Are Ceramic Brakes a must for the 430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are Ceramic Brakes a must for the 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by JosephMBradley, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    You could always spritz the rotors with some WD-40 to keep the rust away................ but no seriously don't do that J/K.

2. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Unless you spend a lot of time driving on the track, the ceramic brakes will outlive you. Don’t worry about the cost of ceramic brake replacement. I’m guessing all the folks writing negatively about ceramic brakes never had them. Ceramic brakes on a 430 will definitely add value when / if you sell the car.

3. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine squeaks so loud sometimes it gets annoying and embarrassing. Resale value with the CCB may be higher later. However, wouldn't you get the 08 just because it's newer?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    The value of your F430 with CCB will always be maintained. There are many positives over the steelies...the cool factor, incredible stopping power and extremely minimal brake dust are just a few. I have them on my 2005 Rosso Corsa - a large $$ option @ the time! So for 9K more it's a bargain.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #30 sherpa23, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Substantially more than 30% have them as they went from optional in '05-'07 to standard for '08 and '09. Just an FYI.

Personally speaking, CCB's great for decreased weight on the corners and improved braking performance in terms of heat dissipation but the decreased durability and particularly expensive service costs are a major downside to me. Don't forget that most of the guys with F430 challenge cars have now switched back to steel brakes.

FWIW, I have the Brembo BBK on all four corners on my 360 and that seems to be the best of several worlds, even though they're not lighter. For my F430, I have found the steel brakes to be just fine, although that car has never been tracked.

Just my opinion.

6. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you are looking at an 08 vs an 07 do your homework - the 08 had a host of improvements over the 07 model. 08 and 09 models are generally considered the most sorted 430s . CCBs was just one factor. From memory there were also redesigned headers and many other iterative refinements .
    There are many threads here that illustrate specific improvements by assembly number.
    Do bear in mind an 08 could be assembled in 07 so always check assembly number , not model year

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I know of someone that did that, on his moped. Worked in an engineering shop. I **** you not (no he didn't last long at said engineering job).

8. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Does that mean one should avoid 430's built prior to '08 due to reliability issues?

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Stop worrying and just drive your car !

10. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I have to worry now that I'm a Ferrari owner....;)

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If you actually look at the production change data sheet, you will see that there are very few differences between the '07 and '08 and most have retrofit by now during the major service etc. Plus in '08 some potentially unwanted "features" become standard, like TPMS and CCB's.

Do a little research, get the list of running changes, and stop worrying. By the way, just about all of the F430's are pretty reliable with possibly the one major upgrade above all else coming in '06 with the 50 amp F1 system that improved the F1 gearbox and system substantially.

12. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Buy the one with the better color.
    Funny that many here say ceramics are "track only".
    Many people in the Porsche word remove ceramics and install iron rotors for track use, (too expensive otherwise), then reinstall ceramics for re-sale.
    I like ceramics for a street only car and would pay extra for them.
    They keep your wheels cleaner and give you bragging rights!

TAILWAG likes this.
  13. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Another change with the 08's is the updated TCU going from the CFC231 to the CFC301. Slightly faster shifts and the addition of the clutch pressure sensor. No idea how much of an improvement it was as I have the older version in my MY05. No major complaints, and would still put the priorities as condition and color over MY.

sherpa23 likes this.
  14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    When buying a Ferrari, all the different models have quirks. You should try to get to know them and be prepared for them. Headers are a known issue on both the 360 and f430 and other models as well. If memory serves the f430 is pretty well known and reliable. The header issue as well as pre cats, door cables and or door handles and the rear tail light mounts breaking, engine mounts (all Ferraris need to monitor engine mounts) sticky buttons (all Ferraris even to current have or will suffer from this) and leather shrinkage are about it really. Over all for a hand built exotic that ain't too bad and most of that can be taken care of pre-emptively.

And no one buys a Ferrari because it makes sense, we buy them because they evoke emotion from us when we see it, hear it and drive it. I suppose there are other more practical things to spend our discretionary funds on but what is the fun and adventure in that?

15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    they look cool and has little dust. They dont stop as well before heating up, in fact, they stop worse than steel brakes before heating up. They cost a fortunate to replace but u prob dont ever need to replace them if you dont track or drive hard. They have better resale. So if you dont drive a lot, getting a CB is worth it for better resale, less dust, looks cool, and really fills up that 19" wheel. If you tract a lot, get steel so u can buy more tires :)

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 430 had steel brakes and it stopped on a dime. They were great for me for a very long time.

17. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'd get CCBs if I had a choice!

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am admittedly different than most car buyers, or normal humans for that matter (the deal from the 430 was finalized yesterday Ferrari #6 and car #466), and I am having the 430 redone at Algar to suit my needs (it is a 07 and funny thing I don't know what brakes it has on it). I don't care about resale (pretty obvious I have lost a small fortune on car purchases), I never leave anything stock, and if something goes wrong (and something will always go wrong trust me), I get it fixed. OP, my best advise to you is the same advise I give everyone. No one needs a Ferrari, you want a Ferrari, so buy the one that when you look at you say, I have to have this car. Because that is the feeling that will stay with you, good luck!

Bhh likes this.
  19. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    466 cars, geez. Even if you're in your 60s, assuming you've been buying since 16, that's an average of like 10 cars a year still, wowza.

20. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    And carbon brakes are so cool to look at!

21. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    So many good points here. :)
    Are CCB's a must? Absolutely not.
    Are CCB's better? Absolutely yes. They are lighter, look nicer, last considerably more and fill the wheel gap much better. However, they are considerably more expensive to replace, they make a little more noise, and they have less of a bite the first 2 or 3 times you drive the car if it is really cold.
    That is it in a nutshell.

22. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Jesus! I am at car # 106 and I thought I was bad...hahahaha

23. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    When shopping for my F430, I very specifically didn't want CCB. As others have said, they come with many drawbacks (cost and sub-optimal grip when cold, to mention but two) and, beyond the brake dust issue, have absolutely zero utility on the street. I wouldn't buy any non-track car with them.

24. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I'm generally not trying to out drag and then outbreak the Neighbor's Nissan Maxima to the first chicane out of our neighborhood, so cold braking ability has been a non-issue with my CCB's, and it still stops just fine. Not dealing with brake dust or rust dust is great and it now annoys me even greater on my other cars. Do they make CCB's for the Sequoia? haha. I think technically in almost every way the CCB's are better, just have to be prepared to deal with a much larger bill if the time comes. Definitely haven't experienced "many drawbacks."

TAILWAG and LorenzoOO like this.
  25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like the idea of the no dust, long street life ceramic set up. And likely not having to replace for the life of the car in street only application.

But I do track my cars, and contrary to internet expertise, they do need to be replaced at some point if you do. And a $20k brake job just isn’t in my list of things I want to do.

The stock steel brakes on the 430 are great for street use, but absolutely suck on the track. I haven’t replaced them yet - still dealing with them and researching options - but I can tell you I will likely not be installing factory CCB’s.