Atlanta Motorsports Park Membership? | FerrariChat

Atlanta Motorsports Park Membership?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Bundy, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I am considering a Tungsten level membership at Atlanta Motorsports Park, which allows up to 60 track days annually. Are there any AMP members on Ferrari Chat who could share their opinions of membership, the track, facilities, track availability, etc.? TIA.

2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #2 sainthoo, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Not a member, have a friend who is and I've talked with a couple folks: elevation changes, tight and technical. Fun according to those who have driven it.

3. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Appreciate the input, Christian. Circuit looks fun. Any members on FChat?

4. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have two friend who are both members and I have run several races along with even more HPDE days there. If you have specific questions just PM me. I do think they kind of nickel and dime members even after you buy your initial membership but the track is certainly a lot of fun.

One thing to remember, your member days are not just whenever you want. The track is on a schedule. So just because you decide on Saturday morning you want to take a run on the track you may not be able to do so. They have a lot of events scheduled during the year and a membership does not guarantee you can use the track anytime you want.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm a Member - Karting Member, but basically have all the same access except for the big track.

Jeremy has done a fantastic job, the club house is truly amazing - modern, clean and well appointed.

the car track ( I have driven on a bunch of times) is very technical, a bit tight, but fun. ... for me the Kart track is amazing - a lot less $$ but I'm virtually up there almost every weekend.

you can check out the calendar on the web site and see the member days... it is true that you cant just show up and run, but if you are serious about tracking your car... its a pretty slick deal, and you can virtually find everything you need right there.
    Ron Zappendorf at Discovery parts is right there, tons of expertise and you can get gas & work done on site.

as for Nickel and diming..? not sure where that comes from. BUT it is not a cheap experience no matter how you carve it up. The folks I have run into so far have all been super nice.. I live in Buckhead so I don't get to socialize as much since its 1.5 hour drive in traffic but I highly recommend it.

Rembrandt likes this.
  6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you, Scott and Tom. Very helpful. I just checked the calendar and Tungsten members only have access to a possible 6 days in July, and those days are largely not sequential. I drive down from KY, so that's restrictive. A Diamond or Titanium membership might be necessary to maintain decent access. I am also looking at Inde Motorsports east of Tucson (live there 3 months per year), and the access seems easier.

If I join AMP, I plan to do karting, as well. New to me, but a no brainer to improve skills.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've looked at them...

hard for me to fathom where it makes financial sense...

plenty of track access all across the SE

8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

Henryr, which SE tracks do you prefer? I am investigating AMP largely because F of Atlanta uses them for client instruction. Very flexible about where I join, and would love to find a private track closer than 5.5 miles from our home in KY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have never driven AMP... sold my car before it was completed.

Road Atlanta (the 575 loved RA), Barber, Sebring, CMP plus others that have been built since (corvette museam ...)

chin, pca, bmw, and the other clubs can all get you access for $2xx-5xx a weekend. various levels of instruction.

there is probably an event open at a track in the SE every weekend

there are probably clubs renting out AMP (from what i saw in the docs years ago)

how much track driving are you planning on doing ?

no offense to FoA, what/who/how are they providing instruction ?

10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I do need to make it to RA and Barber. I've run VIR, Road America (my favorite), Mid Ohio, and Putnam Park, mostly via PCA and also arrive-and-drive Formula Mazda via Velocity Motorsports.

I could probably get all the seat time I need at public road courses, but I'm semi-retired now and like the idea of membership at a "private" course.

FofA arranged for Trip Campbell at AMP to provide 2 hrs of instruction, although I'll probably increase the time.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    all good reasons....

12. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    An example for you. I am not a member so when I attended the last race I had to pay $50.00 for over night camping and the track does not provide 30amp electric or water or sewer. Now I guess as a non member I can understand but they charged the same $50 to both of my friends and they are Diamond members. I have other examples. If I paid a 5 digit membership fee, I would think I could park my motorhome without an added $50 when it is only for a parking space. That is nickle and diming in my book. JMHO

Rembrandt likes this.
  13. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    AMP has managed to survive and flourish in an environment where most never even get close. Private track concepts are a dime a dozen and many well intended efforts have never made it past a welcome center.
    That said, joining AMP is quite reasonable in comparison to other clubs and the facilities are excellent. Is it pricey? Sure, but that's the cost of tracking a car and where do you get the flexibility and access to a world class track without spending a bit of money? I also appreciate the track is rarely crowded which keeps things safe for all concerned.
    The kart track is truly a treasure and is touted as one of the very best in the US.
    Running organized club days (Chin, etc.) is cheaper but also comes with more risk. One of our Challenge drivers had a nasty incident at COTA two months ago so the cheaper route is not always the safest or best.

14. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Hi Henry, to answer your question and certainly no offense taken, we offer 2 hours of free track time with an instructor to everyone who purchases a Ferrari from us. It's less of a "hair on fire" exercise and more of a getting to know your car with some basic vehicle dynamics lesson. Lots safer than on the street with traffic and stoplights. Those that go love it.

Rembrandt likes this.
  15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^^^

didn't think you guys would but in this day and age......

i thinks thats a great idea, btw

16. mholifield

mholifield Rookie

Jun 25, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Holifield
    I'm a Diamond member there, along with karting. Before joining, it took a long time to convince myself it was worth it, and finally I joined. No regrets at all. Joined my son up as well.

A very high quality FoA day there was a big factor in convincing me.

The facilities and track are well maintained, the new clubhouse is awesome, and the people are accommodating and friendly. As Will says, the track is rarely crowded, and this is a big plus.

A very happy member here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Appreciate all the helpful replies. I think it's great that F of Atlanta offers the 2 hours of track time with a new purchase. Hard to get to grips with these cars on the street.

I am set to run the F12 there in September and decided to pay extra to turn it into a full day. I'll decide on membership after that day. Would love to try karting, as well. Lots to like about AMP so far.

I am OK with paying more if the quality of the track, facilities, fellow drivers, and some elbow room justifies it. Guess that's what initially made me interested in a private track membership.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I checked with Jeremy at AMP, and we don't charge members anything to Camp or to plug in there RVs to 20 amp power.

Also we don't charge a camping fee unless you bring an RV and you plug into the power and it's $35 and that's what the hpde on those events not but not member events. Members are never charged a fee for those items. all members pay for is:

Monthly dues
    Gas
    garage rent
    food

hope that helps. its not for everyone but if you love being on track... its THE place.

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thanks, Tom. Very helpful. 👍🏼

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your tracking the f12 ?

looking back on what i did was stupid...... buy a track car

21. mholifield

mholifield Rookie

Jun 25, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Holifield

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #22 Bundy, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

I agree, Henry. No intentions to track the F12 other than this one trip to AMP to familiarize myself with it in a controlled setting. It's too special for regular track duty. To be honest, I even have mixed feelings about putting this F12 on a track even once.

If I join AMP (and/or Inde), I'll get a dedicated track car for regular use. Maybe even a spec series car so I could race.

23. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    IMO AMP is too tight and small and is certainly not a "world class track" as Will puts it. After 20 years driving at Road Atlanta, Barber, and other SE tracks AMP just does not cut it for me. This is especially true for high hp cars like the F12, which are much more at home on big tracks like VIR, Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc.

So while I agree that the concept of a private country club track is nice, most do not compare to a true gran prix level circuit.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun either way.....

24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thanks, bobbyd. I've had a few friends suggest it's tight. My favorite track is Road America, so I see your point.

I've actually cancelled my F12 track session, not because of AMP specifically but because this particular Tailor Made F12 is just too pristine and custom spec'd for potential track damage - to me. Going to look for a dedicated track car, and one with less hp that may not bite me as easily. All of my previous track experience is in a 408 hp Porsche 993TT or 185 hp Formula Mazda. Not sure I'm ready to unleash 730 hp on a circuit, electronic nannies or not. Important to know your limits in life.

I do think it is very gracious of FofA to offer the seat time at AMP. I still hope to run both AMP and Road Atlanta in the future. And, I may get track seat time in an F12 via Ferrari's Course Client program. Would let me try the 488, too.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments.

25. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    AMP has a few Atoms.
    SRA spec for sale here: 700-Mile 2015 Ariel Atom SRA | Bring a Trailer