Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Discussion in 'British' started by jonesdds, Mar 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    #26 moretti124guy, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Even if you had a later model sprite you can always add a Speedwell Sprite Bonnet, or if you can find one a Thomas Denner Bonnet like I had on my Sprite. The pic is a photo of my Denner Front end, they were built in the early 60's in Pasadena on the Denner Racing Sprites, and also sold to other racers and the public. Made for a interesting car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Here is a little Bugeye that just came on the market. Needs some floor repair, but at $3,900 it should be a good candidate. I bought my Ginetta from the same guy, he is pretty friendly and will not give you a line of bull in my experience... When you call or email, ask for Hayes Harris, even though he usually answers the phone.
    http://www.wirewheel.com/1959-AUSTIN-HEALEY-BUGEYE-SPRITE.html
    :)
    BT

3. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hayes is a very honest and excellent guy...bought a Lotus Europa Special from him sight unseen and had it shipped from Florida to here in Canada and it was exactly as Hayes had described it to me...no wonder his place moves so many great cars.

4. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks. Does look like a good candidate for restoration. Thanks for the info, wish they weren't so far away.

Jeff

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    No problem. I would give Hayes a call and explain what you want to do. He will be honest about the car and what it needs. If you need me to take a look at it I can go maybe Tuesday next week and take pictures of whatever you need and put an independant eye on it. A bugeye is a good car to restore today as it is appreciating in value and would probably be worth the effort.
    :)
    BT

6. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #31 jonesdds, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    thanks I appreciate that! But, still need to call and ask the appropriate questions, wouldn't want you to waste your time unless I was ready to pull the trigger. Also in the mean time I've located a possible great candidate, a MGA actually which would be my first choice. Looks like a great deal. One question is how can I verify it's an original engine in the car? Also, what are the catastrophic rust issues or areas to really examine? Been trying to find a good MG message board but don't seem to be able to. Thanks

Jeff

7. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My father and I are working on an MGA restoration at the moment. As to MG message boards, the one I use most is http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/ as well as British Car Forums. They should be able to help you out.