Are PVC pipes fuel safe? | FerrariChat

Are PVC pipes fuel safe?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Sep 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm working on a new fuel filler and would like to use regular PVC pipe to fill the gas tank with fuel on a regular basis.

So: Is PVC pipe fuel safe or does it get affected and eventually disintegrate and leak and shed itself into the fuel mixture?

2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  3. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Andreas, I wouldn't use it. You need to check out how I did my fuel filler. I gave you the main assembly. I would use gas rated hosing for the short distance that the lfeed line would have to travel. Call me and we can talk about it.

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Andreas,
    I would use either the hose that Rick has suggested, or short pieces of hose to couple a section of metal tubing in the middle.

go to www.mcmaster.com search for aluminum tubing, then 1.25" OD, or whatever size you might desire.

Part Number: 89965K99
    $10.85 Each
    Type
    General Purpose Aluminum Tubing
    Material
    Aluminum Alloy 6061
    Shape
    Single Line
    Outside Dia.
    1-1/4" (1.25")
    Outside Dia. Tolerance
    ±.01"
    Inside Dia.
    1.18"
    Wall Thickness
    .035"
    Maximum Pressure
    525 psi @ 72º F
    Operating Temperature Range
    -454º to +400º F
    Metal Bendability
    Bendable
    Temper
    Hard T6
    Tensile Strength
    High
    Metal Construction
    Seamless
    Metal Flareability
    Not Flareable
    Sterilize With
    Steam (autoclave)
    Specifications Met
    Aerospace Material Specifications (AMS) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
    ASTM Specification
    ASTM B210
    AMS Specification
    AMS-WW-T-700/6
    Compatible Fittings
    Compression
    Length
    36"

5. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Andreas, I will have Chelle give some info as well. :)

6. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreaes,
    I'm assuming you're going to go from the stock vette tank to a filler on the body.
    As your car is a body on rubber mounts bolted to a frame with the tank mounted to the frame and filler mounted to the body, I would personally recommend having the connection between the two be somewhat flexible. It's going to have to endure vibrations due to both over the road use and the continuous shifting of the body on the mounts. Granted, the shifting is going to be minor, and with sufficiant plasticizer added it would be flexible enough to not end up cracking, but there's the big question. What grade is best for this application? Too much plasticizer to make it soft and flexible and it ends up not being sturdy enough and not having the service life to last in a car, not enough and it's too hard and ends up with millions of tiny stress fractures and leaks. Additionally, the plasticizers that make various grades of PVC flexible continuously outgas over the life of the piece and it gradually becomes harder and breaks down. I don't know if fuel flowing through it would accelerate this process or not.
    I agree with Bill and Rick - either a full length of fuel grade hose(we did this on our tank filler), or fuel hose at each end with a piece of steel or aluminum tube the right shape and size in the middle(similar to how we did our radiator lines).
    We found a good selection in the big sizes at a farm and tractor trailer hydraulic supplier, but McMaster-Carr has even more I'm sure.. the hard line part of our radiator lines was fabricated from stainless steel tube.
    A vent tube is a good idea too, this allows the air that's being displaced as the fuel rushes into the tank to get out. I once plugged off our filler neck vent trying to eliminate gas fumes inside and when we were filling the tank next time it ended up shooting gas out the filler neck like 5 feet!!

Chelle

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks all! I learnt a good deal from your comments and will act accordingly.

Guess I'll have to return all that heavy duty Chicago water works steel pipe I stole from one of the bridges...:)

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok you experts, here is the next question:

If I go with a hose, what is the minimum diameter it has to have to allow the fuel from the pump at the station to freely flow into the tank?

I'm afraid that if that diameter is not big enough the fuel won't go down fast enough and I'll have an overflow situation at the pump. Come to think of it, Bill, aren't you somewhat experienced in that field? :)

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    1.25" to 1.75" ID should be plenty, I believe those are sort of a standard sizes for filler neck hose. There should be plenty of room for the fuel to flow down to the tank and for the air to escape. I have a brand new 1 foot piece of fuel proof 1.75" wire reinforced hose in the back of my office at this moment. :)

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    He sure is!

If I recall correctly, it took about an hour for him to fill the tank in the 365, during that jaunt we all took a few years ago. ;)

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That was because of a clogged pump filter at the station.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that 1.25" would do the trick. Problem is that catalogs like Jegs don't sell anything bigger than 3/8" (by the way, what measure is AN?). As a matter of fact 1.25" is the diameter of the filler I plan on using.

Any chance you'd sell me that hose sitting in your office? Or have me a source where I could get some more of that? Ideally would like to have about 4 feet.

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    www.mcmaster.com

Flexible Buna-N Rubber Petroleum Hose

• Use with petroleum products
    • Tube: Buna-N
    • Cover: Blended Buna-N/PVC
    • Reinforcement: Synthetic fabric with a wire spiral
    • Temperature Range: -35° to +200° F
    • Vacuum: 29" Hg @ 72° F

ID = 1 1/2" OD=2 1/32" Max PSI=150 Stock # 56315K51
    Per foot/ less than 100 = $8.45

General Purpose Buna-N Rubber Petroleum Hose
    • Use with gasoline, fuel oil, diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, grease
    • Tube: Buna-N
    • Cover: Blended Buna-N/PVC
    • Reinforcement: Steel wire spiral
    • Temperature Range: -40° to +212° F
    ID = 1 1/4" OD=1 21/32" Max PSI=150 Stock # 5282K63
    Per foot/ less than 100 = $5.69

(630) 600-3600 if you call them and order it, you can probably have it at your door Wednesday (UPS ground).

14. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Four feet???
    If it's got to cover that kind of distance you REALLY need a vent hose. if you're using the stock Vette tank it should have a vent on the left side of the tank near the top - I believe it is about a 5/16" tube

AN Hose sizes are in terms of 1/16-inch increments. Aircraft hose dash size is not the I.D. of the hose. Dash size is the tube equivalent. For example, a -4 aluminum tube is 4/16 outside diameter. A -4 aircraft hose's inside diameter is equivalent to the inside diameter of a -4 tube, usually 3/16 inch.of the Inner Diameter of the hose measured in units of 1/16th of an inch.
    So looking at the list below figure the hose to fit a little snug on a tube listed..
    The example of your vent tube being about 5/16 outside diameter I'd suggest a -6 AN line - because the inside diameter is going to be just under 6/16" (3/8"). A -5 might be too tight of a fit

-2 = 1/8"
    -3 = 3/16"
    -4 = 1/4"
    -5 = 5/16"
    -6 = 3/8"
    -8 = 1/2"
    -10 = 5/8"
    -12 = 3/4"
    -16 = 1"
    -20 = 1 1/4"

Chelle

15. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Great choice Bill, The wire spiral reinforcement will prevent it collapsing wherever it might go around a corner... and somehow I doubt he'll ever exceed the max PSI of 150 in the filler neck ;)

Andreas, I can attest - they deliver superfast...

Chelle

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Bill and Chelle. No rush here as all these things take forever. But I'm starting to run low on parts to bolt on so I'm looking for resupplies. :)

4 feet was an exaggeration, realistically it is more like under 2 feet. Can't say whether there is a vent line as the whole tank is somewhat buried and enclosed. Maybe from underneath?

Meanwhile I found some useful bits and pieces at...Crate&Barrel. Seriously. :)

17. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Vent line from under the tank? I don't think so. I drilled one on the top of my tank because I thought I was getting vapor lock everytime I first took it out. (Landed up being a part of the sending unit gasket getting sucked into the fuel line opening.