Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Dennis & all.

Can you please recommend a shop that can tweak the suspension and balance the corners of a 355CH in the Boston area? I didn't realize there's such a great CH car population in MA :)

Thanks.

2. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    There are three good choices:

1. Call Michael Shalhoub at Ferrari of New England, (781) 619-6956. In addition to being a dealer, they also hired away a tech with a lot of Challenge experience from IFS (see below) with a LOT of set-up experience.

2. Call Steve Oldford at Aston Martin of New England, (781) 547-5959 , 226. Steve used to be at FoNE. Try to get Dave Angeloni, who is an active CH mechanic. :)

3. Call John Tirrell at Independent Ferrari Service (IFS), (508) 238-4224. John services a fair number of Challenge cars.

All good guys.

vty,

--Dennis

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well, aside from the fact that this is highly illegal, and you couldn't get insurance coverage, and technically, you might be violating the law against driving an unregistered vehicle, then, sure, it could work. Leaving aside the issue that one really couldn't drive a 458 Challenge on the street, no matter how crazy one is...

vty,

--Dennis

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Sounds like your rear bumper doesn't have the mounting holes? :)

An alternative is to unscrew the rear tow hook, and screw in a license plate bracket that Ferrari of New England (and no doubt others) sells. It will look less cheezy than the hanging clear plastic holder, and less likely to cause you to be pulled over.

vty,

--Dennis

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The legal way would be to just take all of the GT2/GT3/Challenge parts and put them on the street 458 tub as that's legal but swapping the vins from tub to tub isn't. That or register the GT2/GT3/Challenge as a kit car and make sure it passes your state's inspection for kit cars when they will assign it a new VIN. The Challenge would be the best bet as I think they leave all of the factory emissions stuff intact from the street car...

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No **** Sherlock. I remember once at the Ferrari French Quarter Classic where we had, ah, special dispensation to drive Challenge cars to the track. Hell, my Maranello was high siding on some of those roads. When I later talked to some of the Challenge drivers, their response was NFW would they ever do that again.

I guess I don't get it. Why would you want to drive a race car on public roads?

Dale

7. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    I'm 50-50 on driving a race car on public roads; let's just say minimal driving and special occasions. However, I do have to say that there's something to be said for the raw setup of a CH-type car.

Ever since I've had an auto manufacturer as a client and I toured their facilities I've had a new appreciation of what the core of a car is and what is 'consumer filler'. Once I got a chance to tour the yellowboard lab of a leading auto manufacturer I have to say I was impressed and realized that I should look for more simplicity in vehicles (hence the stripped down version) rather than creature comforts.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is a reason why race cars are trailered to the track. That is where they belong.

Me? My DD is a LS 460. I have no interest in feeling the ****ing freeway.

Dale

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The only reason I see is that you are an old man unwilling or unable to tow a trailer, shelp all the life support system a racecar needs, have no place for a tow vehicle. You then drive your challenge car to the track to get some jollies on the stickiest street tire you can find or take a few more risks on a not so racy DOT race tire like an R888. You drive home after the trackday and go back to driving the lexus.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you want to drive a "race" car on the street get a 360 Challenge Stradale or a 430 Scuderia and set up the suspension/alignment similar to the Challenge versions. I agree, cannot imagine why you would want to drive a 360 Challenge (or likely any later Challenge car) on the road. It gets old after a about 100 yeards IMO - no fun. I only have experience with my 360 Challenge and don't know if the 355 Challenge is more streetable.
    Jes

11. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The 348/355 Challenge *is* "streetable", and much more so than a 360, 430 or 458 Challenge. One FChat member has put thousands of street miles on his 348 Ch. A good friend of mine installed lights in his 355CH, and drove it up to Montreal for the Grand Prix.

I've personally driven mine to and from a few car shows, and to/from the shop. It's admittedly easier than pulling the trailer out, putting the car into it, driving to the shop, unloading, then returning and backing the trailer in.

