Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gross

stavura likes this.
  2. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    but doesn't losing suck?

DGPF likes this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145256/brawn-ferrari-badly-needs-win-to-ease-pressure

Formula 1 motorsport managing director Ross Brawn says his former Ferrari team "badly" needs a win to avoid pressure building, after "too big a gap" in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Ferrari has failed to score a victory in any of the 12 races so far, although it did cross the line first in Canada before Sebastian Vettel's time penalty dropped him to second.

Sunday's race at the Hungaroring, the last before F1's summer break, finished with both Ferraris more than a minute behind race winner and runaway championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

Brawn, one of the masterminds behind Ferrari's run of titles with Michael Schumacher from 2000-04, said that was "too big a gap for the team".

"One knew from the track characteristics that this race would not suit the Ferrari car, but not to the extent we saw, especially in the race," said Brawn in his post-race debrief.

"The times from the third sector, where you need maximum downforce, speak volumes, as the car was so far off the pace of the Mercedes and Red Bulls.

"The summer break has probably come at just the right time because I'm well aware of how the pressure can build on Ferrari when things aren't going well.

"It won't do any harm to take a breather and recharge the batteries.

"Then, once the racing starts again, the aero requirements of Spa and Monza could put Vettel and Leclerc right in the fight again, considering the aero efficiency of their cars.

"Ferrari badly needs a win, not so much for their championship aspirations, but as a morale booster, to prove that it has the potential to be a championship contender, an obligation it has always been under."

Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari's best-placed driver in the championship, is fourth in the standings and 94 points behind Hamilton.

Ferrari is 150 points behind Mercedes in the constructors' contest.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hamilton's eighth win from the opening 12 races was earned after Mercedes switched him to a two-stop strategy in a bid to overhaul long-time race leader Max Verstappen.

Brawn said that meant Hamilton "had to fight like the champion he is" to win and described his final stint on fresh tyres as "lapping at almost qualifying pace".

"Earlier, the two men fought a thrilling duel that went in the Dutchman's favour," said Brawn.

"It's true Max's tyres were shot towards the end, but Mercedes had the benefit of seeing first hand what the hard tyres could do, thanks to a long stint from Valtteri Bottas.

"It seemed odd to be calling Hamilton in when his tyres seemed in good enough shape to keep pushing, but it turned out to be a masterstroke.

"Mercedes, therefore, deserve credit for taking a risk on strategy when they could have gone the more obvious route and then wait for the race to evolve."

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have my own statistics on the matter:
    - it was 11 years between John Surtees (1964) and the next driver's title, Niki Lauda (1975)
    then four years of being at the top until Jody Scheckter (1979)
    - then 21 years between Jody Scheckter and the next driver's title, Michael Schumacher (2000).
    then a few years at the top until Kimi Räikkönen (2007)

My guess, out of sheer superstition, was that the doldrums are to be, either:
    - we would have to wait 11 years after 2007, which would have brought us to 2018: that has failed...
    - so it must be the other option: 21 years, which would bring us to 2028 before the next driver's title.

Rgds

DGPF, ATBNM3 and william like this.
  5. DF1

Very long “doldrums” LoL. I have something to look forward to now :)

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I very well remember the wait between 1979 and 2000, and it was a long wait indeed. The one between 1964 and 1975, not so well: I was only 4 in 1964...
    It's a trick to keep a positive state of mind: nothing is expected before 2028, then; so, if it comes earlier, that would be a pleasant surprise...but perhaps F1 will be dead and gone before that?

(Actually, I don't expect much of the 2021 new rules; usually, when there are a supposed "game changer", it's always the "big ones" that negociate the hairpin the best...)

Rgds

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The problem is on the pit wall and in Maranello.

DGPF and william like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry Ross, we already won in canadá...too bad you and your friends from the Ma(fia)missed it

stavura, crinoid and Bas like this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The sadder question is how far down the grid Ferrari can fall. Ferrari is starting to look like Williams. Great engines but crappy car.

