Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    EXACTLY! Well said Jon!

2. hogster

hogster Rookie

Nov 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I'm not sure why most state the 308's are undervalued. Value comes from what the market will pay. Currently people seem to have money to spend. That can change over time. It seems a lot of the 308's need much work when a person buys it.
    Sooner or later people will see this and thus a price change. That said, maybe it will go the other way (up) as well.

I just love the cars and hope they will all survive what time can do. I would hate to see the 3x8's in auto shows and not driving like they were designed to be doing. Now that would be sad.....
    What value would that be.... Yeah maybe worth a lot of money, but just to say you own one and go to show to show......? I would like to see them stay where they are and we will see them on the roadways.

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Didn't Ferrari build 3.3 million of them between '74 and '85?? ;-)

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I wasn't sure I would ever hear that phrase again. Nice work!!

I think I used to use that one in the 7th grade and really didn't know what it meant. Still don't know where it came from. Time for a little Wikipedia....

5. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I beg to differ. Ebay has pretty much established itself as THE market on these cars The fact alone that it is typically the cheapest place to find cars makes it the "market". People can advertise their $50k 308s with 35k on them in "excellent" condition. But when I can find the same car for half on Ebay, I ain't buying from the snob in the FCA Newsletter or related piece. Ebay is the market.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Bill - "Ebay is the market". Wrong, ebay is the "Garage Sale" to the universe and the cheapest place to advertise. I have a couple of cars I will be selling in the spring, ebay certainly will be part of my marketing strategy, but not the place I trully expect to get a special car sold in 10 days.

I have to ask, if you were going to sell your 348, would you put it on ebay and then accept the highest bid as its worth?

Bogart - wow man that brings back memories . . .well maybe not ;)

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

eBay is also the dumping ground for problem cars. It doesn't set the market for the better stuff that gets sold privately.

8. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Quit Bogarting Man. HERRRRE!

9. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I hear you guys. But to me Ebay IS the market for the types of cars we are/were discussing. We are talking 308s and 328s, right?? I get that the F40s, 288s, and the SuperAmericas of the world will never see Ebay. And if they do, they won't fetch what they are worth....so it would be a waste of time to put it there.

But for the cars we are discussing, Ebay is still the market IMO. You get the most traffic - Average Joe and Ferrari afficianado alike. There isn't a car on Ebay worth its salt that doesn't get talked about here. Ebay ads still find there way onto the computer screen of the snobbiest of collectors. Its the truth. People are always looking for a "barn find" and don't leave stones unturned if they can help it.

Anyway, I get that there are bad examples of cars on Ebay. But there are good ones too. Since we were talking about Dino's before, here's an example of one on Ebay right now that certainly isn't a piece of junk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Over-95-pts-Concourse-dElegance-1st-place-230k-car_W0QQitemZ270197259773QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To answer a few of the other points made....

Get high res pics and something in writing about condition before you EVER get on a plane. By the time you see the car the first time, you should be able to see every inch in your sleep. Shouldn't be surprises.

Ebay is a dumping ground for certain cars. And I realize that the "good stuff" does change hands privately all the time. However the stuff that changes hands privately is not what I would call "setting the market". Those transactions are as rare as the amount of high of quality 308s and 328s. Those cars may go for more than the typical 360 someday. But I wouldn't refer to a one-off as a market. Those with the typical 50k 308 by then will still be staring at a $50k car. But I hope I am wrong as I will have one in the stable at that time!!

