Auto cross, racing helmets and gear. | FerrariChat

Auto cross, racing helmets and gear.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Lt1corvette, Jul 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lt1corvette

Lt1corvette Guest

Jun 19, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dowd
    Well, I have finally decided to start doing some track days. Any advice on a good place to purchase a helmet? Also any models that you have had good experience with. They all look the same to me.
    Thanks for the advice.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the quality and prices of G-Force stuff. Do a search and compare online prices. Racer Parts Wholesale good.

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    G-Force are good for the price, or go up a step and get a Bell. Up further get a Kevlar helmet from Bell which will be even lighter weight. Both Bell and G-Force are "painter friendly" if you decide to get a custom paint job later.

What's preferable is that you actually try on your prospective helmet, to make sure it fits well since heads differ by more than just size, but also by shape.

4. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    For auto racing most organizations require a SA (Special Application) helmet. These are certified by Snell every 5 years, So helmets will be Snell SA 1995 or Snell SA 2000's. In October of this year Snell SA 2005's will become available from Bell. I don't know when other makers will be approved.

Pegasus auto racing has a good range of makers and can get you a helmet quickly if need by. Fit and comfort is most important.

Have a blast.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Will you have a problem painting both a prancing horse and zoom-zoom-zoom on my new one? :D

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Demon tweeks in the UK has the best prices on upper end gear. For autocross it may be overkill.

7. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    "It's not how you drive, it's how you look ..... "

Now kidding aside, decide your budget as this can get expensive. You don't need the whole kit for auto X but if you'll do track days or some sort of racing in the future you are better off spending more.

I would buy a decent helmet but find the one that fits your head. Bell is a good option but there's other brands like Bieffe (www.bieffeamerica.com), Sparco, and even OMP that are good buys. I don't care for Simpson and Arai are excellent but expensive.

I've bought my gear with Grand Prix Racewear (www.gprdirect.com) in the UK, they always run specials that are good values.

one more thing, buy shoes too.... they give you much better feeling.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Any time you're ready! By the way, FCA Prancing Horse magazine asked me to to an article on Helmet Painting. It's been submitted and will likely be published in the 4th Qtr issue.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We should start thinking of ideas, I will buy a helmet once they go SA2005. Maybe a Yin-Yang type interweve of Ferrari colors and symbols with Mazda colors and symbols. You da artist though, I want you to be in control.

10. alexpez

alexpez Rookie

Jul 20, 2005
    as mcharness says, its really a comfort thing, and youd be far better off trying some on before you buy. also note that they are supposed to be tight when you put them on for the first time (unlike the ones that they give you on track days and karting centres!)

Ive got an Arai GP5k (the budget model of the helmet juan pablo montoya and raikkonen wear) as i used to race formula fords. It fits my face and head much better than the equivalent Bell helmet, and having raced using a Bell helmet a few times i can say theres far less buffetting generated by the Arai (of course its not going to be an issue in a tin top, but should you get really into your motor sport you might want to try single seaters :) )

got my overalls, boots and gloves (note: make sure youve got padding on the back of the hand of the gloves if you want to go single seater racing), all Sparcos, from Demontweeks, and my helmet from Grand Prix Racewear. top notch service from both.

edit:

dont forget to pick up a balaclava, preferrably nomex and fireproof, with the stitching on the outside (or youll get stitch marks on your head and face - not comfortable). you can then wash that after events and wont have to worry too much about your motorracing helmet getting really sweaty and smelling bad!

pez

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ney has it right. Its too hot in north america to race now so wait until it cools in Oct. and get the sa2005 helmets. Also, decide autox or road race. AutoX is o.k. kinda like time trialing an interesting game. Road racing is a sport. Big grins!

12. alexpez

alexpez Rookie

Jul 20, 2005
    sorry to take this thread OT, but can i also recommend the PC racing sim GTR from Simbin?

theres an amazing sounding f355 Challenge car in there as well as the f550 and f575 GT cars from the FIA GT championship.

best sim on the market at the moment (im as big into my sim racing as i am into my real racing)

get yourself a decent wheel (id recommend the logitech driving force pro), a decent spec PC, and youre flying (or driving, as the case may be!).

