355 - As of now only looking to upgrade muffler...but which? | FerrariChat

355 As of now only looking to upgrade muffler...but which?

Discussion in '348/355' started by JohnnyTT, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello all,

First off, yes, I've read about every exhaust thread there is, and have not found the answer for muffler alone upgrade.
    I'm looking to just upgrade the muffler on my 99 GTS. Nothing else yet. I want it to be chill and quieter when cruising, yet a f?%$ING demon when on the throttle.

So I'm mainly asking about the Capristo stage 1 vs the Tubi Evolution.

The Tubi is $2k cheaper. If I can save it, great. If not worth it....I can deal.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks,

John

2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    f?%$ING demon=Capristo

Shorn355 likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Many can't tell the difference between a Cap 1, 2, 3, but if you're gonna get a Capristo, 2 is the one to go with. It is the loudest of the 3 when cruising, but it won't be loud at all assuming you have the bypass functioning as stock.

I bought a Capristo 3 brand new a decade ago when most were on the fence due to high cost. It is worth the price of admission and if you did in fact read every 355 exhaust thread there is, then I'm sure you've seen me in most of them. I sold my Capristo 3 with 500 miles to get a Capristo 2, but I can't tell the difference.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ken, you forgot to mention your Larini muffler. I think it looks to be very well made, of you can comment on it better than I can since you own one. :) Capristo might be a nice muffler, but I think they are too expensive and the difference aren’t that significant. I would go with a Tubi or Larini.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I didn't mention the Larini muffler because I actually think the Capristo fits his description perfectly. It'll probably be another month or so before my car is back on the road with the Larini muffler, so I have no idea how it sounds :). Not to mention who knows how long it takes to get a Larini muffler these days.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @jimmym

I've been wanting to update my review on the X-OST muffler. X-OST is no longer, but supposedly, they are former Tubi employees. Probably moot at this point unless you can land a used one, but I figured I'd do another review since I've been able to spend more time with it. It's not like a standard Tubi muffler at all, which was my initial impression. Driving in North Carolina, I was surrounded by nothing but trees. In California, we have more cement/walls, so it reverberates differently.

95 car, OE headers, OE Y-pipe, straight pipes, X-OST muffler, OE bypass functioning as normal. Low speed driving/cruising, it actually sounds pretty nice. Not loud at all, but has a nice modest F1 howl to it. Imo, nicer than a Capristo when bypass closed for cruising. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. When you get on it, you really have to get on it to extract more F1 howl. Nice clean F1 pitch, but volume is currently too low for my liking. It has potential, but you need an open Y-pipe and possibly a bypass controller to get some meaningful volume. Might be the muffler for you :).

jimmym and Kokose7en like this.
  7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If I was going to upgrade my older style Tubi, I would go with the Evolution or Larini. I was waiting to see what TwinTurboforcefed thought of his Evolution, that is if he received it and had it installed. Last time I messaged him he was still waiting on it, but that was awhile ago.

X-ost used to be mentioned when I first started coming on here back in 2006-08. I believe they even made headers. The muffler sounded nice if I remember correctly.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Did you install your gutted Y-pipe yet? I gotta show you some weird stuff going on with my OE Y-pipe when I get the chance. The divider is bent out of shape on my Rosso car.

@ttforcefed @Suffyk both seem to LOVE their Tubi Evos on their 95’s. TTForce definitely has the full system on with Bradan Y-pipe.

If readers are curious what I mean by modest F1 howl, this vid is a good example. Not sure what muffler is on this 355, but the X-OST muffler sounds very similar. Perhaps even 20-25% more volume/pitch on the X-OST. Sounds more like a mechanical engine note than a muffler. Gotta really get on it though.

Capristo has a much higher volume piercing F1 scream, which is totally different. You can certainly go gutted Y-pipe with X-OST and volume should still be tame, but I have yet to try it.

9. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    I am running all stock except muffler. Capristo 3. Screams F1 at higher rpm…..but slightly deeper sound than oem at idle and cruising, but not louder. At idle and cruise you cannot see the difference when the valve is closed. At high 7000 rpm you will hear backfire when shifting in manual.

10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ken, I haven’t installed my Y pipe or Tubi test pipes as I have focusing more on finishing my Pantera. I forgot what it was like to have 95-98 percent of the car and tweaking the last few percent.

What I like about the Evolution and the Larini is the separate exhaust paths like the Capristo design.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Check out Kreissieg Exhaust.

12. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll look into some of the other recommendations.

Does anybody have or heard the Tubi Evolution? If I can save 2k and put thay money elsewhere in the car, great. But if not worth it, just want to be clear.

Thanks all.

13. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the reply. So you're saying it's not louder at cruising.... Just deeper? Because that is key.

14. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, but at that price, I'd rather just go with the crowd favorite of Capristo.

15. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I have a Capristo 3. Also with headers, test pipes and spiral bypass. With the bypass valve operating as normal and closed, I can still whisper to my passenger even with the windows down and at highway speeds. Not kidding.

I also have bypass valve controller, which I can activate the valve to be always open. With the valve always open, it is VERY loud throughout its entire RPM range and I mean from idle to fuel cut. All of the loudness of the Capristo is though the bypass valve.

If you want “cruising” sounding exhaust, just make sure the bypass valve is operating correctly and not stuck open.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My buddy just received his spiral pipe thanks to you. Will be curious the sound it makes. He’s paired up with Fabspeed headers though.

Kokose7en likes this.
  17. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Very helpful. Thanks

18. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    I've been through stock exhaust, generic sports muffler and now Capristo.
    Capristo wins hands down by a country mile in terms of pitch of the sound.

Noise level, all Capristo are the same with the valve open. Its valve closed that they differ.
    I have a L2 which is noisy at idle but OK driving. If I had my time again, I'd opt for a 1 as it sounds stock at idle.

19. Ahchard

Ahchard Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Lau
    After a cruise last weekend in my 355, i was talking really loud and my ears were ringing... How is it possible to drive with capristo mufflers if they are louder than stock? Or maybe mine isnt stock?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Julia likes this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

What is the supposed difference claimed by Capristo if all 3 versions are the same when valve is open?

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Pic?

22. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 JohnnyTT, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    So I called capristo to get this answer. Since everybody says something different.

Thier answer... They are all the same exhaust, 1 has packing inside to make it quieter, 2 has less packing, 3 is empty.

23. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    So nobody has a tubi evolution?!?!?!

o_O

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Capristo USA (Taurino Racing) used to only stock a Capristo 3 (sound 1/3) in USA inventory, so most bought that version assuming it was the best version. Capristo USA pushed the Cap 3 because they felt it was the best version simply because it was super quiet when you needed it to be, but F1 scream once open.

Cap 2 (sound 2/3) is special ordered. Cap 2 is supposedly designed to be a louder system than the Cap 3 when bypassed closed, but even so, it is still too quiet hence my comment regarding barely being able to tell the difference. In short, if there is a difference, it is not a meaningful difference.

I had a Cap 3. Anyone else who has a Cap 3 will tell you a Cap 3 is super quiet when bypass closed, which supports the idea the description on Capristo USA’s website is wrong and probably what they tell you over the phone is wrong as well. I don’t sense they are 355 enthusiasts to know the car/exhausts as intimately as the owners do.

Erik no longer works at Capristo USA. I spoke to him on a few occasions. He was there since the start. He was probably the one placing stocking orders for the system, so he knows what he’s talking about. These new cats are just sales people reiterating their website description.

Either way, both a Cap 2 or 3 fits your needs. Whatever design difference there is supposed to be, you are choosing between quiet and super quiet. 18 dba vs 10 dba according to their site.