ASA 1000 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ASA 1000

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by QKracha, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #26 AlfettaGTV, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi!
    A friend here in Spain had a pretty Spyder under restoration.
    It featured an article at Motor Clasico magazine #261 - October 2009, before restoration works got started.
    It has a rare 1092cc engine (unique Spyder with this engine), and chassis is 11026.
    Sources usually talk about less than a dozen of Spyders built, others said even less.

It's a nice tiny car with great proportions.

Car is for sale too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bellabarbas

bellabarbas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2008
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Corrado
    A friend in Italy told me that he knows two for sale !!!

3. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    #28 tomberlin, Feb 28, 2012
  4. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I owned this car , I think in 1993, paid $50.000 for it, the miles were dead original , it's in Automobile Quartley. Prior owner, Edsel Pfabe, an old Ferrari guy, now 93 !! He is still in Florida. I drove it home to Palm Beach, blew 3 tires at one time. Couldn't tell they were the original ones, they looked brand new. Sold in to Dean Becker who did it into Berney Chase on a cut 275 GTB, if I remember the arguement why it was not a Ferrari ( can't remember if it was the cut 275 or the ASA!) . Edsel thought it was half a GTO , but he never had either half . It was a fun little car, frail and much like a fiat. Just saw the Leman's car this week, looks like the breadvan ( but half a loaf ).

5. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #30 3500 GT, Mar 2, 2012
    Looks like a Maserati 3500 GT, a Ferrari 250 PF?, Aston Martin DB5? And possible Maserati Vignale Spyder with hardtop?. That's all I can do!

6. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #31 Onebugatti, Mar 2, 2012
    This is the ASA GTC. Giotto Bizzarrini did this interesting project for Le Mans and it was in 1963 Le Mans. Unfortunately during the practice, broken the engine and did not race but there are many photos of the car during the practice. It looks like a small GTO '64, aluminum body, one off, tube frame, 1000 cc, street legal, etc. The black and white picture is the first body version of the car but after the test they changed the tail because of big trouble at high speed. Historically, it's an important car I would imagine, and valued at about 300,000 Bling . The actual version today is the Le Mans design and the last one ( after corrections). There is a book on these ASA 's. Enjoy.

***Bling is a number value used in an in any of the 4 currencies ( dollars, Swiss Francs, Euro or Sterling) without making your mind up how much you really want for your car when talking to people who likely don’t have the money for it anyway. There is no conversion on Bling, it is an indecisive currency term. This is the new way of quoting the price of your car, without really making up your mind on the spot , or a pause for reflection in the collapsing world currency market without the need to re-adjust the price. You just select the currency you feel best with at the time of the sale, depending on your own needs and how many brokers in the food chain.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #32 PSk, Mar 2, 2012
    Okay I dispute the comment regarding that this car was a test bed for the 250GTO. What year were these ASA's produced? [EDIT: I can answer that, model presented in 1962 and produced 1964 to 1969, thus AFTER the 250 GTO was designed as that was in 1961. Comment proved false ... more likely the ASA 1000's suspension copied his GTO work, which was not really his work as it's the aero and chassis balance that he did for Ferrari]. According to what I have found Enzo commissioned this car to take on the smaller car market which was dominated by Alfa Romeo, but then sold the design to ASA. Nothing to do with the GTO other than they shared engineers (Columbo and Bizzarrini).

It makes no sense at all. We need to remember the improvements the GTO bought to Ferraris game was aerodynamics and chassis balance by moving the engine back. The suspension was the same as a SWB except for the addition of a watts linkage for improved sideways location of the rear axle). Ferrari had prototypes for the GTO, one is owned by somebody on this site (2643GT) and also they had plenty of capacity to build whatever they want with all the necessary mechanicals, ie. 0523 GT (250GT Boano) was used as a test bed (http://www.finesportscars.com/bizzarrini_cars/250gto_prototype_info.html), this work started in 1960.

Nothing I've mentioned above could even remotely be effectively tested on a car as different as a ASA 1000, surely.
    Pete

Here is 0523 GT in GTO prototype form [Image from the link above]:

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #33 Jeff Kennedy, Mar 2, 2012
    From what I am finding on the ASA 1000 GT timeline the engineering by Giotto Bizzarrini was during 1961. The car was first shown at the Turin Show in October of that year badged as a Mille. It was the following year's Turin that it was shown as the ASA. This would make its engineering development coincide with the general timing for the 250 GTO. Apparently the ASA does have Watts linkage as part of its original design.

Got something interesting from the ASA Club in Italy. The engines were built by Ferrari and supplied completed to ASA.

Jeff