Armani or Zegna? Valentino or Versace? Brioni or Caraceni? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Armani or Zegna? Valentino or Versace? Brioni or Caraceni?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cavallini, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I revive this dormant-for-3-months thread, and then noone answers my question!

:(

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Wow, this came out of nowhere! Thanks for the advice guys :)

Also, enzoz, you have nice tastes but $$$

Wow.

3. sboney

sboney Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Jeez, lighten up! Go with black. I inherited a vintage black cashmere overcoat a few years ago and do not think I have worn the tan one since. Can be used over more casual stuff like open collars or over a tux and of course for everyday suits.

Can't help on brand as I have not bought one recently.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

Used to be good friends with Ed mitchell - he used to hook me up with Ranger tickets back in the day. I played baseball with his son.

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm in two minds about whether to go tan or black (I should get both! :)).

The tan offers a traditional "British" look and contrasts nicely with the right suit.

On the other hand, as you said, the black is very versatile; however, I don't know if it would be perceived as being "too heavy" for this climate.

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Black would be my choice.

7. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    This thread reminded me of a great little book, The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy & Vice. If you do not own it, I would reccommend picking a copy up ASAP! It covers everything from Appearance(with subsections names ranging from "Business Attire" to "Umbrella Policy") to Trouble, a chapter devoted to how to deal with problems such as the age old question "how many people have you slept with?" Great little read!

-ag

8. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    That forum that was linked is really cool. Turns out they have a nice shirt place in HK that does them for around 40 shipped - completely custom. Always nice to find things like this for future consideration.

I would just like to know how every got their base wardrobe/learned to dress nice etc. I guess this is more aimed at younger people but I'm not sure. I know I will eventually need suits and the like but now I want to look good in the high school/college atmosphere - so definitely more casual. But also some of the stuff people talk about wearing is so expensive or hard to find (at least where I am). I will be moving to a bigger area next year but as of now I am limited to inexpensive and online, which hurts I suppose.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Get both. I think I paid $300 for a black cashmere custom overcoat in Seoul, I'm guessing that you may be able to find something comparable locally.

On brands, it doesn't matter who makes it, so long as it fits.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I had my last suit custom made. The fabric alone (50% cashmire) was around $1500 before tailoring (from a run of 40 bats of that weave/design from a custom tailoring mill in England.) The buttons are solid brass with enamled crests, and a slik liner.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sounds awesome! Fabric is so ridiculous. A slight increase in quality causes such a jump in price. Super 120s will be $X and Super 160s will be $2X or $3X or more. I was in the Brioni store in Rome where they had Super 210s with a pinstripe of pure gold thread!!! haha, I didn't ask the price.

The "working buttonhole" fashion is SO rampant right now. It's actually pretty funny to look at ads these days, because the models will always be positioned in such a way that their arm is turned so you can see their cuff. I laugh so hard at the Bergdorf Goodman catalogue, because it's always the case. I've even seen an ad where this guy had the the coat slung over his shoulder, of course with the sleeve prominently turned so you could see his "undone" fashion.

That said, I always "carelessly" leave one open :)

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Its not that pricy, if you know where to look. See this thread.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7930

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I've just emailed the guy. Seems too good to be true... I'd rather not pay thousands if it's not necessary....

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Indeed. This is what buttons should look like.....

15. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, and also CLASSIC fashions virtually NEVER go out of style. Yes, it is good to have perhaps one or two pieces that are avantgarde for flavor, yet the mainstay in my closet are classics.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm young but have been through plenty of 'affordable' suits already. I'm an outlet shopper... try Saks Off 5th. You can get a nice Hugo Boss for $400. Also, try and catch stuff end-of-season. I've seen G.Armani's for $400-600 on clearance. My first *nice* suit was a slick 3-button Emporio Armani (had a flap covering buttons) I got at an Armani warehouse sale, $255 marked down from $899!

Truth be told, my best suits have been a Tommy Hilfiger black/violet pinstripe 4-button, and a Chaps RL navy 3-button in a waffle-weave wool that looks like that pic on the 1st page. They were originally $400 each, but bought at an after Christmas 2-for-1 sale at a local suit store (= only $200 each!). They lasted over 2 years being worn several times a week. The waffle wool on the Chaps suit (don't know official name of the knit) NEVER wrinkled. Seriously, suit jacket 2-3 days in the trunk, pull it out, shake it off and no wrinkles.

As for the OP, I love Zegna. Have gotten their mailed catalogue for years, even though I only have one tie so far.

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Zegna has two lines of fabric, not to mention whatever else you can have them order. I have yet to have a suit made from them (local shop is Wilkes & Bashford), but they seem to have nice stuff.

Loro Piana stuff looks great, but alas, I have no reason to wear any of it.

--Dan

19. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Well seeing as how all of my schools in the northeast rejected me, I will most likely end up down south, either at Tulane or University of Miami.

I am waitlisted at Rice and Duke but I doubt I will go to either of those even if accepted (maybe Duke). Either way they both have pretty warm climates (in comparison to Ohio where I am now).

20. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Duke and Rice are pretty damn good schools!

If you end you end up going to Rice, make the trek up to Dallas sometime and I will set you up with my people at Sax. There is also an Off Fifth outlet fairly close to Dallas(I have been told, have yet to actually look it up/head out there).The Sax mens dept. has given me some great deals before(stashed a $1200 Hugo Boss suit in the back for me until its price dropped twice in the next six weeks. Got it for >$400. They knew I didn't need another suit, but I liked it.)

-ag