Are TRs the next Pantera? | FerrariChat

Are TRs the next Pantera?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PSP, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Please don't hate me for these blasphemous statements - I have had my 88TR for nearly 10 years now. There are certain things I absolutely love about the car and a few things I just can't stand.

What do I mean by the title of this thread? Of a high performance, somewhat limited production car, the Pantera seems to me to be the most likely to have been customized in one form or another. It's almost impossible to find an original car anymore - they were at one point inexpensive enough to be available and yet had enough potential to let the mind wander. I've seen flares, body kits, wild engine modifications, etc. all possible because they were affordable and didn't destroy the value of the car.

I have read all of the threads here discussing how the prices of TRs have fallen like lead balloons. One of the main killers of these cars is the cost of maintenance. Parts are outrageous even compared to most other Ferraris - and if you do meticulously maintain the car yourself (vs. taking it to a dealer), you effectively kill the potential resale value. How can a car like henryk's only be worth $40K? Even at $49K it seems like a steal considering the time, money, and effort put into it. Further in the thread, we see this quote
    Has the market really decided that these cars are THAT bad? - or is it just that the cost of keeping the car "original" would bankrupt even a sultan?(assuming you could still find all of the parts)

Ferrari does some things extremely well (mechanics, handling, styling) and some things VERY poorly. Just using my car as an example, the glaring weaknesses that I see fall into 2 categories - electrics and engine management.

The electrics issues of TRs are well documented here, between burned connectors, chafed wires, hot start problems related to connectors, etc. My car has had the electronics of the seatbelt system replaced 3 times. What would it take to completely rewire a car with "state of the art" components, connectors, etc.?

I am defining engine management as ignition, injection, and emissions. Some of these subsystems work fine (to a point) but they are extremely costly to replace should something malfunction. The examples that come to mind first are $600 distributor caps and $300 coils (assuming you can find them) - and remember we're talking about 2 of each per car. I'm not aware of any TRs that haven't had the mysterious "Slow Down" ECUs malfunction. They can be replaced at exorbitant cost, but you KNOW it's just a matter of time before it happens again. Many years ago, I blew a relay in the fuel injection system. I was fortunate that the guy at the parts counter at Ferrari of Woodland Hills tipped me that the Bosch relay in a Ferrari bag was close to $250 while the identical relay in a Porsche bag (for a 928 IIRC) was less than $100.

(Sorry for the long-winded diatribe) - but here is my point: Are TRs reaching the point where it would be worthwhile to consider replacing all of the major subsystems with "state of the art" components that have inexpensive, reliable spares available off the shelf? I'm talking about replacing the distributors and coils with suitable electronic versions as discussed in some of the other threads, an engine management EFI system that is infinitely adjustable with available parts, etc. The mechanical portions (with a few exceptions like the $2,500 clutch) seem to be very durable and suitable for long life.

Would this destroy the value or the "charm" of the car - or just make it so that it can be driven the way it was meant to be driven without so many of the niggling irritations? I find it very frustrating that so many of these subsystems have intermittent glitches any of which can leave you sitting on the side of the road - like happened to me when the circuitry on one of the coils shut off the power to the fuel pumps.

End of rant.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, it's not to far from being granted to FerrariUK for parts support.

Speaking for myself this had made a night/day difference in 308GTB ownership. But really, like the TR or 308, ownership makes no $$$ sense whatsoever unless you are in love with the car!!!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    EFI supposedly adds 40-50hp, bringing the car up to around 512TR levels.

Why not?

4. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    I had a 308GTB for 6 years before the TR. In general, the parts on the 308 were expensive, but not exorbitant. TR parts are not only exorbitant but tough to get.

Examples:

Clutch Kit (Sodacom's Prices)

348 $884
    360 $796
    512TR $840
    TR $2,338 or $3,053

It's not that I don't love the car. I don't love wondering what is going to work or not work every time I drive it - and I'm not even sure what kind of maintenance you could do to ensure that.

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    In my eyes, I would see nothing wrong and would not devalue a car that has been properly modified to keep it running and reliably too. I emphasise "properly" modified (competent shop/known-brand components/neat & tidy installation/etc...).

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    :) LOL

7. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    William - Is this essentially what you did except building it as a race car instead of a street car?

Edit - I'm not looking to improve the performance so much as improve the reliability and make future maintenance more "user-friendly".

8. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I honestly don't think that the TR is THAT expensive to maintain. While you quote correct figures for some parts.......remember, these are "list" prices. I have found that there is a competitive market out there for parts.

I just bought new distributor caps, for my TR, for $300 each........and these are original, not repros. A fellow Chatter bought them for just $220 each. On my desk, at the office, sits a brand new TR clutch........about $1600. The fun of owning a TR is searching for reasonable part prices. Granted, some parts are still high, but so are they on 308s. The trick is to find the "right" source.

