ATS 2500 GTS | Page 9 | FerrariChat

ATS 2500 GTS

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by velocetwo, Oct 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel, from France,
    Hello,

I’ve made a register of all ATS GT & GTS produced, existing and destroyed, identified and unidentified. I’ve also considered replicas made by Giordanengo.
    I’ve made a compilation of data from all sources (magazines, pictures on the web, forums, …). Thanks for the amount of information you have given on Ferrarichat, it was a great help for me to complete and consolidate my searches.

I’ve made 2 Excel arrays :
    - Identified cars (I send it in this mail)
    - Unidentified cars (I’ll send it to you in another mail).

It would be interesting to know the serial number of engine for every car. And also, the complete identification on the chassis plate.

Three cars are a mystery for me: # 2001, # 2002 and # 2007.

- Vin # 2001 : Very probably, the first GTS built. It had number 202 at Targa Florio 1964. Severely damaged at Reims in 1964, it was rebuilt by ATS as a spider with a 3L engine (a photo shows the spider on final assembly in june 1966). Was this car sold to Scotti as a basis for ATS-Scotti ?

- Vin # 2002 : this car seems destroyed. Maybe no 204 at Targa Florio 1964. It had the same rear hood than # 2006.

- Vin # 2007 : This car seems destroyed. Maybe a GT, because two lost 1964 GT (a dark green and a yellow) have no vin and no history.

The replicas by Giordanengo are on the market. First # in auction 15/63 had been sold without saying it’s a replica. By the same coachbuilder, a newly built grey GTS completed in 2019 is now to be sold at the factory (it seems to have the vin # 002). In France there is a blue 3000 GTS with vin # 15; the French magazine “Rétroviseur” of december 2017 has published an article with good photos, but never mentioned that the car is a replica.

I noticed two little errors about vin in Ferrarichat, easy to resolve with the owners.
    - Norbert McNamara in a letter of 18/09/1991 on Ferrarichat talks about one of his ATS, vin # 1012. This car is unknown. In fact, # 2004.
    - Bernard Carl in Ferrarichat talks about vin # 002, his ATS bought from Norbert McNamara. This vin is unknown. In fact # 1001.

Attached Files:

2. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD

3. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel, from France.
    Hello,

This register “unidentified cars” is full of mysteries. Colors photos of Geneva (1964) and Torino (1963 and 1964) motor shows could help greatly.

1 – The yellow vanilla GT had been pictured in color in 1966 by Ed Niles at ATS factory. I saw his car at the Salon de L’Automobile of Paris in sept.-october 1964. It has totally disappeared. This GT had two little transverse sliding windows just behind the seats in order to reduce noise level. Also a little b&w photo in Winston Goodfellow’s book on Bizzarini. The ATS stand was just next to ASA stand which displayed a red 1000 GT coupé.

2 – The dark green GT was on the cover of French magazine “L’Automobile” in august 1964, with a short article on last news from ATS and a little picture of this car in profile. Maybe this car was in exhibition at the Torino motor show in oct.-november 1964. This car was imported in France by “Etablissements Jean-Marie Barbier” in Paris (no longer exist) around june 1964. The engine was a 2,5L GTS 245 hp. The dashboard was modified in a cleaner style. This car has also disappeared.

3 – The spider 3L was under total rebuilding in 1966 from GTS # 2001 wreckage (accidented at Reims in 1964). Was this car sold to Scotti as a basis for his Scotti-ATS ?

4 – The Scotti-ATS (probably with 2L engine) is now in Giordanengo’s factory waiting for restoration. It has a modified body, specific chassis and modified suspensions made by Scotti himself. The drawings of chassis from January 1965 are now on Giordanengo site.

About the serial numbers (vin). The rule giving 1000 series for GT and 2000 series for GTS has not been respected for # 2003. Some GTS have full street equipment, and the green GT has a GTS engine. So the rule cannot be respected no more. Only one vin is “free”, not at all identified (# 2007), and two GT have no vin yet. Therefore, vin greater than 2008 must exist. The yellow and the dark green GTs had been built both, so it seems logical they have consecutive vin. Who can help ?

Attached Files:

4. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD

5. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD

6. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel, from France. Thank you very much for your congratulations and your help. I've finished the English translation, and I send you 2 updated arrays in this mail. I've just sent these arrays with 2 letters to Steve Berry. There is still much to do to identify the forgotten and lost ATS 2500.

Attached Files:

tautaudu02 likes this.
  7. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    A special gift for all ATS 2500 GT & GTS lovers.
    This green GT was imported in France around july 1964 by garage "Etablissements Jean-Marie Barbier" (no more exist) in Paris.
    A color picture was on the cover of French magazine L'Automobile of august 1964.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney likes this.
  8. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel, from France. This green GT has totally disappeared (destroyed ?). Has anybody informations about this car ? What vin ? I've made a register (a first step) of all GT & GT produced by ATS.

9. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel, from France. Another gift for ATS lovers, the last version of a register of ATS 2500 GT & GTS I've made (identified and unidentified cars are in 2 separate arrays). See attached files. Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

10. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Most interesting, thank you! The info, that Giovanni Volpi owned 2004 and four frames is based on what? How and when were those frames handed over and stored where? Any documents?

11. danielpithoud

danielpithoud Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    DANIEL PITHOUD
    Daniel from France,

Several sites (SportsCarDigest, Gatsbyonline, …) give almost the same information : Volpi owned s/n 2004, never used it and later gave it to Alf Francis as payment. I remember a site with an interview of Alf Francis where he gave the number of chassis left or given and a lot of information, but impossible to find it again. But I have found on ferrarichat a document written by Norbert McNamara (ex-owner of 2004). He has given the answer to your request (minus chassis). See attached file.
    Sadly documents on the ATS 2500 are almost non-existent. And literature about ATS 2500 is poor. Only a few articles in old magazines.

The register I’ve made is a compilation of all credible information I’ve found. It’s a first step, and I update it every time I got some information. I’ve made it for all ATS 2500 lovers, especially owners. I hope to obtain more information to complete and correct my work.
    ATS owners, Bernard Carl and some others, were asking for a register, so I hope very much a reply. I’ve in the past exchanged mails with Steve Berry (2 ATS !), who had done a good first attempt of an ATS register, his work helped me very much.

lgs likes this.
  12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Early 1967 Alf Francis joined Serenissima Automobili S.p.A. in Formigine and brought ATS c/n 2004 with him. He then Serenissima-badged the car, which he got before from Chiti for his services provided in connection with Fritz Baumann, Arthur Blank, Vic Derrington and Mario Cabral. Indeed, McNamara’s letter to HU. Büchi is confusing, but correct: Until Volpi left, the firms registered name was Automobili Serenissima Bologna S.p.A. and just got modified to Automobili Turismo e Sport S.p.A. Bologna on 30. 11. 1962. And: Volpi never owned after any ATS car or parts.

13. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Does anyone have any data about OE tyres on ATS?