Attention 360 Owners...Important Info. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Attention 360 Owners...Important Info.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tomf-1, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I had mine go in my 2001 spider and it meant an engine rebuild. The whole parts and labour was covered under warranty in the UK with no issues at all.

Check with FNA - it seems to me that labour for an engine rebuild is covered due to the defective variator but not covered for preventative work. Tell them you intend to rev the car repeatedly highly on a track and see if they want to cover the labour on the small job or the larger reuild.

gtwhaley likes this.
  2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i thought you were kidding...i checked and you aren't kidding. LOL.

ferraristinks.com is available also :)

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    would someone please mind explaining exactly what this variator is / does, why it fails and then what happens. toned down for the non-engineer types would be helful, thanks.

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    If you have heard of variable valve timing then you are half way there. 360 has two variators on the exhaust (one for each bank) that change the timing of the exhaust valves to open and close earlier or later. The duration will still stay the same since that is controlled by the cam lobes. The variators have an inherent design problem. Ferrari re-designed them back in 2001 and updated them apparently as late as 2003. Mechanically they have changed the length of the variator shaft to probably make it stronger. They started failing in the challenge cars first and then a few road cars with blown valves pistons and variators got cars sidelined. Do you know what happens if the timing belt breaks...similar catastrophic failure can happen if a variator fails. Ferrari had a recall to replace variators on all challenge cars but not the road cars. Now they have recalled the road cars to replace the variators to avoid major failures in the engines.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Valid point, Steve. Today is one of those vey frustrating Ferrari day.

On a similar and related Ferrari topic--

Today Drexel of Lake Forest Sport Cars officially declined to perform this Service Campaign on my 360..LFSC's main rationality is "in this particular service campaign, Ferrari doesn't allow them enough hours to compensate for actual cost of labor" so unless the customer (me) is willing to pay LFSC for the difference in labor cost, they won't do the Service Campaign even though, he admited the bulletin clearly stated that both parts and labor are covered under warranty. In addition, his tools "are now broken", according to both Lee and Drexel.

What's really disappointing about this is I was willing to have them perform the timing belts on my 360 at my expense. From what I understand, they will need to remove the timing belts anyway to replace the Timing Variator and Timing Belt Tensioners. What this means is they will have an opportunity to not only get pay for the service from Ferrari but also from me but somehow that wasn't enough.

I got in touch with Continental Ferrari. Scott seems reasonable. They agree to take ownership of the Service Campaign and perform the service "under Warranty" but....... ONLY if I pay the total cost of the timing belt service. His estimate for the timing belt service wasn't cheap but that's fine (getting sick of dealing w/ it). I gave Continental the approval and my 360 is being transported there next week.

Is this a very frustrating experience or....Is it just me? What am I missing? I will keep you guys abreast of further development.

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    how could a dealer refuse to do authorized warranty work because they feel they are not being fairly compensated?? sounds like if it failed they would be responsible regardless.

i have never owned a new ferrari but it has become painfully obvious that FNA has no interest or control over their dealers. could you imagine any other brand of dealer making the same claim? something goes wrong with my BMW, they fix it.

Time for FNA to start cracking down on these shady dealers, shady deals, "preferred client" lists, scams etc. and all the rest of the junk that has given many of their devoted customers and wannabe customers a bad taste.

sounds like LFSC should be losing some f430 allocations, that'll teach em.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that does make a difference if it is a case of FNA claiming a 5 hr job actually takes 10 hrs.....

a good friend of mine owns a german imports service shop, and the mechanics are almost always able to do repairs below book times especially if its a bigger project where labor overlaps.

just out of curiosity, what the diff between FNA book and actual tech time on a 360 belt rep?

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I agree with you, Matt. As most of you guys know....I don't ***** very often but... this is absurb. Brian Crall has a valid point about dealership getting the short end of having to make up the difference b/w what FNA compensates vs. the actual work...However, in this case I was told (thanks to my good friend Matt who pointed out to me) "in order to perform this particular Service Campaign, the technician will have do remove the old timing belts anyhow" and since I agree to pay for the timing belt service, it appears LFSC will be compensated twice for doing the same labor. This however doesn't appear to be enough for them...Very disappointing.