Is it absolutely nuts to seriously consider using a Challenge car as a regular street car? Yup. Dangerous? Probably. But, admittedly, driving around with an open exhaust and hearing the pure SHRIEK of the 5-valve V8 (IMHO, sounds better than the 360 and 430), it makes shivers run down your back.

Because the 348/355CH was not built as a "pure" race car, it's really not that different from all those folks who've built-out their 911s or Corvettes into track-friendly cars.

Would I rather drive a Stradale or Scuderia on the street? Or even a regular 355 Berlinetta? Absolutely. But on those rare days when it's appropriate, damn, it IS fun to bomb around in the CH on the street. There, I said it....

vty,

--Dennis

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, I love the sound of the Challenge cars. In fact, the main reason I go to Challenge races is just to hear the cars.

Dale

PS The races are fun to watch too. I remember sitting at the hairpin in Montreal and watching Jesse James watching himself on the jumbo tron instead of the track. :)

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #113 308 GTB, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've driven my F355 Challenge to and from several track events too.

I completely agree.

It's a ton of fun, Dennis. Until I get stuck in traffic...

:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #114 308 GTB, Jun 1, 2013
    Hankook ventus V12 evos...

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #115 308 GTB, Jun 2, 2013
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool beans. That looks like one nice little motor scooter.

Dale

17. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hey, Barry, that wouldn't happen to be Bob Gluckin's 355Ch, would it?

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #118 308 GTB, Jun 3, 2013
  19. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Well either with or against some of the advice I have received I put a deposit on the F355 Challenge car; hopefully the transaction should go through in the next two weeks...

First thing is to take the car and raise the suspension just a little so I can have it on the street for short runs (along with this will re-align the car) and then we'll take it one step at a time.

To me the F355 is a great looking car (one of the best of all time) and a stripped-down, raw version is what true motoring should be all about. Will see how I Feel in the next few weeks after I get it :)

20. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Congrats! BTW, the New England Region is having a track event on Friday/Saturday Aug 16-17 (full details coming out next week). Come play...

vty,

--Dennis

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Congratulations, Dan.

If your car has the 2200 lb F and 900 lb rear Challenge springs, you don't have to change the ride height. My car is set up the way it raced with Challenge springs and alignment and I haven't had any problems with it on the street. The increased negative camber will cause some uneven wear on street tires though.

Reinstall the headlights and wipers and use one of the door lock switches on the console for a horn. These are essential items for its use on the street.

The F355 Challenge is not very spectacular on the street. The racing clutch takes some getting used to starting off in 1st gear. You won't appreciate its handling and abilities until you track the car at speed on a road course. Then you'll see what slicks and the Challenge suspension and alignment does for the car.

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It's far out, man! ;)

It's a great track car, Dale. I'm happy I got it.

Barry

23. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    #123 dantm, Jun 5, 2013
    Here's a picture of the car -- I'm thinking without adjusting the ride height (even with the stock springs) this thing will bottom out on every other bump? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to sit lower than other CH cars I've seen?

Thoughts?

24. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Barry's advice is spot on. The ride height should be *ok* for the *roads*; it'll be entering and exiting ramps and speed bumps and such where you'll have an issue (and construction, natch). This car may already have scrapes and stuff underneath; check it out, and see how much you think you'll care.

25. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    #125 dantm, Jun 6, 2013
    Hi guys I have a question regarding the F355 challenge exhaust and secondary air system. Part of the reason for asking is because the car I am getting has a 'slow down 1-4' light which is on right when the car starts and stays solid...this doesn't make sense to me because I do not have cats; the headers go out the back with a straight pipe/tips.

Anyway -- from the attached picture, which are the components that remain on the F355 challenge -- is it just the exhaust that is different or are any of the other components present? I don't have the car here so I can't check visually so I'm looking from expert feedback here.

Thank you.