Auto Dealer in STL - Red Flags | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Auto Dealer in STL - Red Flags

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ccantrell, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    QUOTE=ccantrell]Hi,

I am in the process of buying my first Ferrari :) Can't wait!!

I am sure each one of you have been in my situation and tried not let your emotions affect your buying decision...

Thanks as always for anyone's input!!!!
    -chris[/QUOTE]
    Chris,
    I'd bag it and go for another car. Buying a Ferrari, like you say or anything for that matter, should be a pleasurable experience. There are a lot of good cars around and many good dealers. The one DrTax suggested sounds pretty good. Keep your cash and excitement for another dealer and car. Whatever you buy get the records in your hot little hands, talk to the guys who serviced the car, get a PPI, see the car and drive it. When I bought my 348 and Testarossa I was able to get some pre purchase "What to look out for" data from the web and Fchat members. May be the same data is available on the 355? Good luck with your purchase. Take your time.
    Keep in the fast lane,

Jim

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Absolutely with you on this one Ty.

3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Here is an examlpe of D. Schmitt Motorcars pricing.
    1976 308 GTB (fiberglass) serial # 19775.

D.Schmitt "showroom" price $50K, e-bay "buy now" price (2/04) $37K.

In Jan/04 the same car was for sale at Auto Port LTD., San Diego, CA for $28K and was also on e-bay but did not reach reserve with a high bid of $21.6K.

With that kind of profit margin they don't have to satisfy customers.

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well I agree with Schmitts mechanic a compression test is not going to show valve guide problems. BUT, it will show the health of the engine, ie rings, valves themselves, and cylinder walls. I can understand why he would not want to let his car go to a mechanic to get picked apart. Because what happens some of the time is the customer doesn't buy the car and the dealer gets to fix whatever, the mechanic didn't finish. I.E leaving screws out of panels removed, bla bla bla.

However, The customer is king and If he/she wants a compression test, you do it! You find a mechanic both of you trust to do good work and get it done.

This guy fails the customer service test. Don't deal with people you dont like.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    How in the world can someone like this stay in business? Would you simply depend on selling bentleys to doddering grannies? Generally if eBay feedback is less than 98% positive it seems to be a bad sign. I think it takes alot for the average person to leave bad feedback. I agree, a purple dealership is a bad sign.....