Are you Hacker-proof? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are you Hacker-proof?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    We're a fairly large Cisco reseller, and a long-time Cisco bigot from CCIE'sm in 1996, so tend to lean that way (also have Cisco VoIP running in the house including a half-dozen 7920's - uber-geekism sometimes).

Lots of server-based routers out there, just passing IP packets is easy. Microsoft started up their routing project on Windows back in '99 - went nowhere (market share anyways). Reminds me - I should collect on a bet I made with their Product Manager in a Seoul Bar in '99!

Nothing wrong with Linux routers if you've got the support staff for it, although some of the asic-based L3 switches can be quite compelling as well. No surprise that quite a few of the lower-priced network products are priced to compete against a tier-1 standalone server.

Any chance of a soft-copy of the article? I'll have to see if one of our Linux hacks has a copy somewhere! I haven't seen a T3 line for so long, man - seems like 5 yrs - everything up here is ethernet based for WAN - 10/100/1000 speeds. I'd expect any current server to have no problems at T3 speeds with QoS and AES/VPN.

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Yup, I just picked up a soft copy of it... I can scan it to pdf for you if you want...

Some setup you've got!

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Yawn, my home and business networks use Netscreen at the front, and, ahem, 'other' gear deeper in. It's honestly much easier to get through the gate, dogs, ballistic glass, cardreader, more ballistic glass, palm and biometric scanner, electronic locks <with battery backup>, key lock and a 12-guage or so and just lift the computer off my desk. Oh wait, it's bolted down in a rack...

No security is 100%, but it *IS* possible to get a whole ****eload of 9s in 99.9...% if you have the right people and money behind you.