Aston Martin F1 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :p:p:pImagine that as a driver line up

2. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Companies House filings say Stroll is considered to be the majority shareholder of Aston Jordan Point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That is only the ex-Force India racing team which Stroll bought from Vijay Mallya, renamed Racing Point, and now Aston Martin Racing.

That's independent from Aston Martin Lagonga Global Holding PLC (the car company) where Stroll bought 25% of the stock for £182 millions at the time.

His share percentage may even be lower now since another £318 millions of shares have been issued.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Interesting today Ralf Schumacher said that Lawrence's impatience meant they have the worst car on the grid now.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No Christmas card from Larry this year.

LVP488, pilotoCS and chinaleeexports like this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Micro-managing engineers leads to this.

Remy Zero, Bas, Flavio_C and 2 others like this.
  7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Running a successful F1 team is a lot different than ordering up a bunch of handbags made in southeast Asia sweatshops.

Ralf is right, by the way.

stavura, LVP488, DF1 and 3 others like this.
  8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I said the same thing with Red Bull in 2006 !:D

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Running is different than owning.
    Aston Martin F1 could have a bright future if it was left to competent hands, a good team principal and a strong technical team.
    But if the owner without experience keeps interfering, it will be a disaster.

LVP488 and Flavio_C like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But Dieter Mateschitz was astute in chosing a good management team and not micro-managing his team.
    It's Horner and Newey who made Red Bull successful, money alone wouldn't have done it.

bmwracer likes this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree but in the end Mateschitz succeeded !

12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    But Dietrich Mateschitz is truly a visionary business leader who hired the best and delegated 100%. Lawrence Strulovitch thinks that only money is enough to buy success.

william and Bas like this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep.

Sit in on meetings to observe is fine.

Given his "rule by fear" attitude he's meant to have, I expect the meetings to not reach the points that need to be reached from that instilled fear. And if he starts to ask questions that he can not comprehend or even worse, suggest to do things that he doesn't comprehend. It's the beginning of the end.

william and 375+ like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Not only Mateschitz chose Horner and Newey, but also he knew it would e long term project. How many times has Lawrence changed the team so far?

william and Bas like this.
  15. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    And let's not forget Red Bull's previous involvement with Sauber. They already had some decent know-how before buying Jaguar.

But I kind of understand Lawrence's POV: he saw the somewhat instant success achieved by Mercedes and he wanted to replicate the same thing, this time with a fashionable brand.

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Instant success? Mercedes returned as a team in 2010 backed with the enormous resources of a major automotive manufacturer.

17. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Aston is in trouble on both fronts , F1 and as a manufacturer of cars . As bright and astute as Stroll is , I believe he is delusional in some ways . He is going to drain the bank reviving the brand , I hope he succeeds .

william, jpalmito and Bas like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ya think?????

Stroll just ’burning money’ in F1 - Kolles

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lawrence Stroll is simply "burning money" with a Formula 1 project that "won’t work".

That is the scathing prediction of Colin Kolles, who once ran the Silverstone based team prior to its ownership by the Canadian fashion billionaire.

Now called Aston Martin, the team is languishing on the 2022 grid despite the injection of millions in resources. There are even rumours that Sebastian Vettel only used covid as an excuse to skip Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

"I don’t think he wants to drive at all," Kolles told Sport1. "He just doesn’t want to do that to himself.

"It’s certainly a very daring thesis but I’m sure that he thinks a lot about whether he should still be doing what he’s doing."

Kolles thinks Stroll took on Aston Martin as a vanity project to give his son Lance a permanent home in pitlane.

"It won’t work," he insisted. "Why? They have a team owner who thinks he is the team leader.

"He knows best about everything and puts his son at the centre with all of his power. That’s the completely wrong approach for me," Kolles said.

"If you take a million in any currency and throw it on a fire, the money will burn up just as quickly as it will in Formula 1 if you don’t know what you’re doing.

"That’s what we are seeing at Aston Martin."

He said a clear misstep for Stroll was ordering the team to essentially ’copy’ Mercedes’ car - until the teams revolted and the rules were tightened.

"The mood in the team is really bad when you take parts from somewhere else. Because then you know that the owner doesn’t trust you," said Kolles.

As for the still-absent Vettel, who is nonetheless tipped to return in Australia, he thinks Aston Martin now runs the risk of losing the quadruple world champion.

"Sebastian Vettel is older now, he’s earned a lot of money and has a family. He’s changed in the mind and now knows exactly what’s going on.

"He knows that the fish always stinks from the head," Kolles added. "I see the team going nowhere.

"As long as Mr Whitmarsh is in charge and Mr Stroll doesn’t realise that he needs to stay at home, set the budget and let the people who know what they’re doing get the people they need to lead the team, it’s never going to work."

Ralf Schumacher even goes a step further, arguing that Aston Martin should keep Nico Hulkenberg in the car for Australia rather than reverting to post-covid Vettel.

"There are really only two possibilities," the former F1 driver told Sky Deutschland. "Either Nico has been underestimated for years, or the current regular drivers need to be reconsidered."

https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/en/formula-1/stroll-just-burning-money-in-f1-kolles,169587.html

stavura, TheMayor and 375+ like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Collin Kolles should stop beating round the bush and tell us what he really thinks

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's not like if Collin Kolles was a massive success story himself !!

Everything he touches turns to dust, so I see this comment like the pot calling the kettle black!

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not defending Kolles, am I?

The team that Stroll took over from 2010 till 2018, their longest non scoring streak in that time was 2 races.

Right now it's 4 races and counting.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Did I say you did? No, so calm down !

I was just commenting that as a failed team manager himself, Collin Kolles is hardly in a position to criticise another one.

Just look at his pedigree (Midland, Hispania, Caterham ...) and he has tried to lauch a new F1 team several times.

BTW, the WEC refused the entry of his LMH this year. Now he is sued for using the Vanwall brand without permission !

I am sharing your opinion about Stroll BTW.

23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Outside of Collin Kolles "successes"....if we can see it and he as well.can see it I don't see.what Kolles history has to do what we"ve been sayin.

Michael Kors is one thing that Stroll.was very successful at....among many other name brands.....but F1 is completely different and his son is in the middle of it.
    Lawrence won't listen though, it's his money along with the consortium, and he will spend it as he chooses no matter how "asinine" it may seem.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree with you about Stroll, entirely. It's the privilege of billionaires to blow money buying yachts, horses, footbal clubs or F1 teams.

At the same time, I still find Collin Kolles going public to criticise Stroll a bit misplaced for someone who isn't a success story himself.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OK... the problem is Papa Stroll! :)

Bas likes this.