Racing sims are now a great (and cheap) way to learn race craft imo.

pez

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    AX is inexpensive and a great way to develop skills. I find road racers that started with AX are much faster quicker and actually more technical where I see some good road racers that have been doing it 10+ years, but couldn't find an apex if they were on rails. Also teaches you to learn a new track quickly. Again many road racers can learn a home track through experience and be fast there, but how long does it take them to get fast at a new track?

Obviously, karting is maybe the best place to get started, but AX is the least expensive. If you have the money to go road racing, nothing compares. Once you run door to door for hours a day vs. 4 - 30 second AX runs, then you know heaven has been found. :)

14. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    There is no F355 Challenge in GTR. GTR is based on the 2003 FIA: GT Racing Championship. The car you're probably thinking of is the 360 GT.

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    About helmets, I use the Arai GP-5. The best fitting, lightest most well ventilated open-wheel racing helmet I could find. Of course, depending on the shape and size of your head, it may not be the best for you.

I'm going to have to say that if you're buying a helmet, you must, not should, try it on first. Proper fit is not only important for comfort, but essential for safety.

Here's some info you guys might find interesting.

List of FIA Approved Helmets According to FIA Standard 8860-2004

This standard was introduced after Magny-Cours 2004 and is unique to Formula 1. The helmets are the same as what was being used before, except now are made of carbon-fibre, with the exclusion of the Bell Racestar HP3, which was newly introduced this year.

Helmet Choices of 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship Drivers

Schuberth

Michael Schumacher
    Rubens Barrichello
    Ralf Schumacher
    Nick Heidfeld
    Mark Webber

Arai

Fernando Alonso
    Kimi Raikkonen
    Juan Pablo Montoya
    David Coulthard
    Giancarlo Fisichella
    Takuma Sato
    Christian Klien
    Vitantonio Liuzzi
    Narain Karthikeyan
    Tiago Monteiro
    Christijan Albers
    Patrick Friesacher
    Pedro de la Rosa
    Alexander Wurz
    Antonio Pizzonia
    Anthony Davidson
    Ricardo Zonta
    Robert Doornbos

Bell

Jenson Button
    Jacques Villeneuve
    Felipe Massa

Sparco

Jarno Trulli

:)

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Never seen Arai advertised in America. I will have to look.

17. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    FIA approved helmet lists??? For the love of g-d folks, it's autocross, not Speed World Challenge. Just about anything that will prevent you from going "ow!" when your head thunks the window/a-pillar/roof in the *highly* unlikely event that you roll or crash your car will do.

Geez...next thing you know, you folks will be recommending flame retardant nomex suits and a HANS device to go around cones in a parking lot.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL - True, SCCA AX you only need a M2000 helmet, which is motorcycle for impact protection, but no fire. They are much cheaper! I got a good new M helmet on ebay for $75. However, if you want to do any track days, go ahead and get the SA.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    True, but you only have one head and even with modern science, they're not easily swapped out.

Don't skimp on the safety stuff.

20. alexpez

alexpez Rookie

Jul 20, 2005
    yep, thats a doh! moment, i probably had the sega arcade game F355 Challenge interferring with GTR in my brain!

f360, f550, f575.

cool sim, and as well as race craft they can be a great way to learn about race car setup too.

back on topic now - have fun!

21. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Driving Impressions in NJ has Arai helmets and anything else you need. I went there once and went kinda apesh$t with stuff which was overkill, lol Arai GP4, OMP mito gloves, diadora boots, lol. Got a good deal though. I believe the gentleman's name was Greg.

22. alexpez

alexpez Rookie

Jul 20, 2005
    doesnt jeff gordon wear arai too?

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    He does and so does Jimmy Johnson and maybe Mark Martin. Great helmet, i love mine

24. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I highly recommend Racer Wholsale, www.racerwholesale.com. Had fantastic service from them this year.

I tried a G-Force helmet from them and it was a tremendous value. I did go back to Bell and Racer Wholesale made the switch easy. I find Bell fits me best. Try them all, but my vote is for Bell.

Don't forget to get a good pair of driving shoes and buy them 1/2 size smaller than you normally would. Remember, these shoes are *not* made for walking.

As for gloves, unless they're required by the promoter or sanction rules, they're simply for posing. Racing gloves are for racing and track days are not racing. Gloves are for fire protection and with gloves you lose a bit of steering feedback.

25. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    As do most of the Champ Car drivers.