When my TR fuel pump stopped, I bought a complete mother board, for $700. This included all new relays and fuses........I now have about 15 spare relays.

I have not had a problem with the seat belts (65K miles). Last year I had the recall done on new belts.

While replacing the copper gaskets for the FI system, dealers wanted anywhere from $0.50 to $1 per gasket. I found a source where I bought 100 gaskets for $12. I wanted to replace a couple of nuts.....dealer stated $2.50 per nut..........bought 100 for about $12.50.....WOW........now I will replace all the nuts, and still have 80 left over!!!!!!!!

Many people stated their dashes warped.......this would be expensive, but mine is still like new. I feel lucky here.

So, while parts are generally more expensive, it is part of the fun of searching........at least for me, but then again, I do my own maintanence.

9. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    henryk, I understand what you're saying and agree that finding correct parts at a great price can be very satisfying, BUT the clutch you have sitting on your desk is a "deal" at $1,600 - that's DOUBLE the retail price of the other Ferrari clutches. It's not like it is a clutch designed to handle 1,000 HP or a special race clutch to provide that extra 1/10 at the start line in a Formula 1 race - it's a street car clutch that doesn't last terribly well.

When I got the replacement coil last summer, I was told by more than one source that Magneti-Morelli(sp) no longer makes them and has no plans to start again anytime soon. It sounds like they are likely to get MORE expensive AND tougher to find.

I'm not concerned if my dash warps (it already has to a lesser extent) - those aren't the sort of things that I'm talking about. I do a vast majority of the maintenance on my car as well, but the kinds of problems I'm running into aren't the sort of things that are handled by "routine maintenance", i.e. the degradation of the electrical connectors throughout the car. Have you done any special preventative maintenace on the automatic seatbelts or have they aways worked? Anything special with the "Slow Down" ECUs?

10. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Don't forget, that the TR clutch has "two" discs, not one........hence, the price? I have driven my car about 25K miles (PO had more), and the clutch is only 2/3 worn......so, if one doesn't race the car, the clutch should last. I have heard of some getting 50K-75+K miles on one clutch. From what I read in this forum, other clutches seem to go out MUCH earlier.........so, is there a real deal with them?

It is hard to believe that coils will not be made anymore. Aren't there like 10+K TRs out there? Maybe there is an aftermarket one, and that is why no one is buying original? I don't know.

I have never had a problem with degredation of the electrical connectors......with ANY of my cars.

I have done nothing to the seatbelts.......they always worked fine, even the new ones, due to the recall. They have always worked.

If a slow-down ECU goes on my car, then I will just plug up the holes, and not use the thermocouples. I have test pipes, that I made, to replace the cats, so it wouldn't be a problem anyway......you don't need the slow-down ECUs if you have test pipes.

Remember, I could care less about keeping my car in concourse condition.........I only want to keep it in running condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, my silver 512TR is pure performance. I will be rebuilding the trans to make it sronger & see if I can get 600 hp out of the engine w/o turbos

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think you answered your own question. given that the values of tr's have fallen so much, you might as well dispense with trying to keep it completely original, or having all the work done by some sort of ferrari garage. go ahead and use parts from whoever's parts bin, as long as they are identical in function. go ahead and do the work yourself or wherever you can get it done cheaply.
    the important thing is to have a reliable and fun car. very few people will ask you if your distibutor cap is genuine oem. and if the car works better than it did when new, then who cares ?

13. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    If you are going to modify the car. I'd reccommmend calling James @ Norwoods. He's done a MILIION of mods to TR's. He has a great feel for the cars, and is familiar with your feelings.

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Patrick, did you just wake up one day to discover you own an "old car"?
    ;)

Just feel lucky that you don't own an old Bugatti,
    talk about having parts custom made!

15. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    ...but is it really THAT old?

The cheapest for a Bugatti I could find was around $1.5 mil - and they're not getting any cheaper. If a $1,600 TR clutch is considered a "deal" on a now $40,000 car, that would extrapolate to a clutch for Bugatti costing $60,000.
    The major service ($8,000 at a dealer) would extrapolate to $300,000 - the cost of a full concours restoration.

I guess it's just about time to find one of the "how many do you want at $35K" TRs and start playing.

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #16 Chiaro_Slag, Apr 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The TR is not that much more expensive to maintain than my 328. Major service for my 328 was 3,800 and the same mechanic quoted me 4,800 for the TR. They are both great cars - The 328 is a bit more nimble, while the TR is much smoother & feels a bit less like a race car.

I think if you can find a nice TR in the 40's (I paid way more than that for mine :)), jump on it! They are absolutely gorgeous cars! Nothing beats the back end of a TR and the sides are just timeless.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Please don't misunderstand, I do like my car - I'm just a little frustrated with certain aspects of it after 10 years of ownership. The difference in maintenance costs that I think you'll discover between your 328 and the TR is not so much in labor but in the cost of the parts themselves - and there are very few aftermarket parts. The TR is heavily reliant on little electronic boxes of dubious integrity.

