Austin area | FerrariChat

Austin area

Discussion in 'Texas' started by gh0st0, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Hello,
    May be relocating with my current job, as we have a building in office we’re going to use to expand. How active is the car scene, and how is housing (looks pretty affordable compared to Chicago and the suburbs)? I’ll be there is September to look around, office is northwest of Austin and I’ll be looking in the round rock, Leander and Georgetown area since it seems to be a good area outside the flood zone. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You’re on the good side of town. Traffic in Austin gets unbearable when you try to cross the river to get to SoCo (South Congress). South side has a funky vibe and is fun, but north and west is where you want to live and work.

Lotta cars. Lotta Ferraris. Be sure to look up Brian (Rifledriver). I forget the name of his shop, but I’m sure someone here will pipe up.

The area around Austin offers some of the best driving in Texas. Just be careful of the bicyclists. Some of them have a death wish.

Welcome to Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

gh0st0 likes this.
  3. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Thanks, any tips/ advice about Austin (better to get a real gauge from locals then reading on the internet) ? One part of this is trying to convince my significant other that it’s a good idea to move from the Chicagoland area to Austin.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Go visit Austin in January. If that doesn't convince her, nothing will.

Yassa, gh0st0 and Bob in Texas like this.
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Austin is one of the best towns in the country! I think I heard that 100 people move here each day because of the affordable housing, culture and job market. "Keep Austin weird" is the local slogan.

As above, active Ferrari club/Hill Country chapter, monthly events, weekend driving tours, etc. We have the only F1 race track in the country -Circuit of the Americas, there's a newly-built Ferrari dealership and Brian C (Rifledriver), perhaps the best Ferrari "mechanic" (that word just doesn't do justice) in the country. (http://www.hillcountryferrari.com).

Car events almost every weekend, Cars and coffee at COTA once a month was said to draw a thousand cars on its opening day and is safe and very well organized. C&C's both north and south of Austin. Where you might move will be nice areas: Georgetown is one of my favorites.

Then as Texas Forever mentioned, the roads west and southwest of Austin are just excellent for letting your car stretch its legs. Hills, twisties and open country. Lots to do car-wise. Here are a couple pics...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa, crinoid and gh0st0 like this.
  6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Lived here since 92. Car culture is booming, and all over the map depending on what you are into. Drop me a line if you wish to chat over the phone sometime or if you are coming into town. I'm on the NW side and work up in RR.

gh0st0 likes this.
  7. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Nice, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. As for housing, sounds like round rock, Georgetown, and Leander are good, they pretty close to amenities?

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Welcome to texas! new to northern san antonio area..... will be joining the austin guys for cota events soon !

9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Can you guys elaborate on where in the Austin area these nice driving roads are? I just recently relocated to Houston and find that I can’t drive my car anywhere because the local roads are atrocious!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just moved from Houston;;; Houston is no place for a super car. I found myself getting up at 4am to hit a few on off ramps, Before traffic lit up!!!

11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    ommggg!! I figured the on/off ramps would be the only fun I'd get around here! Either that or MSR Houston

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Head out I-10 and exit at Sealy. Be careful. There are lot of revenuers in Sealy. Then look for FM 1094 and head west to Fayetteville. There are a lot of good roads in the triangle from Sealy to 290 to the North and I-10 to the south. Be warned, though. On weekends, there will be jillions of bicyclists and slow moving Harleys. Leave early.

If you go past Austin, there's a lot more.

Ps Go to Barnes and Noble and buy the detail Texas road map.

Bob in Texas and timwu12 like this.
  13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Those are good ideas from Houston! There's a small Fayetteville restaurant called Orsaks there. If you go a little farther to Roundtop there is the Garden Market restaurant and small antique shops. Plot out the roads between them. Just above LaGrange is the Winchester Steak house, a local favorite - out in the middle of nowhere.(FM153 off of hwy 77). A great destination while taking the back roads to get there.

