Argento Metallizzato 25090 A | FerrariChat

Argento Metallizzato 25090 A

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dustin Wetmore, Oct 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    Good morning all!

I thought I'd share a bit of fun automotive forensics I play with when the opportunity permits.

The panel is from a 1966 330 GTS. I won't be sharing the chassis number out of respect for client confidentiality. The original color from this example was Argento Metallizzato 25090A. I believe the original manufacturer was Italver/ PPG.

Part of my routine is to inspect each body and its removable panels for any evidence of original paintwork. I was excited to see potential with this panel due to the presence of silver around the fastener holes where the red flaked away. After some wet sanding and polishing there's enough material to work with. I can now verify a match to an existing spray sample from the archive. If I'm not 100% with what I have, (though it is nearly exact) I go back to our color map book. The sun's effect will be the biggest deciding factor. I can then work with our paint supplier to tweak the formula to reach the correct metallic particulate size which makes all the difference.

After that it's on to the client for review and final approval.

I've been able to pull this color a few times in the past but it's still a fun way to spend an evening!

Thanks for taking the time to look!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jcavalie likes this.