Aston Martin F1 | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    Inherited his father’s business? His father was the licensee for Pierre Cardin Canada. Check where they are today. Lawrence made a deal with Ralph Lauren, then moved to Europe to grow that brand. Not his father. Then Tommy, Pepe, Asprey, Kors. You obviously don’t like him, but your version of his career is a little off.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I don't understand why Mercedes or BMW doesn't buy Aston Martin. It wouldn't be like Ford, just look at Rolls and Mini, they grew massively under BMW.

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm sorry, you just said that his father was a licensee for Pierre Cardin. Do you believe that Lawrence created HIS business from scratch?

That being said, I'm in no way dimishing his business sucsess, on the contrary, the guy was a genius in the way he worldwide marketed "aspirational" brands while they were being manufactured in China, by workers earning 2 dollars per hour. Imagine his competitive advantage: true luxury brands are manufactured by artisans in France or Italy while having the same marketing costs as him.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Who knows how sportscars companies will survive enforced electrification coming soon? That market may crumble.

The future of the car industry is in electric SUVs, I fear.

jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    There is no problem whatsoever in getting uber rich. But my interaction with him was enough to realize how a jerk he is. I checked him online after that (until then I knew just that he was the owner of Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors): "Canadian, $1 billion net worth". "Wow!". In that same weekend I met another Canadian, back than with a net worth of $2 billion: Guy Laliberté. Ten times more polite!

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I really doubt that there will be a forced electrification. With what energy???

I'm pretty sure that low volume manufacturers will get exempt or at least will be able to use ICE with ethanol.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You just have to look at the legislation in Europe (where most of the sportscars manufacturers are) , to see than the ban on sale of combustion engines has already been approved. It will start circa 2030, with tolerance up to 2035 in some cases, but a total ban on the use of combustion engine from 2040. Already some companies have decided to stop making ICE cars from 2025.

You can check it; I am not making it up. Some countries have already their own legislation: Norway for example, already sells more electric cars than ICE.
    The switch to ethanol (already existing) or synthetic fuels hasn't been endorsed, so it won't receive the state financial help electrification will get.

So, I am wondering how sportscars will survive into that environment . How do you like a Rimac, or a sport Tesla?
    The core of a sportscar is its petrol engine; now if you replace that with an electric motor the attraction is gone.
    Think about a silent, vibration free no frill sportscar, probably automated, do you think people will buy that? I wouldn't!
    Investing in a sportscar company in that period of transition doesn't look like a good idea to me !

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm not doubting you, I just don't believe it will go through. Some of these regulations will be revised. Otherwise will be the death of Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Look at the countries who are backtracking on phasing out coal,nuclear, etc.

Electric cars are for soy boys. :p

Lunch Bag likes this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I bet $1000 that Lawrence Strulovitch wil sell Aston Martin F1 in 2023 at the lastest. :p

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am wondering what the other shareholders will say about that !

I am not even sure if the Stroll consortium holds the majority of the stock.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The guy is hell-bent on building his own PU after Toto advised him not to.......it's his billions. (in 2026)

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think Laurence Stroll has the ambition to transform Aston Martin into an English Ferrari.

Which means having their own engines, etc ... But the 2 brands are completely different, and appeal to different audiences.

jpalmito likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Well, Aston Martin is behind the hybrid and SUV hybrid curve.......looks like a very tall ambition too include an F1 engine.

Flavio_C and william like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Maybe you are right. As a well-known saying: "In motorsports, if you want to become a millionaire, you need first to be a billionaire".

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It's better to sell your investment with a loss than to lose everything.:p

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    OPM

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True

375+ likes this.
  19. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Easy close to 1 billion in debt, massively behind on electrification and questionable value to the brand other than a James Bond connection

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Already under Palmer's management, but even more since Lawrence Stroll took over, Aston Martin has dangerously come out of its comfort zone.

Palmer wanted to add Newey-designed mid-engine supercars to the range : Valhalla and Valkyrie.

A lot of funds have been wasted in that venture, and when Aston went public to raise cash, the share value plummeted.

Stroll came to the rescue, but his recovery plan is too ambitious, IMO. Adding F1 to the Aston Martin brand is irrelevant.

Aston Martin's appeal is not in that market, and Stroll fails to see that, blinded as he is by personal ambition.

21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Agree 100%.

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Valhalla and Valkyrie are very nice car on paper but they don’t have enough money or technical background to develop them.
    Ego at his best !

Jeronimo GTO and Flavio_C like this.
  23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Uh oh Big Daddy Stroll wont like this LOL

Berger doesn't see "way forward" for Aston Martin under
    Formula 1 legend Gerhard Berger says he doesn't see a "way forward" for Aston Martin under new team principal Mike Krack given BMW's recent record in DTM

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Tell us what you really think Gerhard! Ouch, LOL.

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I ****ing love Berger :D:D:D.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.