Assetto Fiorano (DSSV Dampers) Vs Adapative magnetic dampers and nose lift | FerrariChat

Assetto Fiorano (DSSV Dampers) Vs Adapative magnetic dampers and nose lift

Discussion in '296' started by dr.skp.ortho, Apr 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr.skp.ortho

dr.skp.ortho Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Hello all,

I'm going back and forth with whether to spec this or not as the car will predominantly see road duties. The lack of the lift worries me more than the stiffness.

Are most getting the AF pack or not? I'm open to eveyone's suggestions...

2. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Super curious about this too. I love the performance goodies, but...honestly...do NOT like the two tone stripes and accents etc.

Not in any color really. Kind of looks like clown makeup or something. Ugh.

Don't understand this - they did such a GREAT job on the Speciale and the Pista etc...with the stripes/accents.

cesman, jm2 and BigJay2050 like this.
  3. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    U almost read my mind; totally agree. Livery looks clownish. Of course no lift is a huge issue. The smallest speed bump or public parking garage will strip the bumpers off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    No lift was a deal breaker for me so I am not getting AF.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BigJay2050 likes this.
  5. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Lack of lift was the deal breaker for me.

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Livery doesn't need to be added. It can be removed.

Personally don't have an issue without front lift for my home/business. Resale perhaps maybe suffer some...I'm still on the fence. Leaning towards AF package though.

SECRET likes this.
  7. releod

releod Rookie

Feb 14, 2021
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Adam D
    Finalizing my spec this week, also going back and forth between AF and non-AF. Lift being the primary reason, as I am fine with suspension stiffness and expect some road-circuit kms as well.

I think ride height is probably fine without lift in most areas, and can be navigated carefully with angled approach... but it would be nice. I had lift on my GT3 RS which had very stiff suspension.

8. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have the AF on my SF90. That car is amazing In this spec. I would add the ride is firm. I will not get the AF for my 296 and I think the “stripe” is just terrible. Go for the standard spec - makes for a much more usable car. And better looking too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SECRET, IvanRico and releod like this.
  9. NoEaredMacaque

Mar 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    AW
    The AF livery is an at-cost option. You do not need to choose it. I think the AF front side carbon design makes the car look much better than the standard version so I will most likely get it on both the GTB and GTS.

10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Very easy decision for me, I must have the lift to get up my driveway so no AF package for me.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Where I live, my Land Rover is the only vehicle that has no problem with the roads. It really amazes me when people say that they can drive around in a Ferrari without scraping...

12. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This was my dilemma as well. I ended up with no AF for this reason. I agree with all here, the livery on the AF is just god awful. Even if I ordered the AF pack, I would've passed on the livery.

SECRET and BigJay2050 like this.
  13. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    livery is optional- so (like 23k USD optional).

the AF is more of an appearance pack honestly. the effect of unsprung mass savings with the CF wheels on performance is far superior and cost effective imo.

the AF pack should really include the CF wheels, shocks, and aero only. they should sell the other stuff as part of an appearance pack.

008, LVP488, DQSF and 1 other person like this.
  14. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is the 296 more prone to scrape compare to a 458/ Speciale or a F12? Personally I never felt the need for a lift on my Ferraris, even situated on a very steep driveway they did fine, on the flip side of the coin my GT3 has hard time clearing even with a lift.

spyderman and releod like this.
  15. releod

releod Rookie

Feb 14, 2021
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Adam D
    For example, the GT3 (RS) has lower ground clearance than the F8. I used FAL on the 3RS more than I needed, and if I entered the drive way on the steep side.

16. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Unless 296 approach angle has decreased compare to a F8 one can manage without FAL. As for Fiorano package, I'm not convinced price justifies the gain, heck there isn't even a detailed list of what Carbon bits n peaces are included with Fiorano pack.

SVR and DQSF like this.
  17. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    I drove an AF and a standard car at the factory last week, the AF dampers are sooo nice if you want a more focused and precise drive and it still felt fairly comfy on the poor roads around Maranello. Remember a stiffer damper also means faster damping and less give in the steering so there is a transparency and immediacy to the steering and nose on the AF car that I found very desirable. Made my F8 helm feel vague and soft ! Shame you can't just spec those dampers, personally not interested in any of the other CF stuff which is all but pointless.

yz777, LVP488, tres55 and 2 others like this.
  18. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I was told the underside is also CF on the AF pack. As in the entire flat-paneled underside. And no lift.