Aston Martin DB9 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin DB9

Discussion in 'British' started by TigerAce, Apr 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Very good looking in & out. I really liked this car, but haven't driven yet.

Anyone own this car who can give me any advise?

One concern I have is the car's worth about $170 to 190,000 as new. Then I see DB7 from 98 & 99 selling for about $50 to $70K. Seems that's a big drop for exotic cars. Am I missing something?

I also found some '05 DB9 coupe already selling $150K to $140K as used. The salesperson advised me that this car is exclusive produced. Do you know how about how many of these cars are made in a year?

Thanks in advance for any lead or info.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive heard the Vanquish maintains its value much better than a 550/575

Also the DB7 was based on the ancient Jag XKS so it was old when it was new

The DB9 is a whole new car, Much nicer, & very beautiful

Now if you want resale value, get an old 60s muscle car :) LOL

3. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    I can't help at all with resale values but I can say that the DB9 is absolutely stunning in person. Beautiful car.

4. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Go find a vanquish, you'll have much more fun.

5. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Why is that? The Vanquish has the same output (unofficially), more weight, and a parts bin interior.

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have seen the car in person and have seen a few go by while i was bike riding..very nice looking car, but i wasnt blown away with it....the car to me is a super nice jag, or is the jag a poor mans aston martin...i do think these car will depreciate substantially as they are sporty luxury cars more than poor sports cars..i would wait a few years and pick one up for half price...if i am going to spend 170k on a sports car, i would have to go ferrari or lambo...

7. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Because it is called the Vanquish, and if you have an extra 100k you can pimp it out james bond style

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Make sure not to compare apples and oranges here ... the first DB7s were a supercharged inline 6. The V12 only came with the Vantage, although many dealers seem to call their normal DB7 as Vantage. The actual DB7 Vantage is more agressive and has fog lights, whereas the DB7 doesn't seem to.
    DB7 Vantages seem to be on sale around the 100k $ mark.

DB9 looks good, but definitely lacks aggressivity. I'd make sure to get the manual transmission too. A sequential shift automatic is sacrilege. The Vanquish's tranny is kinda hectic, but at least it's a manual with auto-clutch. And supposedly the DB9 isn't as composed as its bigger brother on canyon runs ...

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Tough call both the DB9 & Vanquish are awesome, I dont think you could go wrong w either. Prices on the DB9 are sure to tank though. A used Vanquish will be much kinder to your wallet.

AM is putting out a DB9 Volante (Conv in AM speak) that should be awesome

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thanks all to your posts.

I didn't know DB7 was basically Jag!

DB9 looks so cool yet shows class. I was shocked to see some '98 DB7 were selling for $60K.

Salesman told me DB9 is better value & fun car than Vanquish (12cylinder), but if possible I want to drive both to compare. Either way, I am going to AM dealer on promo day (like some celebraton) & wanted to be little educated beforehand.

Thank y'all.

William H,
    Why do you think prices on the DB9 are sure to tank?
    I'm also interested in DB9 Volante (Conv in AM speak). Where can I find any information?

11. resident

resident Rookie

Mar 16, 2005
    Here are three must-read articles about Aston Martin and Henrik Fisker. He was Aston Martin's director of design from 2001 until December of last year. Ian Callum, Jaguar's director of design (whose first Jaguar from start to finish will be the next XK) also worked on the DB9 and styled the Vanquish and DB7.

Henrik Fisker used to work for BMW where he styled the Z8. A link to his new car company is shown below.

http://www.fiskercb.com/

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_491.shtml

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_492.shtml

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_493.shtml

Aston Martin backs two DBR9s in racing. One of them won the (GT1 class) in the 12 Hours of Sebring. The last time an Aston Martin won the 12 Hours of Sebring was 1956.

here is a picture of a new DBR9

http://motorsport.com/photos/alms/2005/seb/alms-2005-seb-th-0557.jpg

The following is from autoexpress.co.uk

"There's been a shift in attitude at Aston Martin - the DB9 is to get an all-new manual gearbox. The move comes as a result of demand from traditionalist customers, who want this transmission instead of the sequential automatic with dash-mounted buttons.The conventional six-speed version will join the DB9 line-up towards the middle of next year, and is expected to cost around £3,000 less than the current model."

Here is a DB9 Volante

http://www.autoextremist.com/detroit2004/companies/AstonMartin/DB9.jpg

http://www.autoextremist.com/detroit2004/companies/AstonMartin/DB9side.jpg

http://www.autoextremist.com/detroit2004/companies/AstonMartin/DB9front.jpg

By the way, the next Jaguar XK will use the new XJ's aluminum chassis. It will have to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations. The 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the XJ flagship, weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.

12. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank you! Resident.
    I'll check these links tomorrow. Now I have somthing to look forward for lunch tomo.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The DB7 is based on a modified XJS floor pan and the block is a Jaguar 3.2 inline six block but thats where the likeness ends mechanically.

You can find a nice Vantage in the 80's two years ago, I seriously doubt they have appreciated 20,000 but could be wrong! I remember Byron was seriously considering one instead of a 456.

They are great GTs but very fickle or so I hear from my mechanic who's spent the last 40+ years living, breathing, and enjoying British cars.

Sunny

14. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Being that we are an Aston dealer, I would have to say the DB9 and the Vanquish are two different cars. I have driven both a lot and love the DB9. The power is very smooth and linear and the ride is complaint. The big V is a great car as well. If I had the cash out front, I woud most likely get the Vanquish, just on styling. The V is a lot stronger looking and that sells me. As far as issues, we have not had that many with the DB9 in comparsion to other cars that have come out at the same time. HTH

15. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What about the AMV8, have you taken a look there?

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just bcus its a new car & the prices will plummet once its no longer THE hot MUST have car. If you flip it within 1 year you might be safe,

I always buy used cars bcus I really am not a fan of depreciation

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Yoshi

I have one on thursday

19. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    In the Vanquish you look like a hero, in the DB9, you just look classy. If I was choosing between a Vanquish or a DB9, I would go for the DB9. I think the design of the DB9 is just much smoother than the Vanquish, but still muscular. And the interior of the DB9 just doesn't even compare to the interior of the Vanquish. That dash on the DB9, and all those shiny little switches. I also spoke to an owner who had one in my neighborhood, he says that he got the F1 transmission and that he never even uses it. He keeps it in auto mode all the time. In a Vanquish it's the paddles or nothing, whereas in the DB9 you do have the fully automatic option and the paddles. Lastly, the Vanquish has a reputation as having a bad paddle system because it's connected to a manual whereas in the DB9, it's connected to an automatic. Good luck and post pics once you get the beast!

20. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  21. Luchak

Luchak Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I personally LOVE the new AMV8. If I had the means to pick up a new Aston, that would be my choice.

22. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    #22 Supercarlover, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the distinguished priviledge of driving a DB9 today. Having driven a couple of Bentley Continental GT's and several SL55/SL65....I must say that this is by far the best car. The DB9's interior is, IMHO, better than the Bentley's, and the car looks far better than any new SL.

Here's a pic for all to enjoy....please ignore the young man with the silly/giddy grin on his face. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    Yoshi, I didn't realize you had started this thread. We have a DB9 on our pre-owned lot (its the one I drove..in the picture). I work at Park Place Mercedes/Porsche. The Porsche side has it. Feel free to stop by and take a look. If you like, you're welcome to come see me too. I'm a service valet on the Mercedes side. I'd be happy to give you a "grand tour". :) Good luck on your search.

24. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I test drove the DB9 a few weeks ago, and was very impressed. Although the transmission is a sequential automatic, it was very crisp, and way better than I expected. Because it is an automatic, launching from a stop is a breeze (something that can be puzzling in F1-style transmissions).

Impressions:

1) Interior is second to none, in any car. Outstanding design, fit & finish.
    2) Performance is very good, and more than acceptable for cars in its class. Very flat torque distribution, available at any rpm. Very solid acceleration, with crisp shifts delivered from the 6-spd sequential automatic transmission (paddle shifters).
    3) Exhaust at idle is very quiet, but when you accelerate hard, it has an awesome bark. Very nice.
    4) Brake feel is good, although I didn't really get a chance to push the car to truly test braking.
    5) Ride quality was very good, although on one very bumpy road, the suspension made a few muted thuds/clunks that probably are nothing to be concerned about, but more a slight audible nuisance.
    6) Rear license plate mount bracket needs to be tossed in the garbage. It interferes with the clean lines of the rear. European cars do not have this, just North American cars. Upon inspection, it appears that it can be removed and/or modified, if the owner wishes to do so.
    7) No manual transmission available yet, but it is supposedly coming later this year.
    8) Handling seemed quite good, but again, I wasn't pushing hard enough to truly gage the limits.
    9) Car felt quite nimble, considering it's size and the vehicle class.

Overall, pretty awesome car.

25. cdallen2004

cdallen2004 Karting
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2004
    Josh, I would love to have your job any day. You are sooo lucky. :)

Ah, well...back to dreaming....