Automobile Magazine clocks the Portofino's 0-60 at a "SCINTILLATING" 3.1 seconds | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Automobile Magazine clocks the Portofino's 0-60 at a "SCINTILLATING" 3.1 seconds

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Golden Steed, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I echo your statements. I enjoyed a 355 and 360 when i was younger. Certainly the 355 wouldnt work for me now but i do often think about picking up another 360...

But the Cali serves such a different purpose. To me as long as its 'fast enough' which I know its subjective, I dont even need to know a cars 0-60 times. Heck I thought my Viper was too fast for me and these days there are Sedans posting Viper numbers. Its a different world

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve not driven a 360 and may not. I did test drive and seriously considered an f430 but I had major issues with cabin space in the f430. Also haven’t had the opportunity to test a 458 but did have a 488 for 3 days on my last vacation and that car had plenty of cabin space and quite comfortable seats but just felt like it really wanted to leap out and go. I suspect the 458 would be a nice sweat spot but I also don’t like how low those cars sit either.

The California is a perfect balance. It wasn’t too terrible to get into and out of, plenty of cabin space, nice ride quality, hard top or convertible, plenty of zip. Even my wife liked the California and we not agree while we like the California the T is what we would prefer. We are on the bubble with the Portofino as there are things I like and dislike but it’s a nice step forward. Wish the Cali had larger back seats but that was addressed with the portofino. And the numbers are improved, as they should be, with the portofino as well but I think the majority of people and the folks it is marketed twards don’t care a whole lot how fast they get to 60 mph or 60 ft times and suspect many of them would frighten themselves if they tried.

anunakki likes this.
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Oh, I think you're totally missing the entire point of this car: you get to do BOTH.

You get to race around the streets like a hooligan in a car that is gorgeous, AND you can use it to pick up the groceries. That's the magic of this car.

You get the awesome and the practical in a package that has Sofia Vergara curves. And you can use it every day. It's the ultimate win/win.

4. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why ? because its slightly faster ? I can be a hooligan in my California if i wanted but I outgrew that over 10 years ago. I do agree the Port is significantly better looking than the California. Thats the only thing that tempts me. The performance increases arent important to me.

TheMayor likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All these "super cars" today are way to fast for their needs. Its like "dong envy". Mine goes faster than yours. Its just numbers on a page. It's like an accountant's view of what is great about a machine.

The Portofino is by far the best hardtop coupe to convertible conversion design and engineering in the world. That to me makes it worth buying because frankly, that's more important than a few more tenths on a drag strip.

My guess is eventually they will sell this car for less money with a V6 and better fuel economy. And, I bet it will be fast enough for most people.

Carnut and anunakki like this.
  6. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Sadly, I haven't... :oops:

anunakki likes this.
  7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Honestly when I say 'outgrew' my intention is not to judge those who still do it. To each their own. I just dont find it fun anymore. Too much to lose if something bad happens. At 25 I had nothing to lose so i tore up Sunset bld in Beverly Hills every night. Spun out a few times as well and lucky i didnt kill anyone.

Golden Steed likes this.
  8. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Having more time to think about it, I think this is what it is: a GT is a gentleman's car, and rear-mid engine is a sportsman's car.

A rear mid-engine Ferrari says "I'm a capable track technician" or "I have more money than sense".

A GT says "I'm a dashing man about town" or "I'm too old to get out of my 488"