Austin
    The best roads are southwest of Fredericksburg and Kerrville (west of Austin). Rt 27/39 out of Kerrville to Hunt Texas. Rt 1340 is awesome and leads to the other roads., Rt 16 south of Kerrville. Use those roads to get to get to the "sisters" Rt's 335, 336 and 337. These 3 roads are the not-to-miss driving roads. You'll hit Leakey, Bandara, Utopia. Getting there from Austin is a bit of a one-day drive stretch, it would be a loooong day. Best is to stay out near Fredericksburg, like the Hanger Hotel where the FCA stays once a year.

Closer to Austin there are roads south towards Dripping Springs and Wimberley. Rt's 150 and 3237. Or route 12 to 2325 towards Blanco.

Lots of choices...

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Horrible horrible place. Best bet is nyc or la.

Hook 'em!

VAF84, timjen88, LI2782 and 4 others like this.
  15. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Any links to the meets? Doesn’t seem to be too active in the forum here

16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you are a member of FCA or the Porsche club/PCA, weekly/monthly emails of events.

If you are on Facebook. There's a group called Sweet Rides of Central Texas (daily posts of events/other) Very active

And...a listing of car events
    Motoraustin.com
    http://www.motoraustin.com/events/

gh0st0 likes this.
  17. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Thanks, always hoping to see a bigger presence on the forum.

18. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Man, I wish I were in Austin and not San Antonio on this project. Looks like you guys have all the cool car stuff. Luckily I'm not too far so will have to drive up one of these days. Great info BTW. Much appreciated.

19. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    We have several friends that have moved from the Chicago area to Austin. I can't think of a single one of them that has regretted the move.

Hmmm. Define amenities. Strip malls galore. Anywhere USA essentially... Jobs, shopping, schools, healthcare. It's all there, but just kind of a cultural desert.

I hesitate to mention this, but IMO the best driving in the entire area is actually NorthEAST of Austin. Once you get on the other side of 130 and Elgin, Hutto/Taylor, the world opens up into a series of open, empty, lane-and-a-half wide county roads that go on forever (especially once you're East of 95). It's not the scenic, rugged Hill Country views that you'll get West of Austin, but the terrain is rolling, open countryside that offers tremendous visibility in all directions. There isn't another major town/City until you get to Bryan/College Station or Temple up 95. However, there is plenty of good BBQ if you need a break including the top-rated BBQ joint in Texas - Snow's in Lexington.

And yes, please keep an eye out for cyclists! When I'm not wringing out an old 911 on those empty roads, I'm one of those idiots on a bike that are trying to enjoy the quiet and scenic roadways as well. ;)

Cheers,

2cam

VAF84, davem and Texas Forever like this.
  20. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    That would be Murphy's Steakhouse in Winchester which is on FM153 West of Highway 77. It is good! Interestingly, it's located in an old General Store that once belonged to my family. ;) The drive on 153 from 77 to Winchester is a nice drive through an area called the Lost Pines.

2cam

21. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Wow! I just noticed how atrocious my English was in those last two posts. Unfortunately, it's too late to edit them. My apologies! :( I really should refrain from posting stuff while on conference calls...

2cam

22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm in Bastrop so I hear ya on the roads northeast of Elgin. I just drove past Murphy's on Friday on 153 on the way to lunch in Roundup. Been to Murphy's for steaks and burgers before. I forget the route numbers but the back roads to Fayetteville from the Elgin area are nice and virtually traffic free as you point out.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please help us out by not riding two abreast on blind curves. :cool:

one4torque and SAFE4NOW like this.
  24. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I've been riding bikes on the road for over 25 years at this point (and driving for over 30). Unfortunately, there is a certain percentage of idiots and jackwads in every population that make the rest of us look bad. Cycling is no exception. However, the sheer number of riders (usually newer to the sport or triathletes) that display a sense of entitlement to the roads is extremely frustrating to me. Bottom line for both drivers and cyclists - be conscientious and respectful of those around you and don't act like an idiot.

2cam

one4torque and Texas Forever like this.
  25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Northwest Austin ends about Cedar Park.

Past that Williamson County is a whole different vibe.

So, don't go too far!
    Be glad to put you in touch as a friend has a real estate office there, he lives out on Lake Travis, Point Venture.
    That would still be "northwest" in my mind as it goes back to 183.