Are Exoto 1/43 high quality? | FerrariChat

Are Exoto 1/43 high quality?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by swift53, Jul 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Are Exoto 1/43 High quality for value? Vs. other 'top of the line' alternatives?

Their photos are good but not the best.

Thank you for your kind opinions

Manda racing and gt4me like this.
  2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Well yes and no... Depends on the model(s), and prices. So if you can post pics of the specific models, and the prices being asked I would be happy to reply.

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I own heaps of Exoto models- all Ferrari F1 but must admit to them all being 1/18th scale.

Each one is amazing in detail (higher then CMC which is saying something).

Interested to hear about their 1/43rd scale models, to be honest I didn't think they made many in that size.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Alberto,

Their 1:43 Ferrari transporter is one of the best pieces they made. In fact, all of their 1:43 transporters were great, really surprisingly good. Excellent detail and accuracy, much more so than any of their very early 1:18 pieces. But later 1:18s are superb. Prices on the 1:43rds are generally on the high end. Exoto has NO dealers since they have the worst business ethics ever. But that aside, prices seem to be all over the place. Value is still pretty good though.

Top price per model should be absolutely no more than about $600 each (so $1,200 for the pair), and less would be better. Now I also just took a quick look on eBay, and found this listing showing these 2 as a set for a lot less....

"Exclusive Set of 2 - Scale 1:43 | Approx. 11 Inches Long Each." With a Buy It Now price of only $890. Now that is a VERY good value!

eBay item number: 275270758441
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/275270758441?hash=item40176a7029:g:NfQAAOSw671dBA-Z

swift53 and Rosey like this.
  6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Was it only transporters they made in 1/43rd scale or cars as well?

And you're right, back 20 years ago my local die cast dealer had a shelf full of Exoto models. Today I don't think I've seen a new one in a store anywhere around the world.

Lusso123 likes this.
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    They only made transporters in 1:43 scale, no cars at all.

Rosey likes this.
  8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Brilliant Marshall!
    I just could not bear paying the TOP $ figure. Excellent value...
    How are the 1/43 models that go with the transporters?

Kind regards,
    Alberto

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Alberto, I'm guessing you purchased that set ($for $890) on eBay? Happy to help when I can. As for the 1:43 cars they show with the transporters... well the majority those are not very good. All the Ferrari's are not good. Spark being the good exception with GT40s to go with the Ford transporters, but Exoto usually shows the cheap IXO pieces with them! The majority of what they show are cheap, mass produced diecast things. Exoto uses various brands, none are very good, and nowhere as good as the transporters. If you want good models that will match in detail, fit & finish....you need hand builts by firms like BBR, or get a pro model builder to build various good kits to your specifications.

Rosey and gt4me like this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Marshall, thanks to you! I certainly did and not overpriced. Just right value.

I noticed the Exoto photos of the cars and they do not come close to the transporters,
    whereas the 1/18 models at least look the part if bought at 'reasonable' prices.
    Definitely, bbr, etc, will be the way for the models. Just want the trucks to look the part.

Exoto will take reservation for the 1/18 transporters, but as they said, delivery? Who knows.
    At least very honest about it.

Kind regards,
    Alberto

Rosey likes this.
  11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Some models in their 1/18 Grand Prix series are just permanently listed as coming soon (I'm talking 5 years plus).

If you thought CMC took a while to finally release their 275 GTB/C model, that's nothing compared to Exoto's release times !!

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Evidently (apparently) Covid put a huge dent in timely releases from Exoto as deeply in China.

CMC, I just received a note Today! for their 275.
    Is it really worth it?

Regards, Alberto

PS who are the best bets to 'load' the transporters and not spending fortunes, reasonably acceptable
    quality, not the $50 models!

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I've ordered the 275 from CMC, coming next month.

I have all the Ferrari CMC models and think the details are superb.

I've heard a few negative comments on the quality of the 275 but I'm prepared to give it a go and purchase.

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Alberto, I am very glad you got those two transporters. It was a good deal. But... as for Exoto and their announced future releases, too much has been written over many years about them and their miserable lack of ethics and piss poor customer service. I know and have personally dealt with the owner there. Horrible is the nicest thing I can say about how he and his company operate. Covid is absolutely NOT the reason for any delays of releases from Exoto. There is so very much to this, and volumes have been written by many over quite a number of years. Many of Exoto's releases have been over 20 years in the making, and still no sign of them!

Regarding CMC, I really am not impressed with their Ferrari 275 GTB/C models. Problems with all versions. I have not ordered any. I'm happier with my static BBR 275 GTB/4 model. I'm sure the CMC models will sell very well, but I also know many collectors who will not buy these. By the way, I consulted with CMC for several years on a number of their models.

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    All i can object to, (from one photo) is the ft. turn signal indicator. It looks HUGE.
    Still a lovely piece of kit.

Yes Marshall, the transporters were a great deal.
    Well, on the Exoto front, all I say is what the owner told me. Blames the Chinese, but then I am not in that world.
    I have dealt with him myself, yes, kinda odd. He seems to have taken a liking to me and has sent me some kits that were on a 'fire sale'.
    I still have to open the box, as not in the USA (myself).
    Will report on that.

Thank you all.
    Regards, Alberto

Lusso123 likes this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Alberto, you are very fortunate to have had good dealings with Exoto. You are in the minority. Tony makes up stories, is very dishonest, and blames everyone else...always. I know him well enough (since the late 1980s), and unfortunately he has no clue as to what the words, honesty, responsibility, and good business ethics mean. If you do ever happen to shake hands with him, then you'd better count all your fingers after!

Maser GTS, gt4me, Rosey and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Even when the models already exist, Exoto takes forever to release new versions of them! Case in point: I have a friend who is a huge Nigel Mansell fan. For years, Exoto has been advertising an upcoming version of their Williams FW14B with a Mansell driver figure. I want to give this to my friend as a Christmas present but I have been waiting at least 6 years for the release. They already have the car, and they already have the driver figure (admittedly, in a Ferrari suit), so why the delay in putting them together?

Rosey likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Indeed, you are right. It says wait listed, just as the 1/18 Ferrari transporter.

Tony told me " I do not want your money, and not deliver".

I think that is your answer.

Regards, Alberto

Rosey likes this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Gp models are doing a fine job, they are about 230€ each.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Pedro,
    Which model and brand are you referring to on the GP Models website?

Regards,
    Alberto

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry Alberto, my mistake, i meant Gp-replicas. They have models from the 50s and 60s...and also 70, 80, 90s, and i think they look very good. If you fail to find them i'll send you some links.

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pedro, nao problema, found it but have no clue as to what would look good on the transporters without breaking the bank :)

Regards, Alberto

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Tell us your budget and how many cars, we will give you some options.