Arizona When I Retire | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Arizona When I Retire

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by 285ferrari, May 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Ive got a private well at 450 ft deep with a 5000 gal storage for horses and septic tank. The only public utilities are electricity.. Private 250Gal propane tank for cooking.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Wow. Very nice. What is Big Island?

3. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #28 Pass, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Robbie - check out this website for stats/weather, etc. for basically any city in the US. Page down on this link to get to typical weather stats for the area. BTW - Cave Creek, Carefree, and where I'm at in NE Scottsdale now are about 1000-1200ft higher in elevation than Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa (ie 4-5 deg.F cooler and less heat-island effect due to lower density). Hope this helps.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Scottsdale-Arizona.html

As far as Prescott, data on this site seemed to show weather very similar to Portland, without the rain or clouds! I still wasn't quite up for being that far from a large Metro area. Otherwise, I'd probably be there, rather than here.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #30 285ferrari, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    I have been looking at alot of land and houses in your area--Just outside of Scottsdale, Pinnicle Peak, etc... Stuff close to the Tonto National Forest

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Fountain Hills area? Thoughts?

7. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very nice, just east of Scottsdale.

8. CAAZkid

CAAZkid Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    North Scottsdale
    it's nice, kind of remote though in certain areas

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How far would you say is the nearest Mall, shopping area, restaurants, etc?

10. CAAZkid

CAAZkid Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    North Scottsdale
    i think the closest mall would be scottsdale fashion square which would probably be a 20-30 minute drive (i think) but it's well worth it that mall is amazing!

theres small shopping centers with grocery stores/drug stores/essentials everywhere and restaurants are everywhere too, so i guess its not to bad but theres not really any close schools if that matters.

you can google map fountain hills and see the area some more, im not the best person to ask haha

11. darthenzo

darthenzo Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Glendale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    James
    I know I'll probably be laughed off the site, but at least look at north Phoenix and far north Peoria. I work in Scottsdale a lot and find most of the East valley to be very inconvenient. The West valley is under rated but on the way to becoming desireable. They do not have the over zelous city officials. Scottsdale is riddled with traffic cameras and bad roads.

12. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Robbie - I'll take some time to PM you to make some comments on the Pinnacle Peak area and East of there, plus Fountain Hills. Will try to do so later tonight.

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks--- or you can email me

14. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I would think(due to bad media reports) that anywhere south of Phoenix would be nogo, per Mexico problems. Is this true?

I lived in Tucson(born there) when a little kid(long time ago). Back then, AZ was a sleepy little place somewheres down 'near Mexico'.

Times change...

15. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    Used to own in Scottsdale and was fine. Lots of F-cars and others in that area.Prices have a ways to come down in my opinion.

I have direct access to the Arizona MLS so I keep an eye for more stuff. We just bought in Queen Creek and still looking for more buying opportunities. It will take a long time for Arizona to recover but oveall its a great area if your in it for the long haul. Hotter than hell in the summers but awesome at the beginning of winter thru the beginning of spring.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lol. Yes, just buy the government buildings. AZ is the only state in financial trouble as bad as we have in CA.

General comment: I have a friend who lives in Fountain Hills, and while it is out there a bit it's not stupidly far from Scottsdale (except maybe during rush hour).

Also, the car events in the PHX area are impressive -- FCA does a nice job there.

17. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Yep, were in a race to bankruptcy. The next step AZ will likely take is to reduce or stop revenue sharing with local municipalities. This will force the problem onto cities and counties who will cut services and possibly default on their muni bonds.

I'm just guessing its been a few years since you've been in Phoenix? :rolleyes:

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10817-N-Pinto-Dr-Fountain-Hills-AZ-85268/55261408_zpid/

This ad says 18 acre lot? How is this possible when the other houses are so close? Does it mean the total neighborhood is 18 acres? I have found alot of homes I may be interested in, but I am lost with the lot size? I have currently 3 acres and my neighbors are not very close at all. 18 acre lot, I should barely even see my neighbors house... What am I missing?

19. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good luck with the search Robbie! The only thing I can offer in regard to this thread is go as soon as you are vested to go. I absolutely could not be happier now compared to two months ago. Just don't wait until it is to late to enjoy your new chapter in life. :D

20. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We are vested after 5 yrs, so I could have gone long ago, but can't touch the money until 60 yrs old.

I have 15 yrs on and can go in 5 yrs for early retirement and get my retirement right then.. So, I am going to tough it out another 5 yrs.... My goal is to have my house payed off by that time also....

My 5 yr plan--Retire, sell the payed off house here and buy one in AZ with cash, retirement coming in, deferred comp waiting there when I need it, Stickynomore hopefully still making a few bucks and I think I should be able to enjoy myself once I retire... Only be 45....:D

That's what I hope anyway....

21. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #46 dozzina, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Likely a typo. Google maps is your friend. Top down shows the lots, & there are street views of the house. Upscale neighborhood, but home business is probably prohibited by CCR. Not an issue, unless you accidently piss off a neighbor.

Edit: This is located on a fairly busy street near the entrance to a large development. I'd pass for that reason alone.

22. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Just so you know the place I have for sale is within walking distance of Tonto National Forest and has a city license for a home based automotive restoration business.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, actually. Did the (Borrani) wheels come off?

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

So....... that's the sticky-no-more secret formula! :)

You'll like AZ. It has grown a bit more than I would like, but it's a great place, with great people. It's definitely the wild west, compared to DC.

25. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Don't think it's a typo---I have found about 20 just like that with 7-8 acres and they are sitting right beside each other,..