughout its life than an early F355, based on what I have heard, but I'm certainly no expert.

Regardless, F355's are more expensive and certainly my choice was financially restricted at the time to 308, 328 or 348. But, beyond reliability, the 348 is a fine car and all I can say is I've been very happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone else. Of course, as with any car it's important to choose an example that's been looked after and I guess there's still an element of luck thrown in as well.

6. chrisdataclinic

Nov 27, 2003
    Lancashire, England
    Full Name:
    Chris Seeley
    Hi Guys,

Well next time I want to wind-up some 328 owners I know how to do it :)

Enjoy the forum. I hope to eventually meet some of you at FOC trackdays this year.

C

7. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi C nice looking 348 it also looks like it gets the detailed attention it deserves Hope you have a long happy time with it as i have with mine See you at a trackday maybe

RAY360m

8. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have to agree with Ray. I have had my F348 for 3 years and no problems at all. Its covered just over 30,000 miles and still on the same clutch. They need to be cared for and service at normal interval like all Ferraris.

I know many F335 owners that have had problems with their F355. It seems the 355 engines are not at reliable as the 348 engines. The 348 engines are bullet proof. The F355 has trouble with mainfolds cracking, valve guides, over heating, power steering trouble etc. The 348 has trouble with electrics, but dont all Italian cars have this problem.

The performance on a F355 is better, but my F348 is close. It has 365 bhp. The F355 is better, it is the mass produced Ferrari, should have no problems really.

The F348 and TR are drivers cars, not modern technology to help the driver.
    The back should be twitchy and the driver needs to control it which is more fun......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny thing is between the 1989 and 1994 there was no F355 and at that time the F348 was the Ferrari to have of the V8 models.

The F348 was and is the baby Tessa......

Like Ray has said, things change. The 355 came out which was top of the V8 models and now 360 and is the V8 to have...

Thing I can say is when your on the road and see a Ferrari its usually the F355 its getting common guys. People want to see the TR and F348 they are different and not many about, the same with F328..

I personal think the styling of the F348 and TR is nicer then the F355. The F355 is too rounded. Not wedge enought like the F348 and TR. Guess what the wedge shape is coming back.....

I the truth is I am happy to own any Ferrari deep down. The model is not important because all Ferrari models have that feeling that no other car has......

9. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #34 hedge, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve, he has a point. The 328 is a disgusting looking motor car, and drives like a tractor. Yuck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Your Right Hedge,

Ssshh.. We don't want the People Carrier Driving Tosser's thinking they're good cars... It'll only drive the price's up for the true enthusiast's !

CHANT....328's are Crap.....328's are Crap .....

Steve

11. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Methinks Kenyon protests too much about 355s... hankering a secret desire?!

I've not found many driver aids on my F355, except ABS which I believe the 348 has?

As you say, times change. I love my F355, but I'd drop it like a shot for a 360CS!

12. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Robert,

I do love the F355 and the F348 and F328 and TR and 360 etec etc etc.
    I thought the F355 has a some sort of electronic damper device and power steering..

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They do indeed. I didn't include the electronic dampers as I don't really count them as driver aids- they give the car has a remarkable ride when cruising, but really sharpens up when pressing on. The power steering is less of a blessing; nothing wrong with it per se, but I'd just like a bit more weight. and I'd like to replace with a Fiorano rack.

I thought you were thinking of traction control etc.

Glad to see you're an all-round Ferrari fan!

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Robert,

The truth is I have never driven a 355, been in one, but never driven one.
    Many say the 348 has a go kart like feel where the 355 has not much feel through the steering. Is this right...

Which 355 is the best to buy and what year ? Seemed to over come many problems on the later cars then the earlier ones.

Many say the 355B 1998 onwards is the best.

But many say the 1994 and 1995 355B had more power ???

All confusing ......

15. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Kenyon

Not driven a 348, nor been in one (perhaps you'd be kind enough to oblige, if one day we meet!...). The 355 has low steering gearing- makes it light, but still plenty of feel. Less apparent feel than in a 328, but I think sometimes people confuse weight with feel. However, it was beaten by a 911 and an Elise in EVO's Car of the Year test 1999 because of steering feel (still rankles).

I've always imagined that the later in the production run one goes in any car, the better they get in build. Mine is a '99 GTS, and is beautifully made- paint, trim, and general rattle-free demeanour. But I've been in earlier ones which felt good too.

I think you are right, the later ones have a little less power (5 bhp less or something, frankly academic and might have more torque anyway- could probably be liberated by a Tubi) but it still feels very, very quick. I think small drop in power is because the later ones had a different exhaust system (to meet new emmissions standards) which sounds particularly good, even as standard.

One omission, for what it's worth, is mine doesn't have an ABS cut-out switch which earlier ones do. I've also heard that the later cars don't have 8 individual throttle butterflies, but I've found the throttle response more than adequate!

The really early ones don't have airbags, which may or may not be a good thing... nicer looking steering wheel?

I don't think there's necessarily a 'good' 355 to go for in terms of build year. The 94-'95s seem to be favoured sometimes, but I think I'd buy on the basis of quality of the individual car. The actual differences are insignificant IMO.

In terms of bodystyle, the Berlinetta is undoubtedly the purest drivers' car, but the GTS and Spider have their own great benefits.

A full answer to a short question, sorry!

Robert.

16. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Kenyon and Robertb,I have had the pleasure of both cars and though I do prefer the 355(not just because I own one!) there is really very little to it,maybe if we are talking track days or hard driving there might be a more noticeable difference it is certainly not a vastly different,as to the reliability issues I could not really comment but only to say the head mechanic at my main dealers advised me to stay clear of the 348 because of this.Please no shouting at me I am only the messenger.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

17. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    well I jumped in and bought one,no matter what the reliability issues are,a couple of weeks ago.I wanted a second car to my porsche - which is very nice for what it is and good at what it does.But the lure of the prancing horse was too great.I went into my car selection with an entirely open mind and to a large extent,budget.In the end the 1993 lhd TB was half the cost of a rhd 1995 355 GTB.I have no idea how reliable it is going to prove - I know nothing about cars and left it to an engineer to inspect and approve (which he obviously did).All I can say is I absolutley love driving it.As an introduction to the breed,I cant complain one bit.

18. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Nickster,

I have a 348 Spyder 1994 LHD and love it too. Its a baby tessa....
    If your 348 is 1993 is will be a 348 GTS with 320 BHP and the TS with 300BHP.
    1993 onwards the cars where the best of the models.

Ray360 on this site is really knowledgable and a great guy to talk to. He a prestine 1989/1990 348 model. The best I have seen...

19. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    Thanks for that,its nice to know that advice is out there when I need it.Although the car has been well looked after,I am being careful till it goes to verdi next week for a major service.The belts have done 10k kms,so in theory have plenty of life left,but it was 3 years ago so I am not taking any chances.Bring on the summer and dry roads to really boot the car on.Does anyone run pirellis?it has michelins on at present and I could do with replacing the rears.Cheers

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Nickster,

I run with Hankook tyres on the rear. they cost me £100 inc VAT. The tyres are great.... Why pay more for the name. All tyres must meet the same Standards.............

21. cap10danny

cap10danny Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    Well i had a 94 348 spider, and now have a 355GTS. I've driven most of the newer ferrari's as a driving instructor. Drove my 348 for 4 years almost daily.(yes we can do that in FL.) I can tell you that on average it was at least as dependable as my 911. No question it is a vast improvement over the 328, especially on the track. The 355, well 63 more HP and another gear, PS and an adjustable suspension. Of course it's better. Like a turbo compared to a 911. I had lot's of fun with the 348 and would love to get one again someday.

22. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Cap10danny,

Theats great to know...
    Thanks...