My thought is that the primary reason the TR market is soft is that the cars are so much more expensive to maintain properly than other Ferraris.

(Jerry, I think I met you at Crystal Cove in early December - I arrived late so I had to park my TR out in the general lot.)

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - I didn't notice your location - I think I do remember you - Was it a red TR?

I hope you make it down to CC again so we can get our TR's together. :)

Don't scare me too much - I'm a new owner. :)

Hopefully once Ferrari of UK starts sourcing parts, they will come down a little in price and be a little cheaper.

19. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    I hope this doesn't come out as a flame, it isn't meant to be that way at all! I do love TRs, heck, back in the 80s when I was in grade/middle school I had the poster on the wall.

I've also owned one and loved it. But I think the problem with TRs is that they have become something of a faded glory car in many ways. I see a lot more rough ones than I do nice ones, and, let's face it, they aren't cheap to maintain. and nor are they the most reliable things on the planet. Mine was the most troublesome Ferrari I have ever owned and I maintained it like a madman as did the 2 POs. They are also a very "80s" design and many people feel they look quite dated these days. So they are getting to the same point where Quattroportes, Lagondas, old Rolls-Royces, etc are.

A lot of people can afford to buy one for what's really new BMW 330ci or M3 money but can't afford to maintain it. So the cars get driven into the ground. They have fragile interiors and a lot of the ones I see look awful inside.

$35K? I don't think NICE ones trade for that. I do think the typical rough and edgy TR isnt worth much over $35K if even that much.

20. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    All you guys are sooo bad!!!!!! Shame on you!!! i'm going to tell my mom on you! ;-)

Here i sit having the '85 Euro spec 308QV modded for better street/track, lowering the weight, race seats... all the while LUSTING to ALSO have a TR. Reading the posts and seeing the cars here makes me want to sell one of my personal toys (not the 308) to get a TR.

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

i hear there is a GREAT example for sale for about $45k with around 60k miles and GREAT service history :)

(As i begin to sing) If i was a rich man...

Enjoy(ing) the Music (Roger Waters "Pros And Cons of Hitch Hiking" right now)

Steven R. Rochlin

"So I stood by the roadside
    The soles of my running shoes gripping
    The tarmac like gunmetal magnets
    Fixed on the front of her Fassbinder face
    Was the kind of a smile
    That only a rather dull child could have drawn
    While attempting a graveyard in the moonlight
    But she was impressed
    You could see that she thought I looked fine
    And when she turned sweeter
    The reason, between you and me, was
    She'd just seen my red Ferrari

So we went for a spin in the country
    To feel the wind in our hair
    To feel the power of my engine
    To feel the thrill of desire"

21. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Steven...you NEED to get a TR!! You'll wonder why you didn't get one in the first place too! They are truly amazing machines -- and everytime you stomp on the TR's pedal you'll be grinning from ear to ear! My wife literally screams everytime I take her for a spin and push the car a bit (and we're talking nowhere even near redline here) -- the car flat out scares her at speed. :) And the TR performs all this almost effortlessly! Be prepared for lots of attention from fellow motorists and pedestrians too -- people love to see TR's on the road -- they point, wave, follow you, gawk...it's almost embarassing sometimes. You won't be able to drive one incognito :D

BTW, did you see the 5th Gear Top 10 video link on one of the other threads? TR wins!

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I disagree that the TR looks dated. I still think it is one of the best looking cars on the road!

23. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    What link for video???? i missed it somehow :(

As for needing to get a TR, i KNOW i KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP TEASING ME WILL YOU!!!!!!!! You are worse than this 21 yr old exotic sexy gal i dated 2 years ago (yes, i awas 37 at the time). Well, actually she didn't tease THAT much... well... she did kinda have a "going to eat you alive smiley grin" look on her face quite often, and... well... she was "T"rouble... but you KNOW it was all worth it, but, well... you know?

EH HEM, anyway. Where was i. Oh yeah, a TR. Dude, the TR will be my travelling/cruising car while the 308 will be for "tossing about" on the roads. At least that's the plan (crossing fingers).

Problem is, i REALLY like the original HIGH mirrors, but want a later model due to factory improvements. Hmm... nothing a good body shop can't "fix" :)

24. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Dated..hah...I just came back from the Christies Ferrari display at Rock Center and amongst the GTO, Lusso and Daytonas there is a black 87 TR (advertised for $59.9k by autosport design with 33k miles) that is in fair condition, by no means perfect and the crowds are hovering around it!

25. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland

That's an excellent plan!! TR's love the open roads!

Here's a link to the streaming 5th Gear video (it's listed at the top of the website):

http://www.ferraridefrance.com/main.php?lang=us&state=1

And here's a link to the F-Chat thread (just ignore all the negative comments about the 308 / TR :)):

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15907