ash tray lid locking mechanism | FerrariChat

ash tray lid locking mechanism

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by franschman, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The ash tray lid in my 456 was open, stayed open and stared at me. Inspired by Ratarossa's suggestion of using a trash can lid I sourced the relevant part which I found here: https://www.brabantia.com/uk/catch-for-lid-unit-black/
    For GBP 3,15 you will receive a catch and extraction tool. It's a straight swap, 5 minutes work. The tool is no use but the catch can be pried out with a small screw driver and the new catch clicked in.

Qavion likes this.
  2. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    This is great !! Looks like an easy solution for a common problem. I have ordered the part but looking into the space under the ash tray I see the catch but nothing it engages with - can you clarify - Thanks

3. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The lip that engages with the catch is part of the lid, you can't see it when the lid is open. But rest assured it's still there.
    The catch can be pried out with a small flat screwdriver on both sides once a few millimetres out, you can pull it out with long thin pliers.

4. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    Thanks - I don't see anything on the lid - is it on the underside? Appreciate your advice and will follow when I receive the part

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Please post some pics of how this can work, my customers have this issue often, but not sure how the piece you posted can work on a 456 lid.