Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by PETER@TEAM AI, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Too bad on missing out on Platinum guys- stunning car either way !!

Remind me, is Platinium at Cavallino 95 points or higher or 97 or higher?

2. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We started with a known stock car with 46,000 miles on it. The prior owner to me bought it in 1982 with 16K miles. Drove it a lot and then stored it for 20 years when we went to the storage spot several years ago to pick it up. However between 80-82 the second owner drove it 4000 miles but also painted it the red. When it sold in 1980 it was the yellow you see today. I will post what we learn in two weeks and final pics after the rain stops here this week.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mark it is 97 points now. Changed 3 years ago if my memory is correct. We worked on some that Platinum at the 95 level.

Rosey likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    97 at both Cavallino and FCA. What people always skip over is that at the same time the standard deductions were completely revamped and we have placed greater emphasis on originality and less on condition so its my opinion the bar is no higher. One example is paint used to be 5 points max. It is now 3 points max. That means you can strip the car to bare metal and still be eligible for a platinum. One example used in one of the seminars was a picture of a 250 GTO covered with dirt and mud. It was explained to the group there were no deductions there. We are concerned with originality.

BigTex and 308gts79 like this.
  5. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Brian reinforced the point of "we did not know what we did not know". We spent tremendous time and energy in originally and equal time and money on returning the car to factory "new" condition. We got tremendous accolades from the judges and attendees on the fit, finish and even the originality....in 2 weeks will know what we missed.

6. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    And you have worked on some cars that scored Platinum under the new 97 point threshold! My 512 BBi was platinum and scored 97 points at Cavallino in 2017. It will be very interesting to hear what the deductions were ---hopefully you will share them with the Fchat community and we can all learn from them - or argue against them!!

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say I am looking forward to hearing the judges feedback.
    Did they tell you what score or level you achieved?

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is a local event and not a national one. Some of those deductions we would probably not have taken.

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Is the national judging level less stringent than local?

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This car being a 1978 IS a US (North American, more accurately) Catalyst car, which brings the additional engine lid louvers.

The upside down tire mounting in the spare is correct to make room for the hard windshield washer jug. Actually correct for the soft bag early cars too, Owners Manual shows the Tool Kit there....
    A lot of tires have white lettering "just under" the black mold rubber, I would have shot it flat black, and gone on with life.
    Same with the four on the ground.

Did you refinish the wheels?
    I need some help with paint blending there, too.

Dunlop now makes "our size" in a black sidewall, and "purists" would want the Michelin XWX.
    Being a Goodyear man, I am glad to see Dunlop support us, and I use German made Fuldas, also by Goodyear.

Points for putting the screwdriver back but seriously, what if it rattles??!!!

I would love a new underbody pan, and I need to know who does your seats and door panels as mine "have gone on ahead".....
    Congrats on your results and for making "another Yellow one"!!

I think Rifledriver simply means the EARLY 308s are "older than he is"......so the cars without triangle door window gaskets, things like that, are the reason for his research.

Crowndog likes this.
  12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They re really striving to get ALL National judging to the same place.

Concourso Italiano is a local, (California) not FCA event.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The first PDI I ever did was a 308 GTS and I already had been working on Ferraris for several years. No, they are not older than I.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They asked me in New Orleans if I was going to detail the mud off.

"No, let me move my boots and whiskey to the trunk, and you can go."

It had Fog Lights and all kinds of crazy jazz, I had not had time to remove.
    He said: "Those are very nice (original 14" Campy) wheels..."

I went for the smoked salmon.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry.

Then the '76 -'77 are in your experience.

16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #92 Rifledriver, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Lots of overlap but yes, they are for the most part club members. Drawn from different pools sometimes and many local events do not adhere to the same methods, deductions etc. Concorso has been doing it far closer to the national system than most. It is one of the better local events to be sure. The guy who took that over has been doing a good job. I know him pretty well, we had dinner together at Cavallino.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #93 Rifledriver, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Often done completely differently. We really stress originality over condition but that isn't always the case in local events. I am unaware of any requirements they all be the same so it can lead to a little confusion. I have been to local events where whoever was in charge gave us totally different instructions than at national events. 100% FCA event and we threw the book away. Happens regularly.

19. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We should have blacked out the white lettering even though for judging we understood it does not matter. It is visual variation to me that we will change, too out of place.

Yes we did paint the rims. The main challenge, like all the painting we do here, is the preparation. It takes the most time buts gets the best finish when sprayed. We are actually very proud how they turned out and held up as they were sprayed several years ago.

The screw driver is sandwiched between two sheets of insulation which are compressed by an aluminum pan so no worries on rattling. It will form into the foam just like we found it!

Still waiting for our score sheets. Staying more any busy catching up from being out of the shop.

20. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    How did the windshield install go? It looks like a perfect fit which, as I understand, is not typical. If you don't mind me asking, from where did you source the windshield?

-F

21. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Looks like you did a great job. Based on what I see, this is one of the nicest 308 GTS's out there; better than the non-restored cars I've seen.

Just to throw it out there for future reference, some of the images of the wheel wells showed a finish that appears to be gloss dark gray, not flat black as can seen in some of the other shots. Not sure if that is just the flash causing it to look that way.

Just to be clear, the factory finish for the wheel wells and underside and stuff is flat black. Wurth trim paint is the best match I've seen.

Thanks for posting, great work!

-F

22. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Just so I understand, if you repaint a car in the original color, using the current 308 color from PPG (or whoever supplies it these days), do you get a points deduct for that?

If you do all that but change it from red to yellow, does that trigger the points deduct? How is it supposed to work?

-F

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    FCA does not deduct points for a car being painted in non original colour. The colour does however need to be correct to the year and model of the car.

There is no points deduction for the type or brand of paint used. Pre-1980 cars were painted in single stage lacquer and most cars today are painted in base clear or single stage non-lacquer paint for which again there are no points deductions.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Kind of but not really. We are very tolerant of paint.

No one is carrying paint samples or a way to determine if it is correct or not. We have no desire to get in pissing matches over whether it is "Correct" or not. If it is a color or close to a color that could conceivably come from Ferrari it is OK by us. If you have a purple car you should have documents it came that way, otherwise the topic should not come up.

Nuvolari likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #100 Rifledriver, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    You are a very, very long way from having any understanding of what we try and do. We don't care about any of that.

Not looking to beat anyone up but why would we care about any of that? Cars get driven, they get repainted, products change but look pretty much the same.

Where is a justifiable negative in any of that? Does it end up looking like a Ferrari? Thats what matters.

Rosey and Thomas Magnum like this.