As if Silly season couldn't get any sillier...KIMI TO SAUBER!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

As if Silly season couldn't get any sillier...KIMI TO SAUBER!!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    At the very least if they lose the championship this way I hope it would go to Verstappen then (most realistic outside candidate).

New Honda spec C engine coming in USA will be more powerful than Renaults latest....

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I can’t wait for you the movie. Wow what a season.

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    The soap opera?....yes.
    The racing ? Not so much.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    ^^That one's gonna leave a mark.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I feel that with Leclerc at Ferrari, Gasly at Red Bull (who is much better than most people understand and will give Max a hard run for his money), with major talent Lando Norris arriving at McLaren, with Ricciardo at Renault, ooooh yes it will be a very interesting season with LOTS of great battles!

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Nothing silly about this move. It’s probably the least silly move of the season so far. And well past it’s due date.

Thanks Kimi. Enjoy the next year on the global fair well tour! :)

8. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think it's a pretty perfect scenario: If Leclerc makes it, he will not only be a serious contender for the 2020 WDC, but also a (hopefully healthy) wakeup call for Seb in 2019. If he cracks under the pressur, Ferrari can easily swap Kimi back and give Leclerc another learning year at Sauber, as they did with Massa years ago.

9. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Perfect compromise, IMO. We get to keep cheering for Kimi in 2019 and 2020, Sauber gets the benefit of Kimi improving the chassis (I really think the improvements in performance will be great), and Ferrari get to give their perceived "star" a shot in the hot seat.

My only concern is that Kimi won't be given the "green light" to challenge Vettel for the remainder of 2018, as he will still be on the Scuderia's payroll for the next 2 seasons. I hope I am wrong...

10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #35 Flavio_C, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    He doesn't live in Zürich, he lives in Baar, around 50 minutes from Hinwill:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Baar,+Switzerland/Sauber+Motorsport+AG,+Wildbachstrasse+9,+8340+Hinwil,+Switzerland/@47.3016566,8.4854739,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x479aabcb0e9d900f:0x511bff3b21a6fa5a!2m2!1d8.526087!2d47.1953729!1m5!1m1!1s0x479ab97fb09872bb:0x1d5fcc95843291cf!2m2!1d8.816949!2d47.308125!3e0

Ericsson is a dead weight, he is taking a much valuable seat that could be filled with someone with real talent.

daytona355 and prober34 like this.
  11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Remember what Kimi did with Lotus! Imagine if Sauber comes up with a decent chassis next year?

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    I hope he beats Vettel the same way Hamilton beat Alonso in 2007. Its time for new blood in F1.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Given Kimi's dalliances in NASCAR and WRC, I would have thought he'd be better
    served in WEC racing for A.F. Corse and that door must certainly be open.

Imagine the press he'd get if/when he does Le Mans!

BHW

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Oof. He should have just retired. Top of the grid to the bottom isn't a great move.

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    we need someone who can beat Hamilton.

It's not Vettel.

Glad Kimi still has a place at Sauber and will help with development. Seems he's still in the Ferrari family, but he has had a long run in the Ferrari and it is time to move on to new blood.

Interesting to note that by the end of his Sauber deal he will be the most experienced F1 driver to ever live.

Bas likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Let’s see, retire at 39 and sit on the couch or make umpteen more millions traveling the world and driving and f1 car for a couple more years.

Doesn’t seem like a difficult choice to me.

stavura, BMW.SauberF1Team and Bas like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Last bit is certainly an interesting fact. I'm happy we get to see him drive a little more. Will buy some Sauber 2019 shirts when they're available soon. Haven't bought any team gear in a few years!

If Leclerc proves to be better than Vettel Ferrari may have a problem: Vettel is obviously superb at developing a car, leading a team...but if he gets beaten he will not stay (and I believe that'll be the end of his F1 career, unless he joins Mercedes). The positive on this is that Leclerc figured out the Sauber in short time so he communicates with his mechanics well, but development strength only comes with experience.

I'm a big fan of Leclerc, I'm also critical of his mistakes. I really hope Vettel will clinch Ferrari's first title, and soon. On the other hand, so long as Ferrari gets a title and dethrones Lewis all is good. Happy to see Kimi again at a team with little corporate obligations (like back in his Lotus days), he excels in such environments. First time at Sauber, Lotus...he just shines when he can do as he likes.

NEP likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Got divorced a few years ago, that I'm sure never helped his finances much. 2 more years in F1, I'm sure he still gets paid a decent chunk so over those 2 years will probably clear over 10m+. Still driving the fastests cars on the planet, and the midfield, though not competing for wins or likely even podiums, is a very exciting place to be.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari should get Ocon and put him in a sauber or haas, he is one of the top guys of the new generation, easily as good as max and Charles....

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Do you always ignore facts or only to condemn Vettel...? Perhaps you recently started watching F1. Vettel won the championship in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Elton raced those seasons as well. He can and has beaten Elton. He is certainly making mistakes however has just received a reality check by the Scuderia by signing LeClerc. This should very much sobering to Vettel. In addition the Scuderia aren’t in whole doing their best. Yes the car is fantastic and undeniably great. Perhaps the fastest on the grid. The hit and miss strategies and the small strange things like the mechanic who was scratching the floor of the car on a jack need to stop know. Neither driver nor team alone can win a championship. They must ALL step up their game immediately.

daytona355 and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  21. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Then why bother moving him up just to play second fiddle? If they wanted him to be the future, why not let him take the safe, smart route and learn more in an easier car like Sauber or Haas, where the expectations aren't as high? Bringing him just to be a submissive 2nd seems awfully stupid when you have Kimi, literally the perfect wingman and friend of Vettel...

I do like that we'll get to see Kimi able to drive around as the #1 driver, with the support of the team, pushing him to do his best.

22. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I have not seen Kimi do the B driver role that Bottas does and I would love just one person to show me any time that Raikkonen has screwed his own race to make Vettel look good, thats what a good #2 driver does. Look at Monza where instead of covering and blocking Hamilton at the start, Raikkonen was off trying to win the race. If Bottas was in that position he would have held up the Ferrari's for Hamilton to shoot off into an easy lead and look like the GOAT. Even more so when Raikkonen isn't likely to win, does he even try? #2 drivers have been a thing since Senna had veto powers back in 1985 and the British media cried that he wouldn't accept Warwick because he wanted someone who would play the supporter role. Schumacher perfected the use of the #2 driver and Todt, Montezemolo and Ross Brawn knew the best way to guarantee a WDC was to make Barichello and Massa support Michael whatever they wanted to achieve.

Why is Raikkonen so very different?

subirg and JJ like this.
  23. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I predict a 10,000,000% increase in the frequency of Vettel's whines.

Flavio_C likes this.
  24. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    He's been the number 2 through team strategy and moving over when asked. Bottas is a bouncer in a car, physically blocking other racers which I despise.

In Monza Kimi was on pole, and Vettel tried to win the race in the first corner like an amateur, instead of waiting and using the strengths of the car to pass Kimi/Lewis later that lap or later in the race. I'm a Vettel and Kimi fan, and I place the blame on that performance 100% on Vettel.

curtisc63 and daytona355 like this.
  25. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I think you are very wrong :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Manuel_Fangio