Aspirational McLaren Owner | FerrariChat

Aspirational McLaren Owner

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Zenyatta, Dec 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zenyatta

Zenyatta Rookie

Dec 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Smith
  2. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I am 'almost' as ignorant as you. About 9 months ago I was hunting for a 570GT. Unfortunately it is hard to get info about the multiple models and their differences. My 570 has a 3.8L engine, but minus about 50hp. I "pretty much" figured out that these cars are NOT maintenance nightmares, but I did get a one year factory warranty wrapped into my deal from a dealer. FWIW, I hate black cars, but if it ends up anywhere near this price, it looks pretty good.

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    McLarens are generally reliable. The 12C/650 have a few things that can be troublesome. Electronic warnings that mean nothing. A few cars had leaky gearboxes. The headlights/tail lights can have fogging/failures. The LED HVAC controls can fail. The IRIS systems are crap. At this age, most of the cars have had these issues addressed. The only big service issue with these cars are the accumulators for the hydraulic, cross linked suspension.

4. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Ingenere,
    Your notes continue to be among the most informative that I have found on any McLaren site. Thank you

5. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I suggest you initially go to UTube and check the Thorney Motorsportts Channel. John Thorn has serviced fixed and driven over 500 McLarens and is very informative and helpful. Then contact him direct, especially on the 650. Best of luck!