Autoenginuity Trouble | FerrariChat

Autoenginuity Trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2NA, Sep 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #1 2NA, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    I don't use it often but when I do, I need it, typically for F1 gearbox.

I've owned it for a few years and I've been having trouble using the tool for more than a year. It doesn't talk to most of the systems (suspension, dashboard, airbag, ABS) even though it wastes time trying to pull codes from them. A lot of the displayed parameters seem to be just space fillers and the bi-directional tests are mostly gone. Last week I connected it to a 430 and got an error message telling me I need to update to use the system.

Only Generic OBD2 will work now (the stuff a $60 code reader will give you). At this user level (I paid a lot of $ for it), updates are supposed to be optional. Autoenginuity hasn't added any new Ferrari models or features in a couple years, so I should be good to go.

I sent the company an email. The response was that the system "somehow automatically updated the software" and my only choice was to ante up another $450 to buy the current activation codes.
    Apparently it isn't possible to reinstall an older version. I'm screwed until they get more $.

The last time I bought the $450 update 2 years ago (to get their newly advertised Volvo coverage), I discovered that Volvo was something that they were trying to roll out sometime in the future, but not yet. I tried again months later, no change. Also a tech support call about problems using an Android tablet (that I purposely bought for this), uncovered that their Android version software doesn't work right. I was wasting my time with it. I was instructed to buy a late model Ipad instead. I did, It worked for a while, then some of the features disappeared.

I feel like it's a shakedown. Talking with their support techs has never given me a "warm fuzzy". They basically disavow any knowledge of anything Ferrari related. One of them told me he didn't want the "liability" of potentially damaging a Ferrari by plugging their tool into one. WTF? I'm not crazy about sending them more money unless I have some confidence that it won't be wasted.

Autoenginuity was acquired by another company a while back. I suspect that it could be related to their customer service issues.

Is any of this familiar to you?

Tazandjan, are your mechanics still using it?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- Affirmative, and it has worked well on Ferraris and a bunch of other manufacturers' cars, including my 575M F1 system.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'd like to talk to them. Can you connect me?