Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hmmm I though all Challenge cars after 96 were bill of sale only. That said get it done in SC.

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'm not familiar with the 458 as yet as I am considering the same down the road, currently I have 3 CH cars with street tirtes pre 96

Serial number would have to be legit for the make model. Titles are easy to get registration is a totally different game as is insurance.
    Dealer plates may be the best solution

Let us know how you make out

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I want to make sure I understand before I disagree.

I have registered cars where I could not have titled them.

Where can you get a title easier than a registration?

Matt

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah it's getting quite interesting, some states at this point will issue a title of ownership and that's all it is. A title that you own it. To register it the car must have a valid VIN for the make model that's in the DMV database from the manufacturer. Unless you go with an assigned state VIN.
    I'm sure some states have quite different rules to make a registration happen I would love to know them confidently, I play with a lot of one off vehicles.

My main residence is Cali things here must be on the up and ups to properly do it.

:)

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think the DMV VIN database is a uniquely CA model.

Vermont won’t issue titles for antique or vintage cars, only registrations.

Florida will title and register any fool thing you want: electric go-kart, ski-do, or hovercraft. No original VIN necessary.

I titled and registered the third Ariel Atom to be built in the USA, and currently have a Pur Sang Bugatti that’s road legal. So I’m pretty familiar with “one off” vehicles.

Matt

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Thank you Matt !!!

I was not sure how FL did things. May have to give it a try one day. I assume they just assign a VIN take your money and have a nice day :)
    Fortunately I do have an Buss address in Tampa.

Tim :)

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Here's the Florida form. You'll see it makes no distinction between "vehicle" and "vessel".

They want you to provide a VIN, whether a MSO, boat production number, or some other set of digits. Almost everything has something stamped somewhere. That'll do.

If you pay 6% sales tax and you can register whatever you want.

Pennsylvania is very unfriendly to kit cars and other specially constructed vehicles. Surprising when you consider how popular car shows at Hershey and Carlisle are.

But that's also reflected in the inspection laws. PA is every year, FL is never.

Matt

Attached Files:

SoCal1 likes this.
  8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Need a FL DL?

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Nope.

I have a car titled and registered in FL with a PA license.

Matt

SoCal1 likes this.
  10. elevated velocity

Feb 9, 2019
  11. Chris458F1

Chris458F1 Rookie

Jan 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Christopher Falanga

GA is kinda screwed up when it comes to kit cars. They have to have all the safety features from the year the vehicle was assembled. I should be able to register a 458 challenge though as long as it has a title. My rat rod is registered by a 1913 dash tag only and there we no issues there. If not I’ll just register it in Montana like everyone in GA does to avoid the taxes.

12. Vespa67

Vespa67 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Full Name:
    Nick Vespa
    Be careful. When I imported a couple Maserati GT4 race cars, I had to apply for a racing car exclusion under the EPA regulations at 40 CFR 85.1511 (e). From the EPA approval letter:

"This racing vehicle exclusion covers only the subject vehicles(s) and only under full compliance with the enclosed Terms and Conditions. If you sell the subject vehicle(s), you must inform the buyer of this racing exclusion and the prohibition on registering or licensing the vehicle for street use. You must also inform EPA of the sale and provide us the name and address of the buyer. Because EPA maintains records of racing exclusions granted, failure to report sale of this vehicle could cause difficulties for you if the buyer improperly converts the vehicle for street use.

A breach of any term or condition shall cause the exclusion granted pursuant to this approval to be void. Consequently, the introduction or delivery for introduction into commerce of the subject vehicle other than in strict conformity with all terms and conditions of this approval shall constitute a violation of section 203 (a)(1) of the Clean Air Act, and may render the importer liable for a civil penalty of up to $37,500 per violation under section 205 of the Act, as well as other penalties. In addition, noncompliance may result in the seizure of the vehicle by U.S. Customs and Border Protection."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Which is a shame.

GA, and "Titles Unlimited", used to be the easiest way to title a car.

Matt