Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by PETER@TEAM AI, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Why would you get a 1/2 point deduction for a bumper bar repair (i.e respray) ?
    Not too sure what you mean by that.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I meant a bad repair.

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Ok, that makes perfect sense now. :)

4. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Our view of originality is not new and shiny but what was the car like when it left the factory. And it was not always great by any modern production standard. In many cases it was crappy compared to today's standards. We work, service, maintain and restore many vintage cars and a challenge is people compare todays standards to cars built decades ago. They want that contemporary ride quality, water tightness, wind noise, braking, cockpit noise......in their beautiful vintage car. It just was not engineered in. Then the question of originality vs expectations of a perfect car is my conversation with the customer.

Rosey likes this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You raise a good point.
    Being a hand made car, they have manufacturing faults as a result. A paint blemish with a spec of dust, a dropped stitch on a seat, a screw head in a slightly different shade of silver to the others.
    It's those things that make owning and driving the cars we do (3x8's) so special and so unlike even a modern Ferrari like the 488.
    Over restoring these cars can be a problem. They take away the human factor and turn them into our modern interpretation of what we would like them to be and not what they were actually like.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is exactly why we have the judging rules we do. We prefer cars keep that original inconsistency, the imperfections of a hand made car. If our judging rewarded perfection over originality it would drive the owners to remove all of that individuality the cars had. We dont want a bunch of Barbie dolls. The Corvette club and Porsche club can do that.

It is only original once, wear and patina is a result of the normal order of things.

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I always chuckle when I think about the time I heard the story about the judges debating about the correct shade of the factory yellow paint torquing marks on the engines bolts in a particular cars engine bay and then a guy who worked in the factory back in the day butted in to say they would go down to the local hardware store and buy whatever yellow colour paint they had on special.
    Brilliant !!

Crowndog, thorn and vaccarella like this.
  8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Heck! I have a small "factory installed" paint run below my rear right marker light!

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They usually weren't that sloppy but I have seen a few looked like they were painted with a roller.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I recall back in '85 when I bought my car there was a 288 GTO at the dealer (I enquired about buying it. I'll leave it at that). The lower part of the driver's door, below the belt line, had a paint sag in it from one end to the other. It look like they just poured the paint on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Beautiful work on the restoration, but [and I KNOW the owner can do as he/she wants] why change it from its original color?

12. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Have not discussed our score sheets yet but agreeing with the essence of this comment... we were told our original seats, I bought the car from the second owner who owned it all but 3 years since built and most was in storage... were not the correct form and shape compared to original. It is the original foam with new covers...

Rosey likes this.
  13. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you are referring to the OP car color used, that is the factory original color. It was repainted red in 1981 and again some time in the 90's.... i can find the exact date as the person who painted it still works for me.....

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I stand corrected! :)

15. preachhames

preachhames Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2016
    Lincolnton, NC
    Full Name:
    Gregory Clark Hames
    I was able to see this 308 in person at various stages during its restoration.

What an undertaking by the folks at Automotive International, but what a reward for both A.I. & the owner...eccellente!!!

Crowndog likes this.
  16. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The judging results came back a few weeks ago. 95.5 Delayed sharing until I had more information. We missed somethings. Highlights from the judges statements: headlights opened too slow, engine ran a little rough, wrong finish on screws for front fender louvers and door panels, too shiny finish on one of the canisters in engine bay, rear boot zipper cover gasket is two edged not a single edge, bonnet strut (to hold open) upper mounting bolt was wrong direction, inner fender wheels correct finish and over spray but should be hand brushed not sprayed... we get those. Some more challenging to understand: Ripple on dash we could not see a week after when we filmed the dash, but judges saw a 1" x 6" ripple that is not longer there. Assumption it shrunk away. Also judges deducted for these items but no guidance on a better solution: carpet not original loop design (NLA), center cap in wheels not original but NLA, agreed we had the correct Ferrari current parts superseding which we understood was the criteria (no clear answer), wrong seat form and fit but they were the original seats so discussing this still with judges. Wrong fitment of the targa top gasket but seem they were comparing to a 1978 or later which was not the same a 77 which had a factory recall to correct. Some of this is an issue on restoration vs preservation. Unfortunately a clear answer is not there and it is a judgement call.

Just sharing, we understand the judges evaluated the car and had several things that did not make it platinum. Also the judges have a hard job. Anyone person has a hard time knowing the subtleties of every production run of every year. Plus a buyer could special order things like leather, and our leather being the wrong color was noted by the judges.

Learning experience again even though our shop has 5 platinum's and a few preservation. Learning every day!

Rosey and JuLiTrO like this.
  17. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Fugedaboudit. The car looks great! Great work!

-F

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are right about the carpet...interior should be a loop pile, and you will have to find something vintage and sew them.

Modern plush pile starts about 1980 or so, did you make them or buy a kit??

The trunk inserts, if there are a good "go buy"....but it's basically cheap nylon loop pile.
    I could offer a picture, mine are still original....

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Seats are really subjective, as most re-dos look overly "plump"...but it's a hard balance, as the original foam at this point is shot to &^%^&%*&!!

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Would you like a pair of door threshold plates?
    I have an extra set.... (posted a picture)..

21. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The seats still have the original foam which was in good shape or we would have cut new foam. In further discussions with one of the judges who was on the team scoring our car, the issue was related to alignment of the black strip in the seat. He said it was a small difference but was noted. The carpet is like the center caps... once NLA can you use Ferrari superseded and not get points off because worn originals get points off after a restoration (fine in preservation). He agreed what we have is what many other restored Platinum 3x8's have used as it is as close as possible to OEM. The trunk seal we just missed, we have 5 3x8's in the shop now and all are one thick seal not double lipped like ours.... Result of not having more time to set back and assess after completion. Minor to fix. Thanks for the offer on the threshold plates but ours are in perfect shape. We will work on it over the summer and show again!!

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most of that I cannot see so cannot comment. I will comment on the dash. I judged an F50 whose dash looked perfect the day of the show. Next day sitting in the shade of the garage at Watkins Glen it had a huge baggy wrinkle in it. I laughed about it with the cars handler and he said "Yea, that comes and goes".

If any of their answers leave you with questions, ask for further information. I'm not looking to bust their balls but part of the whole exercise is to help you get the car right. Or at least understand. If you have grounds to disagree and proof of it make that case too.

Another point not considered by many. The judges are working under a strict time limit. Its not long enough but it is what it is. Two different teams on two different days are going to have some differences in what is seen and what is missed.

Rosey likes this.
  23. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Brian

Thank you for the reply. The judges have been very open to questions. The chief judge handled a few and one of the other judges took more than an hour with me. Very good conversation. We understand judging is subjective and objective and in the longer conversation a lot of knowledge specific to our car and the thought process was shared. As you said that is the correct goal and is important for the betterment of Ferrari community and all owners to share knowledge.

Peter

24. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Our 308 Restoration tracked through this thread went to auction this weekend and sold. We had originally sold it last year to Steve Matchett, a former race mechanic with the Benetton F1 team while Michael Schumacher was a driver, a Formula One and E TV announcer and author. The car remained with us during his ownership. He consigned it through Mecum and we are proud to say it sold for $220,000. It was an amazing journey for us at Automotive International. I am very proud of the team.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dbacr, Rosey, preachhames and 2 others like this.
  25. preachhames

preachhames Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2016
    Lincolnton, NC
    Full Name:
    Gregory Clark Hames
    Congrats Peter!

Loved seeing the hammer fall @ $200,000!

Recorded Mecum all weekend to make sure I didn't miss the auction . . . with buyer's fee & transportation the new owner is all in for around $222,000 WOW!