Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI I've said it a hundred times along with others, if you are going to drive a Challenge car or any car with a roll cage on the street please wear a helmet. Maybe just a roll hoop plenty back of the front seats is OK, but not a full roll cage.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369351

2. CogitoErgoZoom

CogitoErgoZoom Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Yeah, agree. I don't think a partial rear cage is a much of a threat, but definitely doesn't take much of a smack off the bar and it's permanent lights out.

Not sure if it's confirmed yet, but I think that's how that guy died recently where that 348 Challenge car collided with that elderly man...somewhere up in the northwest I think.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is a street legal one in switzerland - i almost bought it. big thread on it if you care to look. it is still available but i no longer have interest, and i am glad i grew out of that phase !!

4. CogitoErgoZoom

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks, I'll do a search for that. You don't need a Challenge Car, you have an F40. :)

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When the 360 Challenge race cars were delivered new, they came with a bill of sale and no title. Ferrari North America also informed us that the 360 Challenge was not street legal and may never be titled or even driven on the street. Somewhere I have their letter in my library of stuff.

Some cars have made it to street legal status somehow, but they were never ever intended to be driven on the street. Which by the way, is a miserable experience. (I drove mine from the hotel to concours field for the 2000 FCA National Meet using the FCA temp tags)

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Depends entirely on which streets you want to drive on. Somalia? No problem. California? No way.

7. CogitoErgoZoom

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks, guys. I'm going to draw the conclusion that this really isn't practical at all for the reasons you've explained. My vacation home is in Somalia but I want to keep the car in Texas.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #58 Aircon, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love my road registered F355 challenge.......with roll cage removed, of course, and wingless because it looks hideous.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. CogitoErgoZoom

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    She's a beut. What year model is yours?

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

LOL

Didn't realize how old this thread is!

11. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Along with the safety concerns, it is a real pain to get in and out on a regular basis in the street if the roll cage is installed. I have left only the rear hoop installed for street driving and it is not a problem.

As far as 348, the real difference is the exhaust which is LOUD, but in Miami that just means the cops give you a thumbs up when they get behind you at street lights :)

The seats are quite comfortable and you can adjust the angle and move them front and back. The wheels I like better than the standard 348 wheels not only in look but also in driveability.

So as long as the A/C is back in, a 348 Challenge car on the street is fun to drive. . . . .

12. CogitoErgoZoom

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    +1 haha...if only all cops operated that way.

Those white speedlines with the yellow exterior sure do look nice...

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very nice street 355 challenge, best I've seen. what else is it missing? I don't see racing seats (still has interior?), no tow hooks, and it sits higher than a race 355 challenge. that's just what I can see. was this a factory 355 challenge you made as streetable as possible?

14. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I could also be wrong, but I think only some of the earlier 355CH cars are street legal (began life as a street car, then Challenge kit installed). Some later cars were built at the factory as race cars and are not street legal (technically speaking). I don't know exactly where the split is, but I do know that we installed a Challenge kit on one, but others came built.

gp

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you can install a challenge kit on any 355, didn't matter the year.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Racing seats, tow hooks, roll cage and lots of other bits and pieces are in the store room. Interior is stock. Air conditioning back in. Softer springs (still triple spring rate of road car), different shocker settings etc etc

Naturally, it's running the challenge exhaust, brakes and wheels. I never did the '98 update though, even though the wing makes a huge difference to the lap time.

It's now very pleasant to drive on the road, but probably not as a daily driver.

According to the dealer order to Ferrari which I've got somewhere, it was ordered as a 355ch, but it's a bit confusing as to exactly what a "factory 355 challenge" is.

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Didn't they all have to be Motronic 2.7?? That would be a huge conversion cost for later cars, wouldn't it?

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that is cool you have the other parts in storage, looks like you ended up with a reasonable balance.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that might be the reason.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #70 Aircon, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    When I first got it and I had all the enthusiasm in the world, before a track day I'd change pads, seats, belts, install tow hooks, etc etc.

As time wore on I just did belts, seats and pads.

Now I can't even remember the last time I tracked the car! I still get a huge amount of enjoyment driving it though, and the sound is to die for.

www.fcavic.com/355chpi.wma (not actually my car, but a 355challenge at Phillip Island)

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think it just means it had the roll bar mounts and a few other things already in the car? Dealer still had to install the rest.

I think you could make a nice 'street' 355 challenge with H&R springs, stoptech brakes, speedline rims, challenge grill and exhaust, 360 steering wheel, OMP ARS seats and whatever else tickled your fancy...Could probably be done for 10k to a street car and still be pretty good on the street. You could buy a mechanically sound 355 with shrunken interior and do the whole thing in alcantara with the above mods and have a pretty cool street/track car for about the same price as a nice stock 355 without ruining the street manners.

The challenge 'look' is really just the speedlines, grill, and lowered ride height. If you went full on challenge springs, shocks, solid bushings, competition clutch, cage etc. I doubt you'd actually want to drive it on the street in that configuration much...Mine is nowhere near that aggressive and is what I'd consider 'harsh' on the street with performance rubber in sport mode.

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's my understanding too.

You're right about modding a road 355....would be easy....but it still wouldn't be a Challenge, which means something to some, including me.

I drove my car in pure race form on the road when I first got it. It wasn't a lot of fun.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    and reinforced shocker towers or something?

24. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Peter, your car is gorgeous! Be careful with those vintage challenge wheels. One of our local 355 Challenge owners crashed and burned after one of his wheels exploded as he was well into the triple digits. Thanks to the roll cage, seats, belts and fire suppression, he made it out. But the car was toast...literally.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ouch! well that's given me a great feeling for the day!

what happens to the wheels?? fatigue or what?