Automatic Watches | FerrariChat

Automatic Watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Vegas-Guy, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    #1 Vegas-Guy, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Hi all,

I have a Breitling Supper Ocean II (new) that I wear daily around 11-12 hrs. I find that about 2 days a week when I put it on in the morning the time has stopped at some point during the night and I have to manually wind it to get it back going again. Is this normal? When I bought it I was told if I wear it daily I shouldn't need to keep it on a winder or need to do anything and it should keep time.

2. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Nope for sure should not do that- I would take it back to the dealer- sorry to hear of your trouble

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No it's not normal.

There are some other factors at play, but that's generally correct.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Are you winding it 40 times to start it? If you wear it but you aren't very active that could be a reason.

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Normal activity should keep the rotor spinning enough to wind it. But, if you're relatively inactive, it might be that you don't move your wrist enough to keep it wound. There are times that I sit at a computer for hours and hardly move my left wrist at all during that time, just my fingers and right wrist. I have a couple of watches with power meters and I can see that the power store has declined during that time. Your situation could also be compounded by only wearing it 11-12 hours a day (many owners keep a watch on closer to 14-16 hours).

If your daily activity is active and energetic and it still stops, then it may need service.

6. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Thanks for the input guys. Maybe just need to wind it and move around more..:) I do sit in front of a computer around 9hrs a day so I can see where it might not get that much movement, makes sense since it doesn't happen on the weekends.

7. thepoopologist

Jul 4, 2017
    If you're winding it around 40 times to get it started, there's adequate movement during the day, and you're wearing it daily then you shouldn't need to wind it again. If it stops despite all this, then its anything from the rotor to the mainspring to the oils in the watch (I doubt this is the case if its new)