Autocar- "new" Dino?======= | FerrariChat

Autocar- "new" Dino?=======

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Apr 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had a look at it this morning, first impressions look good I like the styling.

Only comment I will make at this stage is that because of the proposed cost and expected volumes made, that exclusivity factor might not be there anymore.

Still, nice looking car.

3. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    i don't think they should add another car to the range, especially if its a cheaper and smaller one.
    you will probably c more people with them, a bit like Porsche good cars but every tom d*ck and harrys got one, u know what i mean
    if u going to spend a lot of money u want to get something that no one has or not many people have.
    Aston Martin are falling in the same pit.
    i think its just about making money to the car makers.

what u think

4. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The cost isn't really the issue, its the volumes being made(4-8000 a year) which will dilute the exclusivity.

If they reduce the volume made to about, for arguments sake, say 1000 per annum, it would make a more attractive buy, but they won't do that as i'ts obviously about money and they feel a car at this level will stand alongside the new Aston and will prove to be very lucrative, shame but it's the way of the world and even Ferrari at some stage had to sell their soul to the accountants.

But hey its still Ferrari and any Ferrari is a good Ferrari!

5. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    Thats a shame really, but i guess a Ferrari is a Ferrari at the end of the day and were gona LOVE them no mater what .

what u say

6. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's going to kill the value of 355's and 360's.

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The proposed car's at least 2 yrs away from production and will cost double a 355 and prob a 360 by then. I think we'll be alright ;)

8. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Naeem, I think there is an element of truth in that - sure, its a Ferrari, so it will have the gene's of the more desirable cars, but as Steve has said, I think a mass produced car will take some of the mystique away from the Ferrari brand.

IMO, I think is happening with Lamborghini - the Gallardo is a wonderful car, but 3,500 a year makes them more available and will affect prices, so making them more attainable to the average man. Not a bad thing you might think - but Grouch Marks had a point - "I dont want to be a member of any club that would have me as a memeber" (or whatever he said...)

9. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    TRUE

10. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    Another thing i forgot to mention was the shap and design why are thay making all the cars look the same like Mercs and now the Astons the DB9, AMV8, Vanq i can tell the dDifference but most people dont have a clue.
    i mean the 612 S is fantastic But the 575 M replacment prototype looks exactly the same except it is not as long and now this the dino.

what u think

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    It looks great. But I agree about the dilution of the marque.
    Perhaps it should just be badged as a Dino not a Ferrari, like the original 246's were.

12. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    But then so will the 430, and the 575 replacement, and the increase in the school dinner budget, and the DFS summer sofa sale!

According to the prophets of doom on F-chat, by Xmas, we will all have to PAY someone to take our cars away!

It is possible to talk ones'self into recession!

Anyway, I'm never selling my 355, so I don't care if everyone thinks it's only worth a straight swop for a plastic dog-turd!:D

13. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    Another thing i forgot to mention was the shap and design why are thay making all the cars look the same like Mercs and now the Astons the DB9, AMV8, Vanq i can tell the dDifference but most people dont have a clue.
    i mean the 612 S is fantastic But the 575 M replacment prototype looks exactly the same except it is not as long and now this the dino.

what u think

14. reggie

reggie Guest

I must be the only one who isnt liking the look of 'Modern' Ferrari's in the same way im not liking any modern BMW's. Think the fronts are all the ok but the back ends, not nice.

Love the 355, 360, 550, 575, 456 , really dont like the 430, not a fan of the 612, the 575 replacement looks like a medium 612 and this new 'dino' looks like a small 612. Im very dissapointed to say the least in the styling. In the same way i like the old 3 series, 5 series and 7 series BMW's, but the new 3, 5, 7 and now 6, all got orrid back ends.

Obvioulsly this isnt taking into account the way it goes, but i like a complete package from my cars, looks, power, handling etc, and i dont think im going to be a 'modern' Ferrari man. Prehaps its the old cliche of getting old and starting to like the Aston's more. Ha Ha

and yes, the volume of cars will determine how the Ferrari brand is portrayed in public eyes and it looks like it could be heading a bit , dare i say 'mainstream'

15. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I think my Dino looks better!

16. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    my letter of intent went in today.....you need to be quick!!

Amazingly the garage even new about it, but only from the press, not from ferrari I believe, why is it so poor communication from manufacturer to dealership, it's not only Ferrari thats like this.

All I can say is that Bob Purves of Graypaul Edinburgh was very nice to talk to and didn't do the usual..."Sorry sir, new car...... sorry we know nothing about it, can't help you.....move along nothing to see folks!!! and then you put the phone down thinking, what are they selling????!!!!"

Paul

17. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I'm just surprised its taken so long to go for this competitve Porsche/AM market.

Couldn't give a fig about any new baby Ferrari. Nothing will have the dramatic looks of my 348! If anything, it may even accelerate the increase in value of the classic 70's/80's models.

Yesterday I looked at a beautiful 308GT4 (chiaro blue) with a daytona tan interior. Fantastic lines and yet so graceful. Glad it goes completely over my head:)

18. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    I agree - i hope they change their mind and it never goes into production! IMO it reduces the exclusivity of Ferrari and they should stay with their current model range....i think the current range of f-cars competes with all thats currently 'worth' competing with on the market quite adequately.

19. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the possibility of picking up a 2-3 year old Ferrari for 60k will have quite an impact on the used market.

20. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I think it's a good thing. 12000 cars a year is still hardly any.

I see about 10 ferraris a year round here, so they will still be exclusive and an exciting spot.

no one has mentioned the front-mid engine...?

21. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Yes, the used Porsche market!:D

22. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    You are!

It looks f'all like a 612S, but a fairly good 21st C marriage of a Daytona and 275GTB....which strangely enough the article mentions.

Now how the hell anybody can think it bad that a 21stC 275GTB is comming out is beyond me!

It's also bloody rich comming from the 360 boys, *****ing about this. Whats wrong lads? Finally woke up and realised you've bought a fat, overweight, fugly motor and that Ferrari have taken you for mugs for the last 6yrs?

Whatsmore since when did Ferrari comming up with a car to take on Aston Martin ever get declared bad????? Aston announce they are going to build a car to kick 911 arse, Ferrari announce they are going to design a car to kick boh Aston and 911 arse! Fan-bleeding-tastic in my book. This brings us back to real cars.

Porsche have spent the last 10yrs giving Ferrari a kicking in the road dept. and Ferrari have **** all about it, now at last we have a proper GT fight back on our hands.

Devalued the brand? Restored my faith in the brand frankly.

My letter of intent went into MC at Sevenoaks this afternoon. By all accounts the phones hadnt stopped ringing all day about it. Ferrari cant build this car soon enough for me.

23. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Haven't read the article...was wondering why none of the shops seemed to have any copies of Autocar left!

Can anyone tell me if it's a 2+2, and if it has a hatchback?

24. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I'm sure you are just the sort of owner Ferrari are looking for!

p.s. If you ever want to really buy a Ferrari, try sending them a letter of intent wrapped up in a cheque for 5 grand! I understand they use letters of intent when the Andrex runs short!;)

25. reggie

reggie Guest

Ha Ha Ha