Just my opinion though on this and I appreciate the dialogue my friends!! ;-)

11. alessiogiorgio

alessiogiorgio Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Italy - Sweden
    Full Name:
    alessio giorgio
    we all open my eyes ! thanks a lot.
    production of 360 15304
    production of 355 11203
    production of 328 gts 4979
    production of 328 gtb 1095.
    my first question arrived in the chat was help to choose between 355 F1 and 360 F1. I understood of the possible problems of the inner cilynders of 355 so I would prefer to buy a 360. but The car that I love since many year it is the
    328gts. and now I see that it is possible that the value of 360 will go lower than 328. here in Italy the value of 328 is more high because a car 20 years old pay only 100 USD of insurrance and taxes and get the advantage to became an historical cars.
    I was near to buy a 360 F1 for the problems to my left knee.
    but after having read your opinions
    I go in the market for my loved
    328 red also if I can drive very few. but this is the car to buy now.
    ciao
    alex 328

12. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    #237 flyingboa, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Credimi,
    Ne vale la pena...
    Ciao
    Eugenio
    P.S. Se riempi il tuo profilo rendi piu' facile contattarti...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. alessiogiorgio

alessiogiorgio Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Italy - Sweden
    Full Name:
    alessio giorgio
    many thanks Eugenio for your confirm. I will look for the best possible 328 also if with the problems with my left knee i usually drive cars with tiptronic.

i was in the market in 88 when
    Enzo dead. so it was clear to me that his cars were as the paints of an artist....an excellent artist.
    so.I buoght and sold aome F cars
    and when the BOOM finished after
    the war in Iraq of 91 i remain with
    a 208 turbo. at that time to buy a 328 a guy had to spend till 85K 90K euro......
    now the price are lower...

to BIG TEX I wish to say that she is right ! at the time of the BOOM from 88 to 92 thare was a lot of difference in price between the carburettors version and the ignition. But in a standard market period
    the difference is less.

To Eugenio I wish to say that I wish to complete my profile....but I do not know how doing.
    I connect with my PDA so the screen is not complete...
    ciao
    alex 328

14. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .................. so basically when I can bench press at least 300 lbs, I will be ready for a 308/328 :)???.................or is it when I can snatch the stone from the 328 syndicate presidents hand.... ;) :D!!!!
    What did you find on wikipedia??? ;) :p

........lol :p :p

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Bogart - (slang verb) To keep something all for oneself, thus depriving anyone else of having any. A slang term derived from the last name of famous actor Humphrey Bogart because he often kept a cigarette in the corner of his mouth, seemingly never actually drawing on it or smoking it. Often used with weed or joints but can be applied to anything.

"Don't bogart that blunt man, pass that over here!"

From the Urban Dictionary

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    To add more to the ebay discussion, I have to disagree that it is the primary market for 308/328. The nicest cars do sell without anyone really knowing about it, and they go for a hefty premium. It is not just the $500k+ cars that sell on the quiet. A Euro 308GTS just sold locally for $49k. I heard about it after the fact from the business who sold it. Mechanic there said it was perfect.

17. mondialmike88

mondialmike88 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My Theory is that the junk and the scam arists are waiting on ebay
    If a car is really nice it will probaly be sold to the first guy that sees it
    droping the doe instantly and boom the cars gone happened to me many times.

18. 3.2Cab

3.2Cab Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Full Name:
    Oystein S.
  19. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Could be more than 10 years... but surely, by the shape of the 308 alone will bring the price of it up the same way as the 246,... not now that there are so many of them around... The 246 are actually a cheap Ferrari with a drop-dead gorgeous body... To me, in term of classic cars... 80% looks, 20% goes to quality and technology...

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  21. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
  22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    there is a fully restored four cam 275 going through...thats a 750k car...we'll see.

23. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    .......as we know, right now some of the mass-produced muscle cars are fetching sums of money that were never even imagined......308s, especially the early pre-cat cars, will be recognized and strongly desired!

Anthony

24. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Written TEN YEARS AGO to the day!
    308/328 prices vs. 360 today speak for themselves...

andyww likes this.
  25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Really? Are you comparing the 308s with the 360s? Two completely different cars for two completely different buyers. The 308s will rise in value and surpass the 360s way much faster than you think. The 308s are one of the most iconic Ferrari cars ever built. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the 360s.