As if Silly season couldn't get any sillier...KIMI TO SAUBER!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

As if Silly season couldn't get any sillier...KIMI TO SAUBER!!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Personally I see a lot of pluses with this move. Leclerc moving to Ferrari in 2019 might just be the swift kick to the goods to get Seb to start focusing on the rest of the season. Kimi going to Sauber will bring to them the input that only a veteran driver can bring. Leclerc will now get to be on the spotlight, it is his time to shine and show the world that he can handle the pressure.

crinoid likes this.
  2. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Flavio_C likes this.
  3. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kimi chopped Vettel in Monza because Kimi was racing Vettel for himself, not racing Hamilton for the team. The correct move for Ferrari and for a competent #2 driver would be for Kimi to drive straight, defending Hamilton rather than Vettel. Instead, Kimi behaved selfishly and screwed the race for both himself and Vettel.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and subirg like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Vettel put his car where it should not have been. That’s what screwed the race. Kimi did nothing wrong.

Bas, HORNETDRIVER, curtisc63 and 6 others like this.
  5. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Vettel himself has said that Kimi is allowed to win. Kimi was starting on pole, at a track he's obviously very quick at, so he was racing. Do you want a racer or a bouncer like Bottas?

Me? I'll take a racer any day of the week, and let the cards fall as they may. However that being said, I have no doubt that come lap 15, 30, 40, or 50, if they'd asked Kimi to move over for Vettel he would do it.

daytona355, Makuono, stavura and 3 others like this.
  6. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Kimi didn't chop Vettel, he towed Vettel. Starting first and second, the goal is to get both cars through the first lap in that order, not have the pole sitter slow down to allow Vettel through. That is just risking having Hamilton take the lead as he is towed to the first corner by Kimi. Once Vettel lost out to Hamilton, he should have waited for the right time to pass (DRS perhaps!!) He had the quicker car, plus the benefit of having Kimi control the pace if needed. Vettel tossed this one all by himself. Then, to prove their inability to outsmart Mercedes, Ferrari throws Kimi's chances out the door with poor strategy.

Bas likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Really? I see LEC as no better than third in the WDC. Probably more like fourth or even fifth now that VER will get his way at RBR.

Ryan... and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah I think 4th place will be where he ends up. No better than 3rd, but that's about the same as Kimi this year. I really would have preferred Kimi going out on top with Ferrari as his last ride, but this is the next closest. Maybe the last race of 2020 Kimi will race in the Ferrari like some athletes sign a 1 game contract to end their careers with the team they were most fond of. ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm really curious about what is expected of him.....or required of him by contract....for the rest of this year's races.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

At this point of season - complete and total support to Vettel one would think.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, but he's probably thinking, "Mwoah........why should I?"

mcimino, Ryan... and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I hope to see some “no-fix-given” type racing from Kimi hereonin!!!

mcimino and Jack-the-lad like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    His salary will be paid by Fiat next year, so I suppose that the deal includes loyalty to Ferrari for the rest of the season.

As it should be anyway, even if he was going to retire.

jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  14. DF1

This. His days of getting a win would be over to me. He's leaving and the focus is to fight back against Mercedes and against the ridiculous errors on Ferrari and Vettel's part.

daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Congrats to Kimi o_O

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    They'll probably muff a pit stop to keep him behind VET if they need to......or maybe their standard race strategy would be enough.:rolleyes:

mcimino, 375+, WPOZZZ and 3 others like this.
  17. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I
    I disagree. They haven't shown much loyalty to him, sacrificing his races for Vettel and then, when he is performing at the best level he has, replacing him. I hope he races for himself and wins and F Vettel's championship hopes (which really aren't much anyway unless Hamilton bins it in a race).

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. DF1

Kimi - They employed and paid him. Thats loyalty in F1.

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The only loyalty that a team owes to a driver is paying his salary: he's an employee and has to what he has to do.

But anyway, Raikkonen has already wasted his chances of winning the championship being outpaced, outqualified and outscored by his team mate for most of the season, so playing the support role is mandatory.

DF1 likes this.
  20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Guys, Kimi isn't stupid. He full well knows the business and he's not in the business of screwing his friend out of a championship and help the opposition.

Ryan..., mcimino and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  22. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Jeronimo GTO, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  24. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It may be just me, but do folks notice that Kimi is smiling a lot more lately? I wonder if getting away from Ferrari and being able to concentrate on just driving and developing a car -- as well as the recognition that he is coming to the end of his time in F1 - haven't made him enjoy things a little more.

Phil~ and Bas like this.
  25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    He seems a lot more upbeat. I guess he really just wants to be around fast things and traverse the world w the F1 circus.

Bas likes this.