Austrian (Spielberg) GP 2019 - Pre-Race news | FerrariChat

Austrian (Spielberg) GP 2019 - Pre-Race news

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    daytona355 and jcurry like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Dying to see this race ever since watching the GP at the long Zeltweg circuit in the 80's ( I will never call it the rote Kuh ring) but it conflicts with Chantilly where I have to be...next year hopefully.

Here enjoy the ride ride with Cheever 83 and Tambay 85 hello turbo lag hello impressive top speeds, love the pastoral setting and fast flowing course:)

E60 M5, 375+ and amerikalei like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A complete and pleasant experience this event is. I hope you attend in the future!! Nice area to be in, race or not. :)

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks , I have been to Austria before and Bavaria last summer so yes really looking fwd to it!

DF1 likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    {AMuS}

Hulkenberg will get the new spec at Spielberg. Renault wanted to avoid the grid penalty for Hulk at their home race (Paul Ricard).

daytona355 and DF1 like this.
  6. DF1

Better late than never - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144366/ferrari-to-sacrifice-top-speed-for-more-downforce

Ferrari's will sacrifice some of its straightline speed advantage in the pursuit of more downforce as it evolves its Formula 1 car's aerodynamic philosophy.

As expected, Ferrari struggled during last weekend's French Grand Prix and was no match for chief rival Mercedes, which maintained its 100% winning start to the season.

Ferrari brought several upgrades to Paul Ricard and persevered with an updated front wing, rear wing and brake ducts through qualifying and the race, but removed its new floor after Friday practice.

The team had not expected the new parts to transform its performance, and instead hoped it would be key to setting the direction for its car's development over the coming weeks and months.

Asked by Autosport/motorsport.com which direction Ferrari was heading development-wise, team principal Mattia Binotto said: "I think we are looking for, eventually, more downforce to the detriment of the speed.

"Even if the car will not be too efficient, [it will] give more downforce to get the tyres working. "That will be the direction to go.

"[In qualifying at Paul Ricard] we've seen how difficult to get the tyres working. "That is something we are focused on."

7. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    What ever happened to Dietrich Mateschitz plans to restore parts of circuit?...was the buzz a couple years ago, but then nothing...

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The unused portion of the Oesterreichring after the old first chicane is apparently in another jurisdiction so not so simple, that is what I recall rightly or wrongly and it is close to some homes plus that fast curve at the end of that section would need more runoff or have to be castrated speed wise, made tighter...

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Saw a very simple but fascinating graph once of the time a car spends accelerating and at constant speed, ie straights vs corners. Can’t recall exact details but the time spent in a corner far far outweighed the time spent on a straight.

I appreciate it’s not that simple, but...!

You would have hoped Ferrari understood this and looked around at the other teams. From memory Williams use to top the speed traps last year on a regular basis...but came where and why?????

10. DF1

When you lose so much time in corners, the straights do not matter unless 1 or 2 circuits.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Utterly bizarre to me that Ferrari only realized this now? Red Bull did it all the time when they where dominating. Often had the lowest top speed of any team yet brutal through the corners.

It's my understanding now that Ferrari has the most powerful engine...high downforce = more speed through corners (or hopefully at least Mercedes equaling), and retain the edge by accelerating quicker...

These cars spend very little time driving at top speed. Frankly, if you get close enough to the car ahead to get that basterd DRS, you'll get by whether you have a low or high downforce setup.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, it happens like that in Michel Vaillant too .... LOL

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Keep it up William.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #14 DeSoto, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Ah, ingegneri deli lunedi, they never miss a chance. High cornering speed is useless if you overheat the tyres... but if Pirelli changes the tyres, whoa, problem solved!

Even the GENIUS Adrian Newey is suffering the problem, but I suppose you know better from your armchair.

daytona355 and crinoid like this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As F1 was and should be. Thanks for posting.

daytona355 and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. DF1

sampelligrino likes this.
  17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    A million times better than F1 today.

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Another GP already, do we have to?
    I'm just getting over the crushing (yet boring) disappointment of the last one.

E60 M5, Bas and 375+ like this.
  19. DF1

No mercy this year :)

20. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    F1 truly needs a great, not even good, race. The Spanish and Monaco races were total snoozefests, Canada was a fiasco and the French race is universally being blasted as one of the worst of all time. Hoping that Austria can deliver something for F1 to redeem itself, but I am not holding my breath. Nero could be fiddling while Rome is burning.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The only thing that could make Austria a decent race is if Pirelli bring the wrong lorries and change the tyres by accident back to the compound they were supposed to use for F1, before the evil empire made them change the tyres to suit them

Please note that the views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect nor imply that they are those of FChat or its affiliates. They are personal reflections only

fil and Bas like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 And the question is: Who is Nero?

23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I think we really have to stop blaming Ferrari's mess and Mercedes' dominance on the theory that Pirelli and the FIA are all conspiring to help Mercedes win. Mercedes doesn't need their help, they've been kicking Ferrari's ass for six straight years now. I didn't buy it when some were saying the same thing about Ferrari in Michael's days and victories. The team that wants it the most and makes the biggest commitment (cars, drivers, engineers, the whole team, etc.) to getting it, wins. The ball is in Ferrari's court to step up and do it. And every other team running Ferrari engines is also struggling, while Renault is doing the hard work and showing the improvement for it.

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

This might be the case if no teams were complaining about the tyres, but unfortunately, the tyre issue has been highlighted by most of the teams now, so it is a genuine issue, and the tyre manufacturer itself admitted they changed the tyres and that the current compound suits the Mercedes, and challenged the other teams to get together to force the change, something they are well aware would stick in the throat of nine competing f1 teams regardless of the performance issues they suffer.

When ferrari had a bespoke manufacturer, the teams had the choice to go to the second supplier, which they did, if the tyres were not suited to them. The introduction of the single tyre supplier hasn’t worked since it was brought in, as there is no alternative to a team that can not make the compounds produced work. This then helps to destroy the racing, and we end up with the parade laps and guaranteed winners that we have today.

BTW, did I miss the Renault on the podium then? I thought they were midfield AGAIN. Didn’t see much improvement anywhere except on Mclarens qualifying pace.

Please note that the views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect nor imply that they are those of FChat or its affiliates. They are personal reflections only

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #25 DeSoto, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    I disagree with the first part but agree with the second. Pirelli, sometimes intentionally and others I guess not, has helped Mercedes, but the saddest part is that Mercedes probably would have won anyway, just by a narrower margin. So I can´t understand why nobody at FIA or Liberty told Pirelli to stop spoiling the show and driving away their spectators. Also I´m amazed that the marketing department of Pirelli is still willing to take part in a sport where people only talks about them because they´ve messing it up for years.