Asking rich people for advice | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Asking rich people for advice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Martynas Zaleckis, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    unfortunately, that would mean losing his suspension somewhere back there, because he said where he lives the roads are very poor...

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    All for cash, but I’ll add to this discussion that sometimes a person can be too conservative in the pursuit of their automotive dreams. I’m my instance, I simply waited too long to pull the trigger. I built up my businesses, built up my resources; and waited until I was 45 to get my first. In retrospect, I waited 15 years too long. As much as I love ownership, and for as much passion and pleasure it brings me, I frequently kick myself for not simply getting a loan and getting in the game much sooner. YMMV.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s always easy to second guess yourself when you have done things the right way by being patient and saving the money. Why? Because things worked out well because of your patientce.

Had you been more. aggressive in your pursuit of a car, things could have easily gone south. You just don’t know.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agreed. Too short, take a chance.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    There's a balance between sensible planning for the future and living life like there is no tomorrow.

Just recently found out about a loved one that has likely terminal cancer. This person says "no regrets" about delaying a career for 10yrs to backpack all over the planet during his youth, but he did eventually have to settle down and work his ass off to save for retirement.

Not to add a morbid tone to this thread. I think you should live life in your 20s, but does it have to be a 458? There are plenty of other fun cars at lower price levels (with cheaper suspension parts) that can be had sooner with less on the table. Also, "learn to walk before you run". I never even thought about a ferrari in my 20s, financing or otherwise. It would have just been too crippling.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Tons of truth in that statement. Seldom do we spend much time considering the counter factual. Certainly there’s a proper balance between overly conservative and not nearly conservative enough. Again, were I giving advice to my 30 year old self, I’d say let it rip...put $50,000 down and borrow the rest. After all, obligation creates ambition.

alibo70 and SoCal to az like this.
  7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    So true it would be stupid. I thought about doing the same stupid thing about your age. I’m glad I did not. Waited about 35 years later when kids are out of college and it was easily within my budget.

As far as rule if thumb how much to have saved before making the purchase? Everyone will have a different opinion on that for sure. I am comfortable making the toy purchases if they are less than 10% of marketable liquid assets. All toys together have to stay below 10% of net worth.

That’s my rule.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That’s a good rule and frankly 10% would be a bit high for me.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    My first comment was sarcasm.
    However, the “buy all cash”, I never understood...you’ll be waiting a long time and missing out on a ton of precious moments.
    I agree, be ambitious with your purchase. I bought with risk and for me it paid off.
    If I followed the 10% rule, I’m screwed :)

Sent from my 16M

Viper830tt and alibo70 like this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Truth.

Good rule that I follow. Getting a boat would blow right through that 10% lol.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow.

60 posts is a lot for this often-seen question.

I should also point out that anyone who is 23 years old and is still living with his or her parents is not headed in a Ferrari-ownership direction.

Matt

KC360 FL likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    10% of net worth for a car? For me, 5%.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ++1. I looked at his post again.

For me, all toys less than 10% of Liquid Assets.

10% of Net Worth is too high for me, 5% would be my limit.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary

15. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No one needs a Ferrari. I don't even insure mine. If I lose it I'll be just fine.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  16. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Crazy to buy a Ferrari unless you have the means to finance it. You are young, like your ambition, work hard, earn loads of cash, support your own life and lifestyle then go for it.

You may regret in later life burdening yourself with debt for a deprecating asset so young.

Just my advice.

All the best with your future.

17. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    my rule was I had to pay cash +$20k liquidity "just in case". I think it's different rule for everyone.

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    OP. At 23 my fiancé and I moved out of our parents house with a handful of cash we saved while living at home (apartments are for people who like to throw away money), and bought a house. She worked and finished her degrees, while I worked up the ranks at the FD, and started a side business. I bought my Ferrari at age 34. So it took 10 years for me to get where I needed to be to achieve the goal. My point being, you need to walk before you can run. Work hard, have a general outline on how to create a stable life and earn extra $ and grind away. That's how everyone on here got to where they are...working hard and being smart with money. You'll get there, just be patient and play your cards right.

Thecadster and SoCal to az like this.
  19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    My dad used to say the best two days of your life are the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it! LOL.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    No, 10% for all toys. Cars, boats, planes, vacation homes etc...

And I agree it is a little high.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    So if one is worth $5 mil, then you have only $500k for second homes, cars, etc? Seems tight

Sent from my 16M

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I wouldn’t put a house in that - house would be considered and investment. A car? Depreciating asset.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd argue that the richer you are, the higher the percentage you can allocate to frivolous things. Because the rest if for serious things, and even increasing the standard of living these needs are somewhat limited.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I restricted my car (s)to 5 %. Property should be an investment and does not count.

25. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The opposite would be true. If you are worth $1B, and have a higher % e.g. 20, that would be $200MM on frivolous things. One that has a $500MM net worth and spends 10% would be spending $50MM on frivolous things. However, Both individuals could comfortably spend $200MM. As such, when one gets richer, the lower the percentage of wealth is spent on all things in actuality.

SoCal to az likes this.