Ariel Atom, anyone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ariel Atom, anyone?

Discussion in 'British' started by Smiles, Sep 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    1400 HP atom=more crazy than an 80s F1 car.

2. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wouldn't call this a car. More like a fancy go-kart on steroids. Wouldn't want to be seen in one on the streets, it's a track car.

Amazing performance though!

3. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Price range?

Was checking their website, and either they conveniently left it out, or I am not that tech savvy...

All this thing needs is a set of 275s out back and around 600hp.

4. seinfeld

seinfeld Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2004
    Diamond Bar/Cali
    Full Name:
    Gary
  5. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    probably need bigger than 275s. there are cars two or three times the weight of an atom and with 600hp they still spin rediculous amounts

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A good comparison, topped by a quote from Simon Saunders, the reviver of Ariel and the designer of the Atom:

7. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
  8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Definitely one of my current favourite cars. Right up there with a CarreraGT. Completely nuts ... I love it!

9. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    That is the most disgusting half a car I've ever seen. I want one too.

10. hippo

hippo Formula Junior

May 25, 2005
    KL,M'SIA
    Full Name:
    Andri
    the lotus 340r was a failure coz....it just wasnt very good.
    the ariel atom,however,is a brilliant progression on the theme that lotus started with the 7.
    also,did u know that the atom is the fastest car u can buy standard today?
    it was in the english papers in july....

11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Holey Schnikies. My friends and I all need one. Stat.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm having fun choosing the options: Wilwood brakes, 2-way adjustable dampers, "assister" springs, a quick-release steering wheel with shift lights, cockpit brake bias adjuster, and so on.

I can't wait; but unfortunately I'm going to have to. Delivery won't be for a good number of months.

13. mjc123

mjc123 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2004
    CA; TX; MT
    What is your estimated delivery date? Did you go for the big Honda engine?

I configured mine too (came out to about $56k). Gotta have the steering wheel with the shift lights, and the Indy-style wings!!! Also, I hear the stock brakes are worthless, you must upgrade them to the at least the sport brakes.

14. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love it and will buy one in a few years, but I would settle for a few more lbs. if they would put on a cool body like the Radical. That's right, I'm a poser.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Does the U.S model have any sort of windshield? If not do you wear a helmet? Hate to be hit in the face with a rock...

16. mjc123

mjc123 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2004
    CA; TX; MT
    you can get a bubble windscreen similar to what you find on a sport bike.

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it should really be registered as a motorcycle...its a 4 wheel , recumbent motorcycle...that should easy all the crash testing and emmission requirements for the u.s.....btw, how much??? i would love one...it would be a blast on the back country twisty roads near where i live????

18. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    just lookin at their used section, ranges from $27,306 to $62,662 USD. the higher one had the supercharged motor out of the honda s2000 i think, 6spd, LSD, alcon front brakes, competition rear brakes, FIA harness.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #44 Smiles, Sep 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Here in Ct. i believe you are not allowed to wear a helmet while driving a car.
    So is it classified as a M/C.
    Anyways looks like a blast!

21. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    I'd buy one..

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Wow! Saw the video.... fastest car they have ever tested. Faster than a superbike around the track.

Based on the photos and video, it looks as if it would be possible to design some cool looking thin fiberglass bodywork that you could put on it. Make it look something like a late 1950s Ferrari TR ?

Terry

23. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Yes a VERY fast car! It looks like a ton of fun too! It'd be tough to take the wife to dinner in though!

BTW- In the video I watched, it was tested vs a Honda 600RR. That's a very nice, fast bike in the hands of a capable rider. I'd hardly call it a Super bike.

I'd like to see it take on a FAST bike like a R1, CBR1000R, GSXR1000, or a MV Agusta F4! The story might be different................

24. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

Didn't it beat the 600RR by over 4 seconds? Clarkson was driving instead of the Stig. One of those heavier bikes wouldn't do much better.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Dave, Where did you get the idea that it's illegal to wear a helmet in a car in CT? I'm sure that there's nothing in the state code prohibiting the use of a helmet in an automoile. (Then again, CT has a lot of odd laws...) You can't register it as a motorcycle anywhere, simply because it has four wheels. (Three-wheelers, like the T-Rex, fall under motorcycle regulations.)

Terry, you probably could disguise it in some sort of bodywork, but I think that takes something away from the spirit of the Atom. It's wonderful to see the driver, in F1 position, with his legs slightly elevated to meet the pedals, through the lack of bodywork. The ability to see the steering rack move (which is mounted on the inside of the cockpite) and to see the wheels hop up and down, along with the suspension bits, is one of the joys of the Ariel Atom.

348 Turbo, you have an excellent point. A 600cc bike is hardly a SuperBike. Especially when compared to a 2-liter, supercharged, 300 bhp contender. I would have like to have seen a bigger bike in the challenge. Still, the Atom is impressive against the Honda 600RR, which is not easy for any road car.

Finally, the clip I posted earlier in this thread was recently re-edited for the American market and broadcast on the Discovery Channel. Did anyone else see it?