In any case, Continental Ferrari agrees to take ownership of the Service Campaign provided that I pay for the timing belt service (parts and labor). That's acceptable to me. Though they aren't the cheapest in the country but I've heard and received very positive feedback among the Ferrari community here in KC and the surrounding regions of their workmanship, technical expertise and quality work so the car is heading there next week.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is a very good example of just what is happening. And yes your friend is correct, the German car companys are well known in the industry for extravagant flat rate times.
    The labor times in the Ferrari books have gone in recent years to an all inclusive system in most cases. An example of the problem in practice, if you have to replace part "A" the time is one hour. But you have to remove part "B" to get to it and part "B" takes two hours. You can't add part A and B together on a warranty claim. Ferrari admits to the dealers that these issues exist but as far as they are concerned "To bad, that is what the book says that is what we are paying". It is an extraordinarily unfair sys. In practice on customer pay work we try to determine from experience what a reasonable time for an average Ferrari mechanic to do the job properly, some do it faster some slower.

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

13. 360LVR

360LVR Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    I am thinking of pruchasing a 2000 F1. How do you recognize the problem? How do you know that something is wrong or if it will cause problems with my particular car?
    Thx.

14. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    My experience tells me that dealers are indeed squeezed between factory-owned importers and customers (at least those who complain), but that's normal somehow: it is the situation of any sales force, whether owned or franchised.
    Long waiting lists don't help to be customer-oriented.
    A core customer base that pretty much accepts any BS because it corresponds to their vision of automotive darwinism - if you are not prepared to pay ridiculous amounts on parts & labour resulting from poor quality, you don't deserve to own Ferraris - doesn't help to fight complacency.

In my experience, a good solution is to hold dealers to the standards you expect from them, BUT also help them by writing to your national importer and, if required, to the mkg department in Maranello. FNA, to use that example, has an easy play if they're shielded from customers.
    I speculate that the core issue is in Maranello, at least for all importers owned by Ferrari Spa. Give the hardest time to the people who are the closest to the decision centers.

And if you get too much nonsense, be resolute about moving to competition. Devout, blind passion is our worst ennemy.

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    question - does the strad share this sub-optimal variator with the 360? or was the whole shebang fixed/updated in 2003 as 412fly implies?

can someone with the TSB post the range of affected vins?

doody.

16. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    This campaign involves all 360 models with engine numbers below 60796 only (vin range; 114015 to 123399). I believe it covers Model year from 1999 through early 2001.

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am one "frustrated experience" away from a Gallardo !!!!

Tom "Formerly Patient & Persevered" P.

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'm about $65k in depreciation of where i'd like to own one.

19. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I can relate to that, but as the saying goes, grass is always greener ...

20. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Hey Tom,

Don't be frustrated, especially since you have owned Ferraris before. I think there is something special about Ferraris and that's why we are atrracted to them from childhood. Modern Ferraris by far are better built and more trouble free than those of decades ago. But they are no Toyota or BMW. Look on the bright side as I do where I chased this issue all the way to the national director at FNA with lots of lip service but finally getting a piece of mind that yes, the parts are faulty and they MUST be replaced. Believe me, some guys have lost months of using their cars and over $20K out of pocket expense dealing with this issue. I still think 360M is by far the best looking and most exciting car to look, hear and drive.

Cheers,
    Matt

21. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Matt, agree.

Upon reading your post....I decided "a little quality time is in order". After a 30 minutes of joy ride to remind me of what brought us together, I think we worked out our diffenrences....

However, let me assure you "the next time that B*tch acts up and cheats on me, that Gallardo will take up that spot in the garage so fast, that 360 won't have a chance to finish saying "service campaign"....LOL.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, dude.

Tom "I love my 360 again" P.

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    will a ppi be able to detect this problem? should i insist on having them replaced as a purchase contigency?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

That is where a person that knows those cars specifically comes in. During a PPI the service records for the car as well as the TSB's and recalls should be reviewed. If some or none of that is made available, replacement would be wise.

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Gentlemen, The US government has a website where all such defects and service bulletins are supposed to be listed http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm. I did not find the bulletin which covers this topic but I believe that Federal law requires such a disclosure and if it is safety related for the vehicle manufacturer to remedy the problem. It also lists 201-816-2651 as the official telephone number for inquiries. It was interesting to see some of the other recalls and service bulletins(only available through FOYA) for a fee. FNA has a history of not doing anything unless you scream loud enough.