Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RobertM, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You are forgetting he has the right to remain silent and exercised that right.

Scott

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And what does his insurance company have to say?

BHW

3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Probably nothing because if he was smart enough not to talk to the police he probably didn't file a claim with his insurance company.

Scott

4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Right, but I am sure the owner of the other car and his insurance did.
    Again, this absolute silence on this case is puzzling.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Is it at least safe to say that the offending car is still impounded by the FHP?

BHW

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Also amazing how no newspaper or TV station has pursued this case further

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Not really, considering the priorities of south Florida media. Right now they're too busy flacking for the Heat and hyping the onset of hurricane season.....

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    48 hours should do an investigative report about this.

9. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Agreed

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They have evidence he called his wife, and she picked him up at the scene??

That could really unwind badly, (for her) if so...

There's some tidbits in that last article that indicate somebody at FHP is working the case, actively IMO.

11. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    It was a slow day so I just read the entire thread. Without offering an opinion on the morality of the question it appears that the driver did the "correct thing" by leaving. Please don't blow my house up for stating the obvious.

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What do you mean by "correct thing?" And please tell us why it should be "obvious."

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I see where he is coming from. *IF* the guy gets away with this, then he did "the right thing" for himself.

I'm just hoping this blows up in his face big time and he gets hung out to dry.

If this stands, it will set the worst possible example for "ideal" behavior at an accident. That'd be reason alone for the FHP to prosecute this.

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I guess his very poor choice of words really meant, the "expedient" thing to do. I see no way that leaving the scene of a fatal accident can in any way be described as "correct." When the responsible party is caught and convicted I sincerely hope the maximum penalty will be imposed. The civil trial could be the first step. Presumably the plaintiffs have an investigator who has evidence, circumstantial or otherwise.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes to all of the above.

16. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Still can't believe this hasn't received more press.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Tony Stewart did it.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You are a very bad boy.
    ;)

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Pretty amazing, actually, that there hasn't been some movement on this case.

CW

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Not really. The corruption is common when you have enough to pay for it.

Look up John Goodman as another fine example.

:(
    BT

21. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Goodman is getting ready to go back to jail for a long time though.

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, I do understand that money will buy better lawyers. And, it can buy some leniency. As a lawyer, I would find it hard to believe that something as serious as this could be brushed aside. I'm not naive. I do know that officials look the other way, but we're talking about lesser offenses.

Yes, I recall the Goodman case. But, I think JG, as Gator pointed out, didn't avoid prison. Just delayed it. In fact, he got 16 years.

Thanks,

CW

23. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    This is all speculative, but here it is:

I don't think we all know the facts to this case, but I discussed this with someone who inquired about the facts of this accident and he advised that the driver that was killed "MAY have" merged into the second lane (and not the first) in the direct patch of the Scuderia.. and if that's the case, there would be shared culpability as to who was at fault in the accident. If this was the case, a 50/50 culpability would create some issues as far as charging anyone in this case. There is no hard data to how fast the Ferrari was actually going, and if he as doing 80-90 in a 60, that is not necessarily negligent. Sure he may have been doing over that, but can they prove it? And of course merging into the path of a speeding car across two lanes is not good.

Of course this doesn't negate the charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving death. Certainly the crash was great enough that the driver would have left DNA on the airbag/steering wheel/whatever.

All that being said, I'd love to hear an update on this from someone at the SAO or FHP. I think the reason this has been quiet is because both drivers were at fault.

24. ColdShower

ColdShower Rookie

Apr 24, 2014
    I live in Miami. Downtown are and I'm the happy owner of a 458. In this city, it doesn't matter what drivers drive. They all drive like if they were at a death race or something like that. From a Smart car to a Bugatti. The other day I was driving back from work, around 6pm when this civic cuts my off at a fork at about 65 miles an hour. He went from one tip of the Y to the other. almost crashing and making me crash at the intersection of both lanes. Insane. He just popped from behind passed me and to boned me! I can go about driving in Miami on and on. The other day this guy in an Aventador also made the news in when hitting an SUV from behind at 90 miles an hours (at 5am) killing his related that was a passenger.

It's not easy around here. People just don't care about heir own lives.

Woman texting..... Don't get me started. I agree with all of you that Miami is the worst city to even drive a lawn mower.

I hope justice is served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    That conviction was thrown out due to juror misconduct. He's getting ready to go back to trial and I bet he gets at least 16 years and possibly more in the retrial. He's lost almost every little motion in the lead up to the retrial. The State isn't playing around this time.