Aston Martin F1 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I hope the Stroll's leave F1. That team has been run into the ground and as long as the team is forced to build around Lance, and is micro managed by Lawrence, it will never go up. Hulk, who I never saw as an amazing talent, shows up and right away is on the same pace as Stroll. Vettel and Nico should be the drivers. But then again, Stroll is still a big step ahead Yuki.

Flavio_C likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lawrence Stroll has done well financially with the team.

His pick for drivers is something else to include his son. Lawrence got rid of Ocon and Perez whom are better than his son..

Flavio_C likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There is an outside chance that Stroll could be removed from his position by the other investors if he doesn't deliver the goods as promised.

Look what happened at McLaren when Mansour Ojeh rallied the other shareholders around him to oust Ron Dennis.

4. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I certainly don't question Lawrence's ability to make money. But his track record with the team hasn't been a success.

2020 - buys the championship dominating 2019 Mercedes. Starts off as pretty much the second fastest car, and fails to go anywhere with it.
    2021 - Puts a huge financial investment to the team, buys all sorts of people, Aston Martin partnership. Get's a 4x world champ after Perez gets fired for his loser son. Some big positives. Yet the team build's a junker because it has no idea what to do with a car they never designed in the first place.
    2022 - Otmar is gone because of Lawrence. Huge loss, as he might be one of the best team bosses. The car now looks to be one of the worst.

375+ and Isobel like this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    When it comes to people with some sort of talent, Ocon, Perez, and Otmar I'll agree with you there.

The staff knows how to build a decent car BUT daddy Stroll comes in and "thinks" he can run the show with a xeroxed Mercedes.

I honestly don't know what 2022 looks like with regards to the car.

Flavio_C and SS454 like this.
  6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Ron Dennis was not Ojeh's son...

Believe me, the only reason why he bought Force India and is investing a ton of money in Aston Martin is because of his son.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What's funny is that people talk about Lawrence Stroll like the great businessman that he is, which by the size of his wealth is true, but in "real life" he is a very brute guy. He is very mannerless and it looks like as if he didn't even finish high school. The way he behaved with his ex-wife (Lance's mother) during a kart race I was in was that of a guy who have zero knowledge on how to treat women.

I posted this photo before on this forum:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

So a not so great human. And with money is just a not so great human with money. NO change. Then ego is added and he appears to have it all. Just cannot take his ego out of the F1 team long enough, to allow REAL professionals do the job. He will never succeed if he does not change his approach. Hoping for zero success for this .............human. Just another short cut taking ego................billionaire. He is no mystery.

Nembo1777, william and 375+ like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #309 william, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    I hope the future of Aston Martin Lagonda, the car company, won't be in jeopardy because of Lawrence Stroll.

Although AML went through many different owners and a few bankruptcies, it always managed to survive.

It's part of British heritage, and they have built fabulous cars.

Only 10/12 years ago, my neighbour, a retired boxer, often use to give me lifts in his DB9.

Flavio_C and Isobel like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The way I see it, he did rescue a team that was going down; beyond that ...

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I don’t but they will eventually once Lance decides it’s over.

Stroll was there at the right time. Took over a great mid-field team with money troubles after determining Williams was a lost cause. Got his son a competitive car and plastered Aston on the side. Factory team, very classy, all good.
    Once they were told they couldn’t continue to replicate stale Mercs, who’d need a crystal ball to guess they’d be heading towards the south end of the grid.
    I see the whole saga as screaming, ‘This is F1’. Big money, big splash, go nowhere. Sound vaguely familiar? LOL.
    Aston doesn’t have any fans so they aren’t hurting anyone and they obviously pay their bills (ok well, they’re somewhat of an exception to the majority of midfielders in that way).
    Folks in the team are getting paid and we have inoffensive grid-fillers who will have moderately good results on occasion but not much more. Forever. Another Team Arrows with money but without the (assumed) longevity.

No issues here. ;)

Nembo1777, Bas and william like this.
  12. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I kind of see Lawrence Stroll as the Jerry Jones of F1.:)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  13. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    Jerry never installed Stephen or Jerry Jr. as the quarterback for the Cowboys.

NGooding likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep I agree with that. Also is worth noting that Lance made a (significant) step up from his time at Williams and became semi-competent. Never going to set the f1 world on fire, will always be a tourist, but at least he won't be a terrible tourist. If he still drove like he did at Williams...well.

william, Flavio_C and Isobel like this.
  15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Indeed. But you know, he inherited his father's business and grew it fantastically by manufacturing luxury brands in sweatshops in China... He felt that this "business knowledge" was enough to succeed in something more complex...

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I hope he sells AML to someone who will preserve and grow this iconic brand.

william likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Aston Martin is fragile. It has been supported for a long time by enthusiastic owners who didn't see it as a cash cow (David Brown, Victor Gauntlett, the Livanos family) but as a boutique making bespoke sportscars. The Ford ownership period was detrimental: at one time they sold rebadged Jaguars as Aston Martin to boost sales ! A big manufacturer often has strange ideas when it owns a small brand in a niche market.
    With the electrification and the introduction of SUVs, I fear for Aston.

Flavio_C likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 well said

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#319 DF1, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Wow he is great at exploiting others as he has no soul lol. Not impressed. He makes clothes. He has done nothing but get rich lol. Nothing new in this world. With no money he does what -------- run a bar and small time crime crew and skip on his taxes LOL

Szafnauer: Aston Martin fate sealed when responsibilities taken away
    Alpine Formula 1 boss Otmar Szafnauer says his switch from Aston Martin last winter was sealed when his old team told him he was effectively no longer in charge of the squad.

By: Jonathan Noble
    Mar 19, 2022, 5:17 AM

The Romanian-born American has moved to Alpine as part of a management shake-up at the Enstone-based squad ahead of the 2022 season, after being at his previous squad for more than a decade.

Reflecting on the change of teams, which came despite him having a contract in place and being firm it was always his intention to stay, Szafnauer said the crunch point came at last year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix when he was told his influence at Aston Martin was to be limited.

Speaking ahead of the F1 season opener, Szafnauer said his future was set once he realised that he could not continue doing the team principal job at Aston Martin as he had intended.

“They made it very clear to me that the responsibilities that I used to have before, were never given back,” he said.

“And once I learned that, then it was really time to move. It was at the last race. I was told: you used to be able to run the team but you're not running it any more.”

Szafnauer said that the attitude of Aston Martin was completely at odds with how Alpine was approaching things – as it made clear they wanted him to have complete control.

“All my discussions with the seniors here, they said: ‘look, the reason we want you to come is because of all your experience in F1. And we want you to apply that to Alpine, and help us in our aim to win races.'

“When the fellows that are hiring you say that, then you feel very confident that that's what they're hiring you for. They want your experience. So that's why I went with the experience.”

Read Also:
    Asked if he would have stayed at Aston Martin if it had not removed his responsibility, Szafnauer said: “I had a contract. So I had no reason [to leave] had the responsibilities not been taken away from me, I would have stayed.”

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Aston Martin loss could translate in Alpine gain ?

Time will tell.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Gee, and Otmar was just saying how Lance is "one of F1's most gifted drivers"? Working with Ocon and Alonso will be a real comedown.

22. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I think what Otmar meant was that Lance has his seat because of a gift from his father.

375+ likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, at the time he was paid to say that !

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    But JJ micro-manages his team. JJ also thinks he's the coach. Over 25 years of not winning a Super Bowl.....hey, but merchandise sales are up.

Why do you think Jimmy Johnson left???

25. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I meant the way he must micro manage the team. Chasing away top talent (Szafnauer) usually results in poorer results.