DGPF and william like this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Good point. Their joy was robbed of them.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari has had epic droughts in the past, and this one will break at some point too. Being a fair weather fan because I have so much else I'm interested in, I just phase in and out on my viewing. It hasn't been fun recently, so I haven't watched much. Max versus Ham was pretty interesting Sunday, but I'd had a few pints by the end of the race. :)

I've just had it with the current formula, though. It's torture to those of us who remember NA V12's and V10's.

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  12. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    It's either RB or Merc for the next decade. I think we'll go from second to third. If Ferrari can't find a way to win, then it's best for Leclerc to leave Ferrari and find a better team. If not, his best years are very likely to be wasted at Ferrari.

DGPF, TonyL, ATBNM3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Actually looking forward to next season being more competitive between Mercedes vs Red Bull. Hopefully more exciting races like Hungary.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  14. DF1

+1 someone to challenge Mercedes is good!!

ATBNM3 and Surfah like this.
  15. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145254/ferrari-has-much-to-do-before-summer-break

Ferrari Formula 1 boss Mattia Binotto says his team has "much to do" before the mandatory two-week summer shutdown kicks in, but believes the break is sorely needed.

After 12 grands prix in 2019, Binotto is still waiting for his first victory as Ferrari team principal.

Ferrari's up and down season hit a new low in terms of pure performance in last Sunday's Hungarian GP, as the track is least-suited to its 2019 car's characteristics.

F1's enforced summer break begins after this week and Binotto believes Ferrari needs time off following its exerts so far, but said the chance to relax is still a few days away.

"We'll be back in the office [this week] and there is still much to do before we go on the summer break," said Binotto.

"It's important for us to stop and rest a bit.

"We've spent a lot of energy in this initial start of the season, after winter testing and Australia, when we recognised we had some gap to close on our main competitors.

"We spent, in all departments at the factory and at the racetrack, a lot of energy.

"It's the right time to have some holiday."

Ferrari's best-placed driver in the championship is Sebastian Vettel, 94 points adrift of Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

Mercedes also holds a commanding lead in the constructors' standings, with Ferrari 150 points behind.

Vettel admitted it would be easier for the drivers to switch off over the summer, but expects Ferrari's engineers will be "flat out" at the factory this week.

"It will be a busy break for us," he said. "I don't think anyone's mind can rest in the two weeks, so maybe we'll come up with some good ideas for the second half."

Ferrari started the year on the back foot and has suffered major disappointments such as the late engine problem that denied Charles Leclerc his first F1 win, and Vettel's time penalty that cost him victory in Canada after crossing the line first.

Vettel agreed with Binotto's assessment that the summer break would benefit the team.

"I think it's good now for everyone to get a break," said the four-time world champion.
    "The guys have been working very, very hard.

"We need maybe to charge our batteries and then the battle continues."

He added: "The first week we [the drivers] will help and try to contribute a bit.

"The factory will be closed, it's important for all of us.

"I'll be taking it easy in the first week [of the shutdown] eating a lot of ice cream, and then making sure the belly will disappear again!"

16. DF1

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

Clever, take a completely uncompetitive car from the first 12 races and double down for the last 10.

DGPF and Bas like this.
  18. DF1

Im not at all sure what is to prove lol :) ???

19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ferrari drought? Absolutely!

All things are cyclic an you can see that already with red bull, mclaren on the up, and maybe even Williams. (Hoe did stroll like getting beat by the team he continually threw under the bus last year?)

I can see red bull back challenging the mercs, but I can’t see Ferrari doing this until there are some fundamental changes.

Merc will only start to loose when there are some key personnel changes; which will come off day it’s just human nature. But st the moment they have a team that just works at every level. Should be some management PHDs done on them!!

william and G. Pepper like this.
  20. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145298/gap-to-mercedes-cant-be-ferrari-only-target

Ferrari cannot consider its gap to Mercedes as its only target as it seeks to add more downforce to its Formula 1 car, says team principal Mattia Binotto.

The Italian team prioritised aerodynamic efficiency for its 2019 car and has struggled at circuits that required maximum downforce as a result.

Ferrari is trying to rectify that deficiency with a series of in-season updates, but it is aware that will not be enough for next year.

"We are lacking maximum downforce," said Binotto. "There are circuits where we're not running to maximum downforce so, in that case, it can be different.

"We are certainly seeking more downforce, already in the current year.

"In the second part of the season we will try to put whatever maximum downforce we can put on the car, and the car for next year will require even more.

"We know that our competitors are developing next year's car by trying to put [on more] downforce. "We cannot consider the gap of today as a single target. "It has to be more than that."

Ferrari's biggest deficits in 2019

Ferrari's performance in the Hungarian Grand Prix left both its cars more than a minute behind race winner Lewis Hamilton at the finish.

However, it was not the team's worst weekend for outright pace - although it does just sneak into the top five, once Germany is discounted because of the team's unrepresentative qualifying pace.

Race Gap to quickest (%)
    Spain 1.148
    Monaco 1.113
    Australia 0.875
    France 0.731
    Hungary 0.632
    Its strongest weekends have been thwarted by errors and reliability problems, and Binotto admitted maximum downforce is not the team's "only weakness".

"That would be unfair on the people at Maranello," he said. "Should we concentrate on next year's car? I don't think so.

"Not only because [of] having the same regulations as next year, whatever we can do this year will be to the benefit of next year's car as well.

"There are still many races, no victory for Ferrari - we have at least a goal and an objective, so we shall do whatever we can, even in this season to do our best."

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    .Amazing no? There's faint hope they're calling everyones bluff...making them appear this stupid and the competition buying it. I sure do.

Surely they'd be spending any and all resources on next years car...we all know downforce is king, so why stick with a low downforce car?!

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #72 TonyL, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Nobody doubts for one milli second that everyone in the SF team are not trying their hardest to get back on top, but there is a fundamental problem in the way the team goes about it.

As an example and to the best of my knowledge the SF wind tunnel, blamed for past and recent correlation problems, appears to be an outdated piece of kit. Built in 1997 for 50% scale models. Undoubtedly its been overhauled over the years but the wind tunnel hasn't fundamentally changed in size which means it is limited to scale models being used or even the inability to use 2 models running at the same time to see the effects on airflow by the following car.

OK, a lot of simulation is done on very powerful computers nowadays but the inability to test or compare the two side by side in order to harmonize data must be of benefit, if the team haven't the capability to verify CFD data in the wind tunnel, on a full sized car, then surely they are ******. If they do and get different results, past techniques allowed them to track test & find out which was sending out bad information.

The FIA constraints of wind tunnel testing and CFD simulation could lead the team to rely more on CFD rather than a joint juxtaposition, with potentially poor results. (as evidenced over the years)

What software are they using, is it in house or a commercially available package or a adaption of each?

Cannot find anything on Mercedes wind tunnel, but it seems to me that the SF tunnel is hugely outdated.

The power plant has nearly always been there, it would have certainly won more races had the chassis been effective

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've always wondered how the FIA intends to police the windtunnel testing. Surely owning your own tunnel makes it rather hard for the FIA to spot exactly how many hours you spend in the tunnel? Computer data how long hte tunnel has been on can be faked. Closest they can get is get the electric bill...which can easily be cheated by parking up a lorry with a massive generator attached to it during the time the tunnel definitely wasn't on...

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 wholeheartedly agree.

Jeronimo GTO and G. Pepper like this.
  25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not sure how they do it either Bas, but surely the road car division use the same tunnel.

The FIA also control the amount of CFD simulation they can do by monitoring the teraflops used, that's my understanding. But again they must use CFD for the road cars as well.

Its definitely open to cheating or shall we say being liberal with the truth!!

How any team can compete once they fall behind is beyond me, the FIA have kind of boxed people into the sheep pen with no gate!

Tony

